M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

BAS/ESP,ETS,ABS,brake worn, check engine, Brake lights on & will not shift out of 1st

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy BAS/ESP,ETS,ABS,brake worn, check engine, Brake lights on & will not shift out of 1st

my 01 ML320 sat for about 2 months. when starting, all these light came on and it would not shift. switched the relay for the ABS system with the one next to it and lights went off and it shifted find. when i turned the ML off and restarted all the lights came back on and it would not shift. tried switching the relay again but this time it did not work. limped it in to the dealer with a resulting hard code of c1000 which is the BAS control module but the dealer insists it is the ABS pump. i asked him how it would shift when changing the relay if it was the pump. he said pump was fine but the internal computor was at fault. i then asked him why it read code c1000 for the control module if it was the pump. he did not have a good answer. any suggestions. both parts are expensive (pump = $2,000 & control module =$595) but the module is what read and it is reportedly the one that will cause the shifter to lock up. any help would be greatly appreciated. i understand the electical system for this model pose alot of problems. are there technical bullitens or recalls? thanks for the help!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same problem

I am also curious to this as I have the EXACT same problem in detail, and nobody seems to be able to help
Old 09-30-2006, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
According to the wiring harness a problem like this can be caused by
- broken ESP ring (part of the steering column)
- damage to ESP harness

The ESP harness manages
- transmission gear changes
- BAS
- ESP
- worn brake lining

So if there is a shutdown caused by an errant earth wire (such as ESP ring damage) then it will be all related.

Only a diagnostic can reveal the cause.

Need to check
- lateral sensor
- brake lights
- brake sensor
- steering angle sensor
- speed sensors on wheels
- brake wear sensors
- main ESP harness at ESP module
- any recalls on the chassis number
Old 10-01-2006, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 ML430, '84 380SL, '04 XC90, '12 X5
ABS and other lights

I don't know if this will solve your problem but might help you add a candidate or eliminate one:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...light=abs+pump

I'd also check your washer fluid reservoir for leaks at the seam. If present, then the leaks drip right onto the ABS module as documented in the above link. This may not help but might be worth the read.