M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

2000 ML Instrument Cluster Gremlins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML Instrument Cluster Gremlins

Hey everyone.

A few days ago I replaced the left brake light bulb in our ML320. Since then none of the guages have worked (tach, speedo, temp, fuel) and none of the warning lights come up when I first turn the key other than the SRS one. The backlighting is working and the digital readouts for outside temp, odometer and clock are still working. Everything else seems to work except the doors don't automatically lock when I start driving or unlock when I open the driver's door any more.

I checked the fuses in both panels that would seem to me to have anything to do with the dash or instrument cluster, and they're all good. Removing any one of them causes other things to go out, so I don't think it's a fuse issue.

It seems a bit odd that removing and reinstalling the tail light assembly would cause this. I assume that I accidentally jiggled some connection loose or something, but it's not as though I had my feet up on the bumper pulling on the wiring harness. It's a long way from the dash and (I assume) any of the relevant connectors. Can anyone tell me from past experience where some of the harness junctions and connections are located that might have been affected, or where else I might start looking?

Thanks in advance. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:54 PM

Blubs are tricky

I have heard of issues if you don't use the right type of bulb.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:05 PM

That's what the dealer told me. I ended up taking it in. They replaced the AAM and claimed that I must have caused it to fail when I changed the brake light bulb.