M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Just found mystery rattle in rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 04:52 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
Just found mystery rattle in rear

I just fixed a rattle located in what appear to be in the rear of the ML. Source of the rattle is actually in the headliner. Yes the Headliner! Above the rear passenger headrest. If you push up against the headliner you may hear some loose tapping sound.

I dropped the headliner slightly from the rear passenger door area. You have to remove the coat hook, handle and this 2 door cover from rear passenger area and the cargo area. also pop out the B and C pillar cover and door seal from rear passenger area.

Upon dropping the headliner slightly, I found a piece of Plastic cross-member that is totally liberated from the headliner. So it is just sitting loose between the headliner and roof panel causing a lot of tapping rattle. Since it is just sitting loose in there and it is plastic I just remove it. I found all the glue in the cross-member to be hard and the cross-member just broke loose from the headliner. I believe the cross-member would help supported the headliner from bowing down. Well since it broke itself away. it is useless now. No way to glue it back on without dropping the entire headliner at lease from One side.

Wow what a difference without that annoying tapping rattle. It was driving me nuts.

Check on it if you have rattle in the rear that you cant find.

Last edited by fkong777; 02-12-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steel Grey 2012 ML350 is wife's
Thanks for the heads up.

-Bret
Old 02-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML270
Originally Posted by fkong777
I just fixed a rattle located in what appear to be in the rear of the ML. Source of the rattle is actually in the headliner. Yes the Headliner! Above the rear passenger headrest. If you push up against the headliner you may hear some loose tapping sound.

I dropped the headliner slightly from the rear passenger door area. You have to remove the coat hook, handle and this 2 door cover from rear passenger area and the cargo area. also pop out the B and C pillar cover and door seal from rear passenger area.

Upon dropping the headliner slightly, I found a piece of Plastic cross-member that is totally liberated from the headliner. So it is just sitting loose between the headliner and roof panel causing a lot of tapping rattle. Since it is just sitting loose in there and it is plastic I just remove it. I found all the glue in the cross-member to be hard and the cross-member just broke loose from the headliner. I believe the cross-member would help supported the headliner from bowing down. Well since it broke itself away. it is useless now. No way to glue it back on without dropping the entire headliner at lease from One side.

Wow what a difference without that annoying tapping rattle. It was driving me nuts.

Check on it if you have rattle in the rear that you cant find.
This was a timely post, it encouraged me to look at my headliner rattle, I found that the factory had been too parsimonious with the velcro (less than a square inch of it) so I put more on (above the rear seat backs) and hopefully it's better now.

Thanks.