M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Bilstein, Koni or Eibachs?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Bilstein, Koni or Eibachs?????

I'm posting this to whoever can help!!!

I'm still in the mood to lower my 05 500 (after updating to 19" rims). The plan is to do H&R at the rear the use the torsion bar up front. However, to match the shorter springs my choices are Koni, KYB or Eibach shocks all around. I haven't been able to find part numbers for these brands on the net. I find the ML320/250/430/55 but not the 500. Did MB do any drastic suspension changes for the 500? Does anyone here have any xperience with these shocks. Also, do we have a WIS on how to uninstall/reinatall the ML shocks/springs?
Old 10-13-2006, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFF YOU JACKIE
I did the Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks . Pretty stiff in the front with it lowered to their specs. I raised the front a half inch to get a better ride. It is now 31.5 in the rear (floor to center botttom point of fender) to 30.75 in the front. Softened up the ride considerably. This with a set of 20 x 10's on it, so really that is an ironic statement "soft ride" with those wheels... I called Bilstein direct and got the parts / shipped to my buddies shop in NJ. They put them on and adjusted them for me. I'll try and find the part number for you.

Originally Posted by Darkmann
I'm posting this to whoever can help!!!

I'm still in the mood to lower my 05 500 (after updating to 19" rims). The plan is to do H&R at the rear the use the torsion bar up front. However, to match the shorter springs my choices are Koni, KYB or Eibach shocks all around. I haven't been able to find part numbers for these brands on the net. I find the ML320/250/430/55 but not the 500. Did MB do any drastic suspension changes for the 500? Does anyone here have any xperience with these shocks. Also, do we have a WIS on how to uninstall/reinatall the ML shocks/springs?

Last edited by ldangeli; 10-13-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Thanks. I did call Bilstein and they gave me the part numbers for the shocks. Right now I'm waiting for a quote for installation from an independent shop. I did talk to my SA and she quoted me approximately $900 for the entire installation plus alignment. I asked her just as a comparison becasue I doubt MB will allow any of their shops to do this "upgrade". I don't mind the stiff ride, but I'm hoping that it will not be unbearable since I don't drive it that much and whenever I do, it's usually highway interstate trips. Also since I don't live in a metro area like DC, Philli or NY, I don't have to worry about moon crater pot holes!!!