M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Headlight bulb upgrade for a 98?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 ML 320
Headlight bulb upgrade for a 98?

I have looked back through various threads but have not found a clear answer, I am about to hand this car down to my kid, I don't care if it looks outdated. I don't want to buy new housings and change everything. I just want some brighter lights for him. What can be done in bulb changing and what is suppose to go in the empty hole in the housing. It already has a wire to it, the owners manual says opt. fog, but doesn't say what bulb.
Can anyone tell me what bulbs they have used?
Old 10-13-2006, 07:00 PM

'99 ML430, '84 380SL, '04 XC90, '12 X5
Headlight bulbs

The fog bulb number is in the owner's manual (H3 U (55w)). Avoid the temptation to use higher than 55 watts because some have reported wiring insulation burning. However, as I understand it, it is not "approved" for US because the location is "too high". If you put a bulb it it, it will NOT work unless you get the dealer to enable the function by programming the AAM. Many of us have the switch programmed to "work" but it will all depend on your dealer's desire to "cooperate".

For the H7 main headlight, you might want to consider the Philips VisionPlus. It is NOT available in the US because the beam is "longer" than "allowed". The light is definitely whiter than stock and the beam throw is slightly longer but my sense is the life is somewhat shorter than conventional bulbs. You can get these from various internet sources who ship generally from the UK.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:14 PM

98 ML 320
YuCrew Thanks, I found the H3 on the housing and went and bought bulbs...now I know why they don't work...Its a long way to a Benz dealer from my rual area, I guess that will wait 'til another day.
I went through some old posts and saw a guy that thought the Sylvania Silverstars were better than stock, so I bought a pair of those..
I will try them out later..
Old 10-18-2006, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 500sel/01 320e wag
The fog lights evidently did not meet "Department of Transportation" standards in some states. Therefore the bulbs were removed at the vehicle prep center and were disabled in the AAM. My dealer would not activate them, so i told them I was mounting the auxilliary lights (the connector is behind the washer tank) and they did. There are two options (1) activate lights, (2) also activate the indicator in the dash, it will give you an indication (green lamp) when they are on, in addition to the switch indicator. They charged 1/2 hour, it has to be done with the computer at the dealer.