M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Air conditioning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air conditioning

We have a 270 cdi ml,and tonight i noticed a small puddle of oil (like power steering fluid,blue/green in colour )around the front of the truck on the "near side" bellow the radiator.(right hand drive ml)
Puddle size is around the size of a house brick 9"x3" about 1/16" deep

After taking the belly pan off and having a closer look,i found a oil leak around a sealed can, that is at the side of the main radiator(nearside).It is silver in colour 3" in diameter and 6" long.with two steel pipes coming from it.

This container is between the main radiator, and the washer bottle.

The hoses that are connected to it, go, (1) to the lower part of a radiator and (2) through the front bulk head.
So i presume that it is to do with the air con system.

1st Question what does this little can do. (could it be an accumilator can) If so what does it do ?

2nd Will i damage anything, if it is to do with the air con,if i do not switch it on.(the air con that is)Is it still drivable, untill i can get it in the dealerships.(late next week).

3rd Has anyone had a problem with oil loss from the air con system

4th If it is a seal that has gone,(which it looks like) is it worth changing it myself and getting the system recharged at the dealers or just letting them do the job from start to finish, as the seal appears to be pennies.

Last edited by PAUL R; 05-04-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
currently drive the 83 300SD
If your vehicle is under factory warranty, I would not touch it at all. Let the dealer fix it. If what you're talking about is what I think it is, it's probably the A/C Receiver/Drier. The Receiver/Drier is basically like a dessicant bag and removes moisture from the air conditioning system. Water is not good in the system because it is not a lubricant and could over time cause failure of the A/C compressor as well as not letting the A/C system work efficiently. The oil is an obvious sign of a leak in the system. I am not too familiar with the 07 models, if there is an A/C off or EC button on the climate controls I would hit that, but on the newer models the compressor runs all the time so that will not help much. I think you'll be fine until it can get to the dealer, but even if anything else happened, as long as the vehicle is under factory warranty, they will fix it at no cost to you.
In the mean time, just keep an eye on all your fluid levels under the hood incase by chance it isn't A/C related.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy MB Rob
If your vehicle is under factory warranty, I would not touch it at all. Let the dealer fix it. If what you're talking about is what I think it is, it's probably the A/C Receiver/Drier. The Receiver/Drier is basically like a dessicant bag and removes moisture from the air conditioning system. Water is not good in the system because it is not a lubricant and could over time cause failure of the A/C compressor as well as not letting the A/C system work efficiently. The oil is an obvious sign of a leak in the system. I am not too familiar with the 07 models, if there is an A/C off or EC button on the climate controls I would hit that, but on the newer models the compressor runs all the time so that will not help much. I think you'll be fine until it can get to the dealer, but even if anything else happened, as long as the vehicle is under factory warranty, they will fix it at no cost to you.
In the mean time, just keep an eye on all your fluid levels under the hood incase by chance it isn't A/C related.
Thanks for your reply Crazy MB Rob,

Our ML is a 2000,so no warrenty,Like you say it A/C systems do not like water,and the leak appears to be around the drier.

As the bride works for another franchised dealership,they are prepared to regass the system, with a ultra voilet dye in it, to locate precisely where the leak is from.
so now its just a type of waiting game, untill time is avaliable in the workshop,so that the process of locating the leak will be cost free.

At least when it go's to our Mb dealership it will be a "i know what it is, can you replace that"

All the other fluid levels are OK. I have kept a eye on them and there is no movment.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
currently drive the 83 300SD
Sounds good. The A/C in my 01 ML320 blows ice cold.... my 97 E320 is another story though haha. It needs a new condensor (infront of the radiator)... right now I am just too cheap to fix it lol.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy MB Rob
Sounds good. The A/C in my 01 ML320 blows ice cold.... my 97 E320 is another story though haha. It needs a new condensor (infront of the radiator)... right now I am just too cheap to fix it lol.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:18 PM

Angry AC Problem

I have a 99ML 320. I won't go into the rash of problems I've had, but this one is particularly annoying. My A/C will work for a few days blowing cold air and then it will stop for a day or two and go back to working again. I don't know what causes this. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 05:36 AM

Well Guy's,The beast has had the A/C on test for the last month, with some dye in the system and there appears to be no leaks.

The fluid that was showing could have been some spillage from off the mechanic when the alternator drive pulley was changed,

I know you may say that the pulley is on the other side,But when the belly pan was removed something could have been placed on it and got knocked over.Likewise there could have been something place on the front panel by the washer bottle that also could have spilled.
I know that this is grasping at straws but there is no leaks and it blows cold so everything seems to be OK.

Cheers Guy's
Old 08-29-2007, 08:31 AM

l sl 7.3 koenig l cl 7.3 koenig l Ml 350
i have a problem with my a/c 2 when its like 40 degrees the air comes in hot even if its at max cold and speed. took it to gas refill the guy said its still got 3 qurters left he refiled it still the same.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:48 AM

Just an update,

I ended up having a new condenser radiator and a air dryer (this is a small canister near the windshield washer container).At a cost £450 or $900

A pressure test was done on the system and even though there were no signs of dye showing from the system,
The condenser did start blowing small bubbles on a seam, on the front of the condenser, so it was a visible leak (only under pressure though).
I can not explain why this was, as the pressure test was only 1bar above operating pressure,Nothing extreme,but never the less a leak was detected.

As I say the both items were replaced,as it is rule of thumb,If the system is opened a new air dryer is required.

The A/C now works as it did when I first purchased the ML in 2002.

Fantastic the air con that is,and not the charges.