M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

is the ML 320 (2000-2002)NOT A RELIABLE CAR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is the ML 320 (2000-2002)NOT A RELIABLE CAR?

Hello i have been thinking about buying a ML320 since I can t find an e320 with low miles
Consumer report does not think this is a reliable car?
any thoughts and feedbacks <positives and negative on that?

thank you
T
Old 06-02-2007, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Reliability and the ML

Two words not often used in the same sentence - ML and reliable.

That's not to say all ML's are unreliable - but it sure seems that a significant percentage have more than their fair share of issues.

A search of this forum and others will turn up a bunch of issues and known problems areas with the ML. Likewise it'll turn people who have had no problems (at least that's what they say) and many others who have had nothing but problems.

If you really want to scare yourself try googling lemom + ml +mb

I've just sold my ML and replaced it with a Lexus - wish I'd done so a long time ago.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:43 PM

2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Originally Posted by terry007
Hello i have been thinking about buying a ML320 since I can t find an e320 with low miles

thank you
T
Take Consumer's Report review as a valid warning. Get yourself a Toyota and drive home happy. Just the opinion of a 7 1/2 year owner of an ML. My 2 cents.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:52 PM

'03 ML350IE, '07 S550, '08 ML350CDI
Question for timdf

timdf

I see you have a Mini. I've been thinking about them, but the threads over on North American Motoring make me think Mini's are as bad as the "old" English cars. How's yours been? I was ready to order until I started reading forum comments.

Thx.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:18 PM

Japanese might be safest bet...

I've owned many makes and models of cars over the past 30 years. What the others have said above is fairly accurate: If you buy a Toyota (or other Japanese) product, you're going to get a very reliable, well-built vehicle. There's a reason so many are on the road.

That said, Japanese cars DO break, and they also have expensive parts. Try and buy a certified Lexus without the salesman telling you about the several thousand dollar gauge cluster, of the several hundred dollar relays. I had a Honda Accord way back when, and when its alternator failed at 105K miles, the part alone was over $300! I could pick up an AMerican car alternator for about $40 in those days. (Of course, the American parts failed about every 20K miles, so the price disparity shrinks.)

Also, I find the Japanese produts to be devoid of soul or personality. They are more like driving appliances. Is a Rolex a better time keeping device than a Seiko or even a Timex? Not at all, but many still purchase them. Send one out to be cleaned and think about the dozens of cheaper watches one could've bought...

I had an LS430 a few years ago, and it was probably the finest car I've ever owned, but it was boring to look at, boring to drive, completely isolated me from feeling the road, and was out of my garage in less than a year. Just not my cup of tea. I went back to an SL500 and replaced that with the new SL550. Are they better than the new Lexus? Probably not, but that's not what all of us are looking for.

As you read these postings, you'll find that some people have few problems. In fact, I'd speculate that in similar postings, more come back with few or fairly insignificant issues while others have nightmares. I have been one of the "lucky" ones with MB products since 1998. I have a 2003 ML350 and have nut suffered the ills I read about, but I am prepared that I may in the future. Honestly, if I'd been lurking around these boards back then, I'd have never gotten my ML, and what a shame it would have been to have not enjoyed this vehicle as I have.

You'll also find some very prolific posters who bought used MLs with lots of miles then are surprised when they need repairs. Frankly, some of these folks have had such nightmares, it's almost unbelieveable that any individual vehicle could have so many problems, but that is the reputation. Since you're looking at something older, bear in mind that it is NOT brand new and can not be expected to be brand new, regardless of the make. Ask the MB dealer to run its service history to get an idea of what type of vehicle it's been.

I will admit that the MB experience can be frustrating because service costs are so high, but there is something about these vehicles that keeps people coming back. I've had 5 now, but that doesn't mean I am 100% loyal. When the Lexus went to a 350 engine, I went out and looked. Excellent vehicle, but I'm too tall for it at 6'4" and there are literally thousands of them driving around where I live. However, had it been a little larger inside, I might be saying the same as timdf above. I checked out the Acura MDX back in 2003 (it was a very close 2nd to the ML...) and the brand new one. BMW, Volvo, VW, Audi. They all have their pros and cons. Read the forums on any vehicle (including Acuras) and you'll find enough to scare you off. (Reference my previous post to timdf about his Mini.)

For now, I am very happy with my ML, which is why I've kept it this long.

Best of luck in your search. If bullet proof reliability is your main requirement, don't go here. If you want something a little different and can accept the issues you will read abobut in these forums, go for it.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:23 PM

ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Our MINI experience...

Hi MBnAZ

With respect to our 2005 MINI Cooper S - we've had it for not quite 3 years and it's been a joy to own and drive. Since we've owned it, it has returned just over 30MPG and has been in for service only as dictated by the service schedule. We did have own small rattle when it was cold outside - a known problem promptly fixed by the dealer. We also changed the run flats to normal tires for a much improved ride.

It's not like the British cars of old (I'm a Brit by the way) - it's basically a BMW, with many of the same attributes - both good and bad ;-)

The early model years did seem to have a patchy build quality, bit like the ML, but later year models seem much improved.

Now that we've sold the ML and the Lexus RX400H can service as our load hauler and economical run-about, sadly we're putting the MINI up for sale.

It's only done 24,000 miles and we're asking $22,750 which seems to be the going price - pretty good residual and low depreciation.

I actually hope we don't sell it, as we've grown attached to it and the general MINI motoring experience - like the waves and smiles from fellow MINI owners.

If you take one out for a test drive - you'll be sold, they really are fun to drive, practical for road trips and great on gas !
Old 06-03-2007, 04:29 PM

Thanks, timdf. I have driven the R53 generation and the new R56. Definitely more room in the new Minis, but as I said, the forums scared me. Great to hear you've had a pleasant experience with yours. I keep seeing them on the road and thinking they represent the future - high mpg, small footprint what with ever increasing fuel costs.

Now I'd better let this die lest we get chastised for not talking MB.

Trending Topics

Old 06-03-2007, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
We've had our 2000 ML320 for over 3 years and it has only given us one problem, which was the CPS issue. Oh yea, we did have to replace the CD changer but that wasn't that big of a deal.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:43 AM
Almost a Member!

currently drive the 83 300SD
Consumer Reports editors are retards. And like any GUIDE, that's all you can take it for (A GUIDE). Not everyone likes the same thing 100%, if you search long enough you will be able to find a bad article on any car.
2001 to the end of run W163s are very reliable, most of the nit-picky problems had in the 1998-2000 MLs were taken care of. My 2001 ML320 has 110k miles on it, and except for needing an Aux fan mod and a couple power steering fixes, I've really had no problems with it. I love it.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:58 AM

What? You mean Consumer Reports wasn't right about those Audi 5000s running over all those spouses? The Suzuki rollover story was a sham?

Your comments are valid. It's sort of like movie reviews.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by MBnAZ
What? You mean Consumer Reports wasn't right about those Audi 5000s running over all those spouses? The Suzuki rollover story was a sham?

Your comments are valid. It's sort of like movie reviews.
lol, I couldn't tell you too much about Audi or Suzuki samurais. But I know what I see on a daily basis with Mercedes.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Just a tip for buying this old of a car. I would prob pick up a 00 ML since its simpler to fix certain parts and does not have fiber optics used for the radio and other junk. Back when I had a 2000 ML320 then changed to a 02 ML320 I had less problems with the 00 and liked the 00 better since it was lighter and had a lot less junk to go wrong. Going from pre face lift to face lift it added a lot of extra junk that I view as something more to go wrong. Again I just preferred the drive and ride of the 00 over the 02 especially in the 320 engine since the 02 has a lot more weight to all around and off the top of my head is 1 second slower to 60 than the 00 ML.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:48 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 350D GLC 250D, Previous vehicles W204, W164, W163, W210 & W202
Originally Posted by terry007

thank you
T
I had a 1998 E320 prior to my 2002 ML500. The two cars are very difficult to compare and which one you purchase should be based on your needs. If you have no need to tow or go offroad then the E320 is a much better car. The quality of the E320 (W210 not the helleven) is much better than ML and the high speed handling is not comparable.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:42 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Penn
I had a 1998 E320 prior to my 2002 ML500. The two cars are very difficult to compare and which one you purchase should be based on your needs. If you have no need to tow or go offroad then the E320 is a much better car. The quality of the E320 (W210 not the helleven) is much better than ML and the high speed handling is not comparable.
I have a W210 and W163 also and love them both. I guess he just needs to decide whether he wants an SUV or a SEDAN more. I like being high up in the ML and with good tires it still rides incredibly smooth, but at the same time i love the handling and even smoother ride of the sedan. But yeah, they are quite different vehicles.