M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML Speaker System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 S500, 05 Jeep GC, 06 Acura TL, 04 BMW 530i, 98 Jag xk8,
ML Speaker System

I am thinking about putting some new speakers in my ML

I counted 4 of them. 1 in each door. Am i missing some? i was trying to decide what would be a good speaker to get? and does anyone have a set up like this. I just want to replace the oem speakers and add an amp. Let me know guys thanks alot

I currently have a box in the back thats all bass so im just looking for sum vocals really Treble? i guess u can call it..
Old 11-22-2006, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
' 02 ML500
Originally Posted by Riffyb

I counted 4 of them. 1 in each door. Am i missing some? i was trying to decide what would be a good speaker to get? and does anyone have a set up like this. I just want to replace the oem speakers and add an amp. Let me know guys thanks alot

I currently have a box in the back thats all bass so im just looking for sum vocals really Treble? i guess u can call it..

You don't say what year or type ML you have. Mine ('02 ML500) has tweeters in the front door posts, one each in the front door panels, one each in the seat bases and I understand I have a subwoofer under my butt! There are even grilles for speakers in the rear cargo area down-posts (I hope there are speakers under them!)!
Old 11-22-2006, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 MB C240 & 2004 ML 350
Originally Posted by Riffyb

Mine is a 04 ML 350 and I also have the tweeters in the door. I don't know how much of a difference it would make to change the amp and door speakers...though, i'm admittedly a novice and wouldn't know the difference.

My config, for the C240 was to change the subwoofer and add 2 amps. The Bose speakers in the door and tweeters worked just fine for my untrained ears. By adding the sub and amps however changed the dynamics of how the unit produced sound. Then again, I also changed the headunit.

For the ML350, I worked with the same premise, that if the config sounded okay to me in the C240, then I'll try the same setup. Remove the one OEM sub from under the seat and replaced it with a better sub. Remove the OEM amp and replace it with a better amp. The sub has it's own amp and the door speaker have their own amp. A good installer will bypass any fibre optics and not mess with anything the Benz needs to utilize its on board diagnostic. (we tested the ML be unplugging the unit under the front passenger seat to see how it would affect the ML. This caused the SRS light to come on. So, we left all those wires plugged in and just relocated the unit)