M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Sunroof drain tube loose - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof drain tube loose - HELP!!

Hi Guys,

I have a similar problem to that listed in previous threads - pour water in sunroof drain and it comes straight into passenger footwell (LHD).

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=sunroof+drain

My question is how the heck do you reconnect the elbow to the tube without taking the dashboard out?

I have removed glovebox and blower but tubing is behind blower shroud and short of getting a smart three year old, I am lost as to how to push tube into elbow.

I had windscreen replaced last year. Why would the installer have to go near these drains if they are in A-pillar?

All help gratefully received.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:40 PM

2000 ML430
Hi,

I have read various posts on this subject matter and I have the exact same problem you have described. I removed the A-pillar, the glove box and the blower motor and can not access the drain tube.

I have the drain elbow removed but, I can't seem to get my hand into the passenger well to reconnect the elbow and the drain tube. How were you able to resolve this problem? Did you have to remove the entire dashboard to put the tube back in?

I have searched the forum and numerous people have had the same problem but, there is no clear description of how to resolve the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2009, 11:56 PM

Wink Drain tube repair fo M320 ect..

I have had this problem on my 2000 ML 320.

I have used the following with great success.

Purchase some heatshrink. about 1" (25mm)diamameter.
Heashrink is used by Elcetricains to insulate conections.
It shrinks with heat and insulates electrical conections.

First cut a piece about 3" long ( about 75mm)

Using a hairdryer shrink one end.

So you have what looks like a long funnel.
ie 1" one end and about 1/4" the other.

Slip the large end over the down tube, from the roof,
and slip the small end inside the rubber groumet that goes through
the side kick pannel( you can remove these rubber grometes and clean them and push them back in). You may need to cut the lenght to suit.

Now use the hairdryer again to shrink the top onto the down pipe.

He presto water tight seal and no leaks this cost me $6.00AUD for the lenght of heat shrink and about 1 hour.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:36 PM

2000 ML 430
Question Sunroof Drain

Have we resolved this issue yet? I, like so many others, have a sunroof drain issue (front passenger floor is all wet). On other vehicles it is easy to locate the drain nipple exit, but I can't seem to find it on my 2000 ML. I have found 4 other drain holes (1 on each side just behind the front wheels on the lower body skirt, and 1 on each side in front of the rear wheels on the lower body skirt). But these do not seem to be the sunroof drains as when I squirt water in the drain hole in the front corners of the sunroof the water seems to exit behind the wheel well (and behind the plastic molding). Do I have to remove the molding to find the appropriate drain exit? Can someone help. Pictures would be great.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:56 AM

ML430 You must remove the black plastic cover that is up under where your feet are on each foot well.
One under the steering wheel and the other up under where the glove box is.
You need to undo 2 screws and 2 pastic nuts near where your feet would sit.

Then on each side look up and to the outside with a tourch you will see a black plastic down pipe that goes into a rubber gromett that bends and clips into the metal of the side wall.
These rubber gromets can be removed and cleaned as they do get blocked with dirt.You may need to use a screwdriver to force the gromet back in.
What seems to happen is the down pipe from the sunroof shrinks over time and pulls out of the rubber gromett. This allows water to stream down next too or inside the palstic kick pannel.

See my post above on how to permanently fix this.
db
Old 09-03-2010, 06:30 PM

ML430 2001
Guys (and girls),

Any update on this? I have the same problem, which appears to be quite common but access to the loose pipes is almost impossible.

I've removed the cover underneath the glove box and even the blower motor but no joy. Still can't get my hand in and there's nothing else I can see that would be easy to remove.

Any help would be great especially with the wet season coming up.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2013, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ml320
Anyone found access to that elbow yet?

Originally Posted by mark1306
Hi Guys,

I have a similar problem to that listed in previous threads - pour water in sunroof drain and it comes straight into passenger footwell (LHD).

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=sunroof+drain

My question is how the heck do you reconnect the elbow to the tube without taking the dashboard out?

I have removed glovebox and blower but tubing is behind blower shroud and short of getting a smart three year old, I am lost as to how to push tube into elbow.

I had windscreen replaced last year. Why would the installer have to go near these drains if they are in A-pillar?

All help gratefully received.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ml320
Found a Solution!

Here's How I did it:

1. Remove bottom of dashboard.

2. Remove A-Pillar cover and headliner as per instructions to fix the other end of the hose.

3. Remove wheel well cover. 6 bolts, which are plastic so be careful not to strip. Takes a little finesse to get the thing out, and be careful, the edge of the fender is sharp!

4. Pull out the elbow piece. Mine did not have a hose attached on the exterior. It was easier for me to pull out from the inside, YMMV.

5. Detach the drain hose from the sunroof end. Mine was glued to a piece of styrofoam, which came out from the headliner.

6. Feed the hose through the hole into the wheel well. This takes some finesse. I had to push excess hose down through, make a U and push it through from the bottom.

7. Attach the elbow to the hose. I wish I had used rubber cement to prevent future detachment, but at the time I did not have confidence that this method would work.

8. Push the hose and elbow back through. Helps to have an assistant to pull the hose (gently!) while you push from the wheel well side.

9. Caveat: I was not able to get the gromet securely in (but it's not going anywhere), so I used some silicone to seal it.

10. No more fouled relays!
The following users liked this post:
omar804 (01-25-2020)
Old 05-10-2014, 01:40 PM

ML320
When you have fouled relays, does it cause your headlights not to work properly. I have the drain problem, and reattached the hose, draining properly now, still no headlights? Any ideas would be gretaly appreciated. Thanks!