M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML320 2002 Warning Lamp & Front Brake Pedal/Drivers side wheel banging?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ML320 2002 Warning Lamp & Front Brake Pedal/Drivers side wheel banging?

I have a 2002 ML 320 and on my last 2 outings I have noticed that the BAS/ESP lights have been on intermittently from starting up. If I restart the engine these go out, however now when accelerating the warnig light flashes twice and I hear a knocking/banging noise from the front drivers side. This same noise also happens when the brakes are pressed, and there is some vibration/knocking on the brake pedal, only when pressed. The vehicle has done 36000 miles and has good brake pads etc. It doesn't look like anything is loose neat the wheel. BAS/ESP lights not on anymore, just warning lamp. Noise does not appear to be there in reverse.

Any advice welcomed before I go to main dealer. Brakes seem to be working as usual other than this rather scary noise!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have something simmilar on my 2000 ML320
I had to get the acceloration sensor for the ESP
replaced under the centre console, This cost
$550. While turning and under breaking the right front
break would apply and shudder as this fault caused
the ESP to apply. Lucy you vehical is still under waranty.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:01 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
currently drive the 83 300SD
If yours is still under warranty, RUN to the dealer before it goes out of warranty! It might just need a sensor which isn't too bad, but if it were to need a module or the ESP brake unit, those are EXPENSIVE! If it's under warranty, you wont have to pay to get it fixed, the worst that will happen is your ML will be at the dealer for a couple days while they diagnose, order parts as needed, and then replace the faulty parts. But, there's a few different things it can be, so however you want to look at it (good/bad) you're gonna have to take it to the dealer.