M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Any experience repairing COMAND fiber optic transmit light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 11:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Any experience repairing COMAND fiber optic transmit light?

One day last week my dad's '01 ML 430 stopped recognizing the CD changer. Thinking it may be a programming error or a fiber loop problem, we disconnected the negative lead (as recommended here), then checked the light path on all the fiber cables; everything checked out, and things still weren't working. Finally we swapped COMAND units with a friend of ours' who had an '01 ML as well. His unit worked in our car (recognized the changer, played discs), ours didn't work in his. Thus I think the COMAND unit's LED or bulb that it uses to send out light pulses has burned out. Does anyone have any experience repairing this part of the COMAND unit? We're looking into getting another, but, seeing as, if it's a simple bulb, I can replace it, and even if it is an LED, I can probably fix that too. However, if anyone has any experience in this procedure, I'd appreciate any pertinent information you may have.

TIA.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Did you check the voltage output on the CD changer power lines ?

IT probably will not emit a light until it is connected to a closed optical ring.

What diagnostic functions did you perform ?
Old 11-11-2006, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
There is another possibility we were considering, besides the fact that the lights might be out. Is it possible that the Stardiagnose setup that told the MCS to use a fiber optic CD changer reset itself? I ask because we tried swapping the unit with my mom's '00 MCS, which does have a fiber connector, but a wired CD changer (as in the changer is a standard copper connection; it's not connected to the fiber optics network). When we swapped them her unit didn't find the fiber optic cd changer in '01. Is there a quick way to check the settings on the MCS, or do we have to Stardiagnose it?