M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

New ML intro and question - Excessive Road Noise in 1999 ML430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New ML intro and question - Excessive Road Noise in 1999 ML430

Hello all - I am new to this forum and new to MB. I recently purchased a 1999 ML 430 with 150k miles as a "temp" but kinda fell in love with the car and decided to keep it. Since buying it, I have done all the required maintainance, K&N air, new Goodyear Silent tires, sprung for an additional $6,000 and had it completely stripped and repainted, added an AVIC-Z1 navigation system to it, Sirius, and new headlights, tail lights, emblems, etc. It didn't need all that, I just thought it would be nice to make the thing look "new" again. The ML runs great, and I (knock on wood) think it will keep driving for a long time. The previous owner had the transmission replaced right before I bought it, so that has made me feel good about it mechanically. It also has an extended powertrain warranty til about 210k miles.

Anyhow, my question is this - It has the Skyview top which I have read lots about. It works, but I try not to use it so it doesn't break There seems to be an excessive amount of road/wind noise coming from either the right rear passenger door or the skyview top. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this (if its even a problem). I was wondering if you guys had any advice, or experiance with this. Thanks
Old 12-02-2006, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
If its the door thats an easy fix just replace the rubber molding around the door frame. Skyview is another issue, very difficult if not impossible to fix. You are being smart by using the top very little but I would go a step further and not use it at all or even disable the open/close circut. Skyview ML's are sold for lots less than non Skyviews for the reason that they will break. Repairs are very expensive and could cost a large percentage of the value of your car. Dealers both MB and independents usually will not even inventory a Skyview. Most of the unsold ML's at dealer wholesale auctions are Skyviews. Even closed the Skyviews are noisy and if you try to align them or re seal them you can easilly render the top inoperative, usually open which in effect makes your ML unusable.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:17 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
95K & 6 years on my 2000 skyview ML...and no problems..

I use it all the time, probably open/close it at least once every alternate day....touch wood, no problems yet....I have however heard of horror stories on this forum about the skyview though....

Old 12-11-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a known "concern" with early ML's. They should have fix that issue with the 2000 model's. I think they skip or miss my car because I can still hear the wind noise during highway speed. I just learn to live with it..