M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Clutch problems on Manual 270CDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch problems on Manual 270CDI

I have a ML 270CDi, with a Manual Transmission. The clutch has worn and I've had to replace it. I am having a lot of problems. Each new clutch I put in begings to slip within the first month of installation. I'm going on to my 4th clutch now. My mechanic, who is very competent and Mercedes trained, has anyone replaced the clutch on an ML. Have you had any problems?

The history of my clutch replacement is:
After 75k miles clutch started slipping
Mechanic replaced it and the master cylinder (and milled the fly wheel to make it planar - it had warped a little). The clutch pedal had no play and it was heavy to press.
After about a month / 1k miles, I noticed it slipping again, and my mechanic replaced it again. The clutch has worn down.
After another 1 k miles it started to slip again. There is no fluid in the clutch, the slippage appears to be due to excessive clutch wear.

The slip seems to happen after things warm up, e.g. when on long journies
Old 01-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML270
Originally Posted by Tadhg
I have a ML 270CDi, with a Manual Transmission. The clutch has worn and I've had to replace it. I am having a lot of problems. Each new clutch I put in begings to slip within the first month of installation. I'm going on to my 4th clutch now. My mechanic, who is very competent and Mercedes trained, has anyone replaced the clutch on an ML. Have you had any problems?

The history of my clutch replacement is:
After 75k miles clutch started slipping
Mechanic replaced it and the master cylinder (and milled the fly wheel to make it planar - it had warped a little). The clutch pedal had no play and it was heavy to press.
After about a month / 1k miles, I noticed it slipping again, and my mechanic replaced it again. The clutch has worn down.
After another 1 k miles it started to slip again. There is no fluid in the clutch, the slippage appears to be due to excessive clutch wear.

The slip seems to happen after things warm up, e.g. when on long journies
It may seem a bit obvious but could there be insufficient play in the clutch cable?
There are not many ML's with manual gearboxes around so I would not expect too many experienced replies to this post (yes, I know you only need one experienced reply and I'm sorry this is not it).
Old 01-20-2007, 05:32 PM

I don't think there is a 'cable' as such, I think it is all hydraulics. I have not been able to have any free play in the clutch (which surprises me, as my other car has some 'play' before you feel the pressure of the actual clutch. I think the matter is complicated by the 'self adjusting' nature of the clutch mechanism.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:50 PM

Master cylinder must match slave cylinder

Hi all,

Problem solved. When the new clutch went it, I had to change the slave cylinder with it. But Mercedes have changed the size of the slave cylinder. As the size has changed you have to change the master cylinder also. The master and slave have to be matched or else when you press the clutch pedal the amount of movement in the master cylinder, will not result in the correspondingly correct movement in the slave cylinder. Solution is change the Master Cylinder also.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
Good to hear it's finally solved.