M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Keyless remote question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2007 | 07:55 PM

Keyless remote question

Hi All,
Newbie to the board and to the world of the Mercedes Benz.

The wife and I just purchased a 2001 ML 320 !!! Man it rides sweet Just got it home an hour ago.

One question (sure I'll have many more) When They had it at the dealer (not Mercedes) the one remote was working, the other did not, ( well the locks worked and the lights flashed) But when I got it home and tried to lock the car it wasn't working. It came with two remotes. Figured the batteries were dead or weak, so I ran out and got 4 new one's. Unfortunately they still don't work. Also When I got out of the car I hit the lock button on the console, all the doors locked but the drivers door. I waited a few seconds thinking it might be on some kind of lock out prevention system. Wound up having to lock that door with the actual key, from outside. I couldn't even just push the lock button down on the door it wouldn't let go down.

I read the manual and found that if I insert the key in the ignition and turn to the #2 position (is that right before the starter engages?) turn back to the #0 and remove the key, then push and hold the lock button and push the unlock button, it should reprogram it, but it's still not working. Did I do that in the right sequence?

Any idea's? Like I said never had a Benz before so I'm not real sure on what to do. Do I have to take it to a Benz dealer for re-programming?

Thanks guys.........Marking this site to favorites as we speak !!

Last edited by ACLineman; 03-23-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2007 | 07:26 AM

Anybody ???
Old 03-24-2007 | 07:33 AM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
AFAIK the driver's door, when open, cannot be locked with the lock button. Outside it'll have to happen either with the remote or the key once the door is shut. This is to prevent from locking your key in the vehicle.

P.S.
You might want to wait more than 12 hrs. Members do sleep.

Welcome to the forum
Old 03-24-2007 | 08:53 AM

AFAIK ??? What does that mean ?

Anyway thanks for the info on the doors.

Sorry about the 12 hour thing and members sleeping.
I for one cannot sleep, I have a new ML in the driveway and it needs to be drivin.
In fact I think I'll go out and take it for a spin right now. However when I return I'll expect answers...... J/K of course..
Old 03-24-2007 | 08:56 AM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by ACLineman
AFAIK ??? What does that mean ?
STFF - YACAL link
Old 03-24-2007 | 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Most likely a bad lock actuator. Try the resynch proceedure and if that does not work determine which one is bad and replace it.
Old 03-24-2007 | 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
LOL, Thanks !!!
Old 03-24-2007 | 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by sosh
Most likely a bad lock actuator. Try the resynch proceedure and if that does not work determine which one is bad and replace it.
I tried the resynch proceedure agian today. Once I was finished I tried to lock the car and it locked. But that was it, it didn't unlock it. I unlocked it with the switch on the console and it didn't lock it a second time.

Doubt it's the actuator and not into replacing good parts.

The second remote didn't do anything at all......
Old 03-24-2007 | 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I tried the resynch proceedure agian today. Once I was finished I tried to lock the car and it locked. But that was it, it didn't unlock it. I unlocked it with the switch on the console and it didn't lock it a second time.

To avoid just throwing parts at it have it correctly diagnosed by an MB dealer. It will be well worth the few bucks it costs.
Old 03-24-2007 | 08:10 PM

Agreed, Thanks !!
Old 03-25-2007 | 08:12 AM

'11 GL350, '03 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T

The unlock button on the central console can't unlock the doors if they were previously locked with the remote. The key resynch procedure is for the 2nd remote that didn't work. Something tells me your resynch procedure didn't work. The manual says to press unlock button 5 times within 10 seconds while holding down lock button. Release the buttons then press lock, unlock or liftgate button once to end resynch procedure. Good luck!