Notices
M-Class (W163) 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Brake Pad Install Tips...

Old 10-20-2006, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XLR
Brake Pad Install Tips...

Hey guys I got my Porterfield RS4 brake pads today!
What about the brake paste the copper stuff do I really need that?
If so where do I get some? what type?
There seems to be holes for the sensors but not sure if there in the right place. Will have to wait and see. I have read before that I might have to drill them myself.
Is there a break-in procedure?
The pads I have on now squeal like a ***** and I know they'll only get worse as the temp drops.
And please if you guys have any pointers that be great. Thanks
Old 10-20-2006, 09:45 AM

09 ML320, 07 BMW 335i, 03 SL500
defintely use some anti-squeal, take some time, and i know there is a sensor on one side. ok use this write-up...its really good.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:43 PM

'99 ML430, '84 380SL, '04 XC90, '12 X5
Brake Pad Squeal

USE THE Paste. Other posts state brake paste should go on all metal-to-metal contact points, including the metal shims between the caliper and pad.
Here's one of the better articles about EXACTLY where to put some of the paste. https://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/Sta...BMar06Star.pdf The location described to put the paste, is not one of the most obvious ones.

Additionally, you old pads will tell you a lot. Inspect them thoroughly and notice where you see bare metal. Those spots are certainly a potential source for some of the squeal you were getting. Put paste at these spots on your new pads.

Last edited by YuCrew; 10-20-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:17 AM

XLR
Talking

Thanks for the help guys. WOW was this easy! Seriously, took me and my friend 35 minutes. Also got the brake paste at 002 auto parts. Pads that I removed were only about half gone compared to new ones. Squeal has been reduced about 90% but still some there. Arrgh. Whatever I can deal with this amount. Saved myself some dough. And learned something. A+!
Old 10-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
hey Ladi, didnt your porterfields come with there own silencing kit? I bought mine from formymercedes.com I believe and they came with a silencing kit... I sanded down the rotors, washed them, AND used some spray silencer... Prep time for 4 New Rotors was about an hour. And then you need to Bed the Pads... directions on Bedding are easily available...
Old 10-24-2006, 03:29 PM

XLR
Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
hey Ladi, didnt your porterfields come with there own silencing kit? I bought mine from formymercedes.com I believe and they came with a silencing kit... I sanded down the rotors, washed them, AND used some spray silencer... Prep time for 4 New Rotors was about an hour. And then you need to Bed the Pads... directions on Bedding are easily available...
WOW NO! I should have bought them from there but.... nope. I bought mine from a company out in Cali. 180 shipped. Just the fronts. They looked perfect, brand new not nicked or scraped all wrapped up in foam.

Put them on and so far the brakes have definitely quieted down A LOT! Bedded the pads and everything wont go hard on then for the first 500. But every now and then it likes to remind me. I think my rotors are cheap. Aren't crossed and slotted rotors suppose to be more anti-squeal anyway? Sanding them down seems like a good idea. But then after I few hundred miles your arent you back to were you started from?

The silencer kit?... damn I need to get my hands on that and see what's what.
thanks
Old 10-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

http://formymercedes.com/porterfield.asp

169 fronts, rears 79... front and rear are 248...

Man hit them up next time... I changed rotors and pads all at once... no squeal like 6 or 7 months later
Old 10-25-2006, 01:20 AM

XLR
If you remember I changed my pads and rotors out two years ago. To cross drilled /slotted. Put rotex gold on the back amazing low dust pads and the biggest pieces of crap satisfied's on the front. And thats were I went wrong after about a year they started giving my squeal. And it seemed like it was only getting worse. Thats why I opted. to do the premature brake job.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

I remember the awful racket your car made at the meet, lol... well All I can say is good luck with this one... if you find them squealling... just do an incredibly hard high speed brake and it makes it go away for days at a time...
Old 11-08-2006, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 Lunar Blue GL550, 06 Imola Red BMW X5 4.8is, 04 Gold Honda Ody
Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
I sanded down the rotors, washed them, AND used some spray silencer... Prep time for 4 New Rotors was about an hour. And then you need to Bed the Pads
I have the prep kit from formymercedes.com too, but thouight it is only for used rotors and not new ones. Do i need to prep my new rotors too?

Originally Posted by ///AMG55 View Post
Put rotex gold on the back amazing low dust pads and the biggest pieces of crap satisfied's on the front.
So did u use the Rotex pads up front? I am about to put Rotex all around with Brembo Drilled all around. Please let me know if you had issues with the Rotex.

Last edited by sbarsap; 11-08-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

no it says to prep even brand new rotors, used rotors need significantly more work to prep.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:49 PM

What timing! I got a call last night from my mom complaining about her front brakes squeeling. She has a 99 ML430, and the local shop (not stealership) is giving her alot of grief and unnecessary repairs. I'll be visiting her over the holidays and wondering if this is a DIY job for me. Although I've never changed brake pads before, I have done my share of oil changes and coolant flushes. I tend to leave brake work up to the pros, but you guys make this seem so straightforward.

Since I'll be at my mom's house and need to invest in some tools and equipment (jack stands, etc.), this may be more trouble and cost than having someone else take care of it. I just know that I would do it right; plus I can put in Porterfield pads instead of the generics used by the shops.

Any thoughts? Also, any recommendations on reputable repair shops located on the west side of Cleveland (Lorain/Cuyahoga county line) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!