M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML430 Driver's window not going up!! Winter in MN!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00 ML430
Question ML430 Driver's window not going up!! Winter in MN!

I have gone through the posts to see if anyone has experienced the same problem as I. My window goes down without a problem. Going up is almost impossible now, when it does happen it's choppy. I haven't been driving for the past week and can't continue on like this.

The one other person who posted a similar problem wasn't given any answers yet. My window seems to come up off and on...now mostly off.

I am looking for some reason why this is happening, it seems to me to be a faulty switch.

Doesn anyone know if it is really necessary to bring the car into the dealership for an $800 repair that may not be all they crack it up to be?

Thanks in advance for any input!!
Old 01-23-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Originally Posted by careful driver
I have gone through the posts to see if anyone has experienced the same problem as I. My window goes down without a problem. Going up is almost impossible now, when it does happen it's choppy. I haven't been driving for the past week and can't continue on like this.

The one other person who posted a similar problem wasn't given any answers yet. My window seems to come up off and on...now mostly off.

I am looking for some reason why this is happening, it seems to me to be a faulty switch.

Doesn anyone know if it is really necessary to bring the car into the dealership for an $800 repair that may not be all they crack it up to be?

Thanks in advance for any input!!

If your handy this might help http://www.grill.org/rodney/mclass/mlswitch/index.html
Old 01-23-2007, 04:19 PM

2000 ml320
I just had the same problem in my 2000 ml320 window went down and never back up. TOok it to the dealer and they said it was the switch. $150 for the switch and $200 in labar. $350-$400 just for a plastic peice with and adapter on the back.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:59 PM

00 ML430
in for an inch out for a mile!

So, I took the young "service" guy's advice for closing the window so I could drive the 20 minutes to the dealership without freezing. I handily proceeded to break the switch, as I told him would happen. Thank you for the link to the DIY...if only this guy would have known that no amount of jiggling (left or right) forcefully would fix it. I bundled up and heated up the seat.

Now I know that I have a leak in the transmission, sparks plugs ALL need to be replaced, the rear spring is broken on one side (so both will need to be replaced) and they want to replace and align all of my tires.

Estimate of $4100 (give or take) when I had gone in for a maybe $300 job.

Nice going.

The tires I'm getting at Costco, even though they are Michelin and the dealership recommends General or Continental....are they onto something here? I got the numbers for the tires from MB dealer and it's the same on the Michelin Tires at Costco.com. Looks the same to me.

Here's the breakdown of what the bill looks like in quote form:

Light switch $249
Spark Plugs $664
Rear Springs $1438
Trans. Fluid $511 Incl. changing all fluids in the car
Tires $800 - $1100 or so for the better ones....?

Their 2cents about the tires was to have them aligned, which I'm not sure Costco does. Their price was around $150.

Do these numbers sound about right?

Thanks for your replies!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Thumbs up

So, I took the young "service" guy's advice for closing the window so I could drive the 20 minutes to the dealership without freezing. I handily proceeded to break the switch, as I told him would happen. Thank you for the link to the DIY...if only this guy would have known that no amount of jiggling (left or right) forcefully would fix it. I bundled up and heated up the seat.

Now I know that I have a leak in the transmission, sparks plugs ALL need to be replaced, the rear spring is broken on one side (so both will need to be replaced) and they want to replace and align all of my tires.

Nice going.

The tires I'm getting at Costco, even though they are Michelin and the dealership recommends General or Continental....are they onto something here? I got the numbers for the tires from MB dealer and it's the same on the Michelin Tires at Costco.com. Looks the same to me.

Light switch $249
Spark Plugs $664
Rear Springs $1438

Their 2cents about the tires was to have them aligned, which I'm not sure Costco does. Their price was around $150.

Ouch! I would have the transfer case, and the front and rear differentials done along with the Trans. Fluid change. I would get the tires at Costco and no they won't be able to align it. Not sure you will really need the alignment. Might want to have it checked after the springs and new tires are done. I've had the rear shocks and new tires replaced without an alignment and have had no problems. Yes, the dealer wants to do the tires because thats more $$$$ for them. I replaced my OEM tires with the Michelin Cross Terrains, great tire, not from the dealer. Prices sound about right for a Mercedes dealer. Probably have a one year warranty on the work also. Good luck. My 2 cents.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML430

Nice going.

Light switch $249
Spark Plugs $664
Rear Springs $1438

The rear springs and Trans fluid I'm not sure about...mainly because Transfluid is sealed and good for life...but there's a leak in yours...

You can get continental tires for $500 at tirerack.com...I got my new set there last sept which were the same ones I had on before...contact 4X4

I got my spark plugs are mercedesbenzpartsdirect.com for under $200...I think it was $150-$160ish....installed self...not hard just time and patience.

IF you buy your tires on tire rack...take them to some independent tire companies to put them on...IE, I got my done around the way and all they charged was $50 to put them on, and balance.

Last edited by Benz_nut; 01-23-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:35 PM

Light switch $249
Spark Plugs $664
Rear Springs $1438

Hmmmm.......if he says the trans. is leaking but he's only going to replace the trans. (and other) FLUIDS for $511 - is that quote include fixing the leak on the trans?

How bad is the trans. leaking?

Do a search on trans. leaks. Some forum members had problems with the trans. switch (?, on the trans. housing) leaking trans. fluid.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:08 PM

Rear spring breaking I never heard of rear springs coming apart.