M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

BAS/ESP problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAS/ESP problem

Hi all,

I have 2002 ML 320 with 65k miles. While driving back from work I noticed that BAS/ESP light came on when I applied the brakes, but it went away after few seconds. Got home fine and parked my truck. But, now when I was about to go out again I noticed that BAS/ESP light stayed on and shifter knob is stuck in PARKING mode. After reading the mannual I turned the wheels to left and right after starting the suv and the light went away, but as soon as I step on the brakes the BAS/ESP light comes back on again . I can't drive it because shifter knob is stuck in parking mode and it won't go in to drive.
Does anyone know whats going on or what the problem is? Please help me if you know anything about it.

THanks!
Old 10-09-2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by karanvirsandhu
Hi all,

I have 2002 ML 320 with 65k miles. While driving back from work I noticed that BAS/ESP light came on when I applied the brakes, but it went away after few seconds. Got home fine and parked my truck. But, now when I was about to go out again I noticed that BAS/ESP light stayed on and shifter knob is stuck in PARKING mode. After reading the mannual I turned the wheels to left and right after starting the suv and the light went away, but as soon as I step on the brakes the BAS/ESP light comes back on again . I can't drive it because shifter knob is stuck in parking mode and it won't go in to drive.
Does anyone know whats going on or what the problem is? Please help me if you know anything about it.

THanks!
the same exact thing is happening to mine also. Except mine is a 2001 w/ 130k miles on it. I start up the car and the BAS/ESP light goes on and I'm unable to shift out of park. If anyone knows what the problem plz let us know!
Old 10-12-2007, 05:07 AM

ML270CDI / A180CDI / 190SL
BAS/ESP issue

Originally Posted by Far4u16
the same exact thing is happening to mine also. Except mine is a 2001 w/ 130k miles on it. I start up the car and the BAS/ESP light goes on and I'm unable to shift out of park. If anyone knows what the problem plz let us know!
I had this broblem on my ML270CDI. A common problem is the actual electric switch on the brake pedal. There are 2 sets of contacts here, one for the stop lamps and one for the benefit of the BAS/ESP systems. Do your stop lights actually work all the time?
Th BAS system uses the time between the 2 sets of contacts changing state to decide whether you are doing an emergency stop or regular stop.
If - due to worn contacts - it can't decide the state of the switches - you get the BAS/ESP light come on. Replacing the brake stop switch is not expensive or difficult. Worth looking at before doing more expensive investigations.

regards, Graeme
Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 PM

02 ML320 Sport, 04 350z,06 E350 4matic
wierd

My MB had the same problem today.
I was stuck in a meeting and couldn't get to my wife. She read the manual and tried the suggested method of turning the steering wheel left then right. That worked but the vehicle still would not go into gear. She called for a tow but was in a parking garage. The tow driver told her that he couldn't tow her out but he had a way to get the car into gear. At the end of the gear selector track there is a little plastic piece. The piece can actualy be depressed . if you take a thin metal rod (screw driver) you can reset the locking mechanism that won't let the car go into gear.
My wife drove the car home no problems. We went to the dealer and the dealer said that they would put the car on the computer and get the code then check to see if it is under the extended warranty.
In the meantime well watch it to see if it happens again. Hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:03 PM

I fixed the problem on mine, by simply disconnecting the battery. Problem is that my car was used so I didn't get the radio code card.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Brake Light Switch Fix, easy DIY http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...e+light+switch
Old 10-13-2007, 10:05 PM

2000 ML 430
Yes, I have had to replace TWO break light sensors in two years. Do they go bad that often?
Old 10-14-2007, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Originally Posted by scannon
Yes, I have had to replace TWO break light sensors in two years. Do they go bad that often?
Guess so, like any other electronic componet, some may only last a few days, while others might last a few years. My 2 cents.