M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Help !!!!!! Broken pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 06:30 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 ML430
Help !!!!!! Broken pulley

Have a '99 ML430 W/ 70K . The pulley broke (not belt,not that lucky) that controls the power steering, h20 pump & alt. while traveling this weekend. Had it towed to the MB dealer fot repair. Has anyone had this happen to them and if so what is the expected cost to repair the pulley?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-08-2002, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
I have never heard of that failure and can't really help but to say I'm sorry this happened to you. How did it break? Did the flange just break off? It may be a "hidden warranty" replaceable item That is, there is no way you could've caused this kind of problem, so you're not to blame. The vehicle is not old enough, nor is there that much mileage on it to justify part fatigue. In addition, it's a rear, very very rear problem. Hence, the part must've been defective to begin with. That's a very good argument for MB to replacement w/o chrging you or, at least, charging you only a portion of the repair.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:23 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 ML430
Thanks for the concerns...I guess the center bolt (I think came loose) causing the pulley to work free, therefore diengagging all the dependent components. The tech at the Dealership said they see about 1 a mo. .... would try to get MB to pay for parts. Also stated could run as high as $1,500. to repair,depending on internal damage. However there did not appear to be any from "eye balling" it. I say this just from viewing the pulley. Who knows what they 'll "say " they found.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2002, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
99 ML 430
Yes, it happen to us coming up from LA..

We had our pulley fall on us coming from LA one weekend and had to stay another night for the dealer to fix it the next day. It was not that bad, when it happen, the steering gave out which you probably noticed. As soon as that happen we pulled over.
Check the engine and bang! The pulley went. It only cost us $200.00 if they charge you more they might be over charging you.

It only the pulley, which is a round plastic piece that rotates the belt.

Good luck!

Andaya
Old 09-08-2002, 09:28 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 ML430
Thanks, that's conforting to know($200.00). Yeah it was quite scary cruising at 80mph in 5 lanes of traffic and then notice you have no power steering or brakes... it did heat up as well. should be no internal damage though,RIGHT?

Thanks
David
Old 09-08-2002, 09:41 PM

99 ML 430
Talking No internal damage

When it happened to us, we went to the next exit, which I assume you did to. If you when any further, you would of had buy a new engine.

You should be ok if your still under warranty, if not $200 is nothing.

It's better then your tires blowing out at 85 mph now that's scary! Never happened to me, but trying to make you at ease. :p

Andaya
Old 09-08-2002, 09:46 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 ML430
$200.00 Does put me at ease ...THANKS. Did take the first exit once realized the problem....probably 5 mi. at most.

Thanks
David
Old 09-08-2002, 09:51 PM

99 ML 430
Exclamation 5 miles? Oh sh*t

You serious? Once you noticed, you kept going? 5 miles is alot!
We pulled over the next exit which was probably 3/4 mile.
You should still be ok, just make sure they check everything else.

andaya
Old 09-08-2002, 09:55 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 ML430
Well maybe not 5 mi. , it happened so fast and I was tring to negotiate the traffic and diagnose the problem at the same time. Now you have me worried again!
Old 09-08-2002, 11:13 PM

99 ML 430
Sorry dude, didn't mean to worry you

but without that belt going round and round something internal will happen. The more you run the engine with out those belts the more risk of internal damage.

Let's say you were jogging and one of your heart valves stop opening and closing? things will clog up and something goes, and you have a major internal problem. And if you keeping running, oh boy...

Pretty good metaphor? hee hee
you'll be ok!
Let me know what they find.

Andaya
Old 09-09-2002, 07:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
99 ML 320, 97 Porsche 993 C2S, 92 300E
The problem with the pulley coming apart is a very well know problem. My dealer replaced mine as a precaution when it was in for routine service. Since it was out of warrenty I had to pay for the labor of $75. and the part was proviced for free. The part they replace it with has a different part number than the one that is clearly defective.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:56 AM

ML
Well DDuke, based on the responses so far, I ammend part of my earlier statement that this may be an isolated occurence. You now have even more firepower to have this fixed without any charge to you. It sounds like it's been a kown problem for a while. I'd argue the point strongly, if I were in your shoes. $200 is nothing, however, if it's a known problem, you shouldn't be blamed for it.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:23 AM
Almost a Member!

'99 ML430
The dealer did state they see about 1 a mo. , so I'm inclined to believe it is a part defect & should be covered as well. We'll see.
But Now I do have some ammo to state my case . .....Thanks
Old 09-09-2002, 04:09 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 ML430
Just got a call from dealer....told me the HARMONIC BALANCER had broken,causing the belt to slide off ,no damage,only a slightly bent fan blade. Sadly MB will not cover the defective part that caused the breakage. Quoted $450.00 parts,labor & towing. I guess I should feel lucky.

Thanks to all
David
Old 09-11-2002, 03:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Is your car still under warranty? This is an all to common problem.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:20 AM
Almost a Member!

'99 ML430
No , it just turned 70k,however; I still think MB should atleast pay for the part since it is becomming a very common problem as I research it. Do you know hoe I should go about it? i.e. contacting MB TO LODGE COMPLAINT.
Thanks
David
Old 09-11-2002, 10:01 AM

Lightbulb

Just ask your service representative to repair it as a goodwill repair. They do it all the time for lots of problems. You may have to pay for the part, I did.

Baker Mercedes has done it on a number or MLs in Charleston. Mine was replaced as a precaution because of the known problem and the fact that it was going to eventually break. If the service representative knows you as a long time Mercedes owner it will help, I've driven Mercedes cars only for 19 years so that certainly did not hurt my chances of getting a goodwill repair.

Notwithstanding my situation I know of other people who are not long time owners of Mercedes that had the repair done on a goodwill basis too.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:49 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 ML430
Ron
When I had the car towed in on Sat. I spoke w/ a service advisor who said he would check w/ MB to see if they would pay for the parts since this is a frequent problem. But on Monday a different Service advisor called to give me an up-date on what they had found...he never mentioned talking w/ MB about goodwill warranty. Guess I should stay on it. Called MB today to see which direction to take ...they said they frequently extend goodwill warranties at the discretion of the DEALER who is supposed to contact the AREA REP. who in turn authorizes the warranty. So guess I need to tell the dealer to call the Area rep to file the "claim".

By the way love CHARLESTON.

David
Old 09-11-2002, 11:48 PM

ML
Keep at it. There's no way you should be blamed for this. Mb should pay for it. Keep at it.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:29 AM

David,

I've had goodwill repairs done without my dealer getting any kind of pre-authorization and I know of other who have too. Maybe it depends on the dealer or the cost of the part being replaced. With the crank pulley the dealer probably charges a customer twice what they pay, so the dealer at worst is out maybe 40 or 50 dollars. They often make the customer pay for the labor so why would they want to argue.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:56 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 ML430
Purchaced an extended warranty today...covers most everthing & roadside assistance (48 mo. 48k) Now I have piece of mindfor my wife. But I'm still on the Dealer about my pulley. Heard MB was going to extend the warranties on the motors to 150k, due to not telling customers to use synthetic oil. Have you heard this as well?

Thanks
David
Old 09-21-2002, 10:56 PM

crank pulley

the crank shaft pulley falls apart frequently. the pulley is actually two pieces, and they are held together by a rubber harmonic damper. the rubber damper cracks and the pulley fails. sometimes it will slip, causing none of the accessories to work, and sometimes the pulley will literally fly apart. if it was just slipping, you should just need a new pulley (approx $100) a new belt ($35) and its a good idea to get a front crank seal while you're in there. labor would probably be around 2.5-3.5 hours, depending. if the pulley flies apart and the engine is making high rpm's, it could damage the fan blade, the water pump, even the oil pan. sometimes, the dealer will be able to warranty this even though the vehicle is out of warranty.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:12 PM

ML
Originally posted by dduke
Purchaced an extended warranty today...covers most everthing & roadside assistance (48 mo. 48k) Now I have piece of mindfor my wife. But I'm still on the Dealer about my pulley. Heard MB was going to extend the warranties on the motors to 150k, due to not telling customers to use synthetic oil. Have you heard this as well?

Thanks
David
Too bad these people (MBUSA) can't just see that this IS NOT A CUSTOMER PROBLEM and just fix the thing under warranty. Drive pulleys don't just fall apart!!! I fail to see what the complication is. It's clearly a bad design and it really irks me the way MBUSA is ahndling this and the others who have reported similar problems. As far as the 150K warranty is concerned, it is true (there was a newspaper article about it a while back, can't get the link but will keep on trying). MB is adding another 100K mile to the existing 50K warranty to those affected.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:00 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 ML430
The more I research this pulley problem the more irked I become...MBUSA is aware of it and should cover it ,however ; I have not had any luck thus far.If that's the only problem I have out of the ordinary I will be happy.

I too have seen the link,it was posted at www.mcall.com. I guess it just covers the engine,unlike the original 50k bumpr to bumper.

Hell , SUZUKI or KIA offers 100k. Mercedes Benz must not have
confidence in the quality of thier workmanship.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:19 PM

1993 MERCEDES BENZ 300TE
COST IS DEPENDENT ON DAMAGE TO OIL PAN AND FRONT TIMING CHAIN COVER ,,,POSSIBLY UP TO 2000.00.
I WOULD SUGGEST CONTACTING MERCEDES BENZ THEY MAY HELP ,,,EVEN THOUGH OUT BY MILIAGE.WHATS THE WORST THE COULD SAY,,,,NO??
YOU MIGHT ATLEAST GET PARTS UNDER WARRENTY ,,,AND HAVE TO PAY LABOR