M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML320 is a LEMON

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down ML320 is a LEMON

See the following website for details: http://www.24x7.com.au/ml320/

comments welcome,

Cheers,

Pawel
Old 09-09-2002, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
No it's not. Yes, there have been unusual problems with these trucks, especially the pre MY 01. Even the '02's have had some problems. Most of the problems pointed out at that site are known and have been fixed for the MY '02 vehicles. The trucks are fundermentally sound and every so often, you can still have some with more problems than the owner can stand. The unfortunate thing is that most of the people who have complained have also said that MB hasn't been customer friendly to them. I can't say much about that and I hope MB investigates. My 1.2yrs experience with MB (E, ML) has been positive. My <a href="http://www.salisbury.mercedescenter.com/mbcenter/b/index.jhtml">dealer</a> has been very good to me. Everytime I take either vehicle in for anything, I get excellent treatment and they always give me a loaner car, MB car most times. And that's the other half of the MB story - good dealers make a huge difference.

Last edited by Darkmann; 09-09-2002 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:26 AM

I have to agree with the fact that MB does not treat the customer right.

I had C clas, CLK class, E class and M. Lots of problems with M, a lemon with E. If the dealer was OK, the MB regional rep was a total a-hole.

Even thogh I like MB cars I am not buying them again until I know that they change theirs customer service ways.

Just my 2c.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:43 PM

Angry Darkmann, I disagree

Darkmann,

I appreciate your opinion. However, you might have been lucky and had good treatment from your dealer, but this doesn't explaing the bulk of problems I am having. Certainly, it does not explain clear and evident DESIGN FAULTS that I have investigated and documented. Please note that those design faults are relevant to the vehicle you have and the fact that you are pleased with your dealer does not make the ML320 a good car. I have provided more than enough (well supported) evidence with pictures, reports and detailed description to conclude that the ML320 IS A LEMON!

http://www.24x7.com.au/ml320/

I don't disagree with you as to the good intentions of your dealer - this is irrelevant in this case.

Kind Regards,

Pawel
Old 09-10-2002, 11:19 PM

ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
So you think yours is a lemon ....

in which case mine is an even bigger lemon - but as you say MB USA don't give a hoot ! Check out my list of problems on
www.mercedes-lemon.com
My ML430 '00 has had over 23 warranty claims - granted some of them trivial, but none the less over 10 major electrical failures have occured which have left us stranded on more than one occasion and at other times seriously inconvenienced.
MB USA response ? "keep taking it in for repair, that's what warranties are for"
Well MB USA if you read this, like many others before me, you've lost a customer as I'll be voting with my wallet.
Sad thing is the ML is potentially a great vehicle - just sometimes badly let down by the dealer and MB USA.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:44 AM

Thumbs down

I am in Australia, so it is not only MB USA problem. I couldn't agree more, the car looks and drives OK (when it does). We had also about 20 or more visits to the service and the gear box failure made the car unusable too. What is disappointing is that MB does not recognise cases like yours and mine and wouldn't come to some sort of solution (replacement, refund, etc...).
As it stands there is no way I will be buying and MB in the future and some of my friends have changed their minds too. Hopefully my (and your) website will score highly in search engines so that more people could be warned. So ultimately it is lose-lose situation.

Cheers,

Pawel

www.24x7.com.au/ML320
Old 09-11-2002, 11:44 PM

ML
Re: Darkmann, I disagree

Originally posted by Pawel
Darkmann,

I appreciate your opinion. However, you might have been lucky and had good treatment from your dealer, but this doesn't explaing the bulk of problems I am having. Certainly, it does not explain clear and evident DESIGN FAULTS that I have investigated and documented. Please note that those design faults are relevant to the vehicle you have and the fact that you are pleased with your dealer does not make the ML320 a good car. I have provided more than enough (well supported) evidence with pictures, reports and detailed description to conclude that the ML320 IS A LEMON!

http://www.24x7.com.au/ml320/

I don't disagree with you as to the good intentions of your dealer - this is irrelevant in this case.

Are you eligible for the $2000 Mb rebate? I feel bad that you've had so many problems with the truck. I hope that mine behaves well. I read that the truck had many many problems before I made my purchase, but it seems like the '02's are better - just different kinds of problems.

Kind Regards,

Pawel
Old 09-11-2002, 11:55 PM

Angry

Are you eligible for the $2000 Mb rebate?
A rebate? You must be kidding. They asked me to spend another AUD $3000 to try to prevent/reduce the problems and this made things even worse. This is Australia, mate!

Cheers,

Pawel
www.24x7.com.au/ml320
Old 09-12-2002, 02:49 PM

Maybe we should do some kind of a petiton to send to MB in Germany and express the way we have been treated.
If enough people will sign it it might have some impact because they got to be somewhat afraid of negative publicity.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:34 PM

ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Probably wouldn't make much if any difference....

because MB have already demonstrated their indifference to many long term suffering ML owners.
Also the quality (or lack thereof) has also been well documented in the motoring press and forums like this - a little bit more negative press will likely make no difference.

Further, in the short term at least, MB will continue to sell even more trucks / cars etc and continue to make profits because of the sheer volume of lower priced C classes and variants thereof which they're shipping.
Check out some of the other MB forums - you'll soon discover that the ML is not the only MB product which appears to have more than its fair share of troubles.
Like I said above, vote with your wallet - because eventually that's the only thing that'll count.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:49 PM

Angry

Like I said above, vote with your wallet - because eventually that's the only thing that'll count.
I couldn't agree more. This is the first and last Mercedes-Benz I owned. I had a couuple of BMWs - no major troubles. Discussions and websites like this are also important. I know of one person already changed his mind (wanted to buy E class), but based on my experiences he crossed Merc off his list (it was on the top).

Kind Regards,

Pawel
www.24x7.com.au/ML320
Old 09-14-2002, 07:56 AM

Talking

A few days ago I got a letter from the dealer reminding me that my 3-year warranty will be up shortly and offering a choice of new vehicles. I couldn't help myself answering appropriately. My reply is follows for everyonce's entertainment.

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your letter. Indeed, it is very scary thought that the warranty on my vehicle will soon expire considering the whole range of problems we are having with this lemon. (please see URL=http://www.24x7.com.au/ML320]www.24x7.com.au/ML320[/URL] for details)

How do you propose to assist us? It may be of interest.

BTW, our website URL=http://www.24x7.com.au/ML320]www.24x7.com.au/ML320[/URL] is up for sale. It is brand new, with warranty and does not break down as often as the car that you sold us less than three years ago. Is fast, safe and contains all the latest technologies you would expect from a modern website including complimentary link to your website. Sounds exciting, huh? I may even throw in our ML-320 for free if you decide to buy it at the right price. Please do not hesitate to call me at....

Kind Regards,

Pawel Achtel
owner of Mercedes-Benz ML-320
Old 09-14-2002, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In a way MB has lost its reputation with this car. SUCH an awesome company, but when soooo many bad reliabllity reports come up, it screws everything up.

But i personally like the M-class

Cool SUV

-Musfather
Old 09-15-2002, 08:52 PM

ML
Again and again, I'll defend MB and the M class. They were pretty bad at the beginning and I'm disappointed that after 5yrs, MB has not been able to resolve the Ml problems. Some blame it on the US workforce - crapola. It's all MB. In MY '02. MB has put out a SUV that they should have put out in MY '98. It's a solid vehicle. It does has some proiblems, but, on the other hand, it still is a bargain. I looked at the Lexus, Pathfinder, Qx4, X5 and the MDX, and settled on the ML320, despite all the "bad" reviews I read about the ML. Today, I can't honestly say that I'm satisfied with ML as I was with the Pathfinder that I traded in, but I can say that at the time I purchased the Ml, none of the others could provide me what I wanted in a SUV as MB did, not even close - safety, utility, etc.
Old 09-24-2002, 01:03 PM

2016 S550 Coupe 4matic - Matt Grey/Designo Bengal Red
Re: $2000 rebate

Darkmann,

What is the $2000 rebate you spoke of? I have a '99 ML320 and it also is plaqued with problems.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:47 PM

ML
Re: Re: $2000 rebate

Originally posted by HoleinOne
Darkmann,

What is the $2000 rebate you spoke of? I have a '99 ML320 and it also is plaqued with problems.
I know MB is giving rebates to certain ML customers towards the purchase of another MB. This is to pacify them due to all the problems they earlier models had developed. I don't know what years are affected but you may want to call MBUSA and inquire. I know of some folks who have actually goten their checks. Call and post any info you find. Meanwhile I'll keep on searching for more accurate info.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:20 AM

ML
Re: Re: $2000 rebate

Originally posted by HoleinOne
Darkmann,

I just got some info from real owners: The rebate amount is $1000 not $2000 as I posted. They tell me that if you're the original owner of a 98-99 ML, you would have gotten the check in the mail by now. That's all I know.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:47 PM

2016 S550 Coupe 4matic - Matt Grey/Designo Bengal Red
$1000 Rebate

I finally go to speak with a customer service agent at MBUSA after being transferred around a number of times. It basically confirmed what has been posted on this thread. I was told that the rebates was mailed out at the end if August and I should call back if I do not receive it by mid-October. The rebate is only for '98 and '99 original owners and it is a credit for use toward the purchase of another new MB. When asked about the reason for this rebate, the agent replied:"it is just a nice good faith campaign because we like to promote customer loyalty".

Last edited by HoleinOne; 09-25-2002 at 01:49 PM.