M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Sold My '00 ML320 Yesterday, Bought a Better SUV

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sold My '00 ML320 Yesterday, Bought a Better SUV

....must say, i did enjoy my ML. But over 2 1/2 yrs of enjoyment, noticed some stuff...like alot of hardware breakages, as you've all heard before. And a weak A/C system. And inability to permanently turn off my interior lights. And alot of hardware breakages...did i say that already? [usual suspects - glove box, arm rests, window switch, glue on windows...plus some unexpected ones - leaky front shocks, skippy CD player, leaky transmission, noisy door locks...]

Sooo.....i went out and did a little research, and last Friday - after exactly 91 day wait - I picked up my '03 Acura MDX.

Altho my objectivity may be challenged by you guys....my report:

* Can't even hear the tranny shift, that's how silky
* Quiet engine, quiet wind noise, quiet with sunroof glass exposed, quiet....
* Power...serious power...45 more horses than ML320, but feels like more
* Options I paid bucks for in the ML are included...(in the 'touring edition, a $2K option) heated seats, dimming rear view mirrror, privacy glass, leather, moonroof, memory seats, trip computer [and what a computer it is!), BOSE upgraded stereo w/7 speakers...and more I can't remember
* Thing is 4.5" wider and a little bit longer
* Features not found on ML: radio contols on steering wheel, AC outlet in armrest (for cell phone), dipping side mirror when in reverse, 3rd row of seats (!) that fold flat, much better visability (my ML front windshield covered about 70% of the MDX when I tried it), CD player in the dash, enourmous glove box, climate control - dual, at that...back seat passengers have their own condensor and have total control over back, etc, etc,...

So, I be happy. Hope you guys are too....trust me - I'm not trying to curse your darkness - just light you a candle.

[Oh...the MDX base is $36.3K....same warranty period as ML]

Last edited by stumpie; 11-04-2002 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Congratulations. You'll realy enjoy the MDX. They aren't bad. Too bad you'd so many problems with the ML. does the MDX have a FSS type service system? That was a deal maker for me. Generally, the rather "large" design of the MDX threw me off. I still prefer the ML.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML 320
good job

Good luck with the A-MDX!!! Maybe one day they will toss an "S" into that beast!
Old 11-07-2002, 08:34 PM

Re: good job

Originally posted by JJunkins
Good luck with the A-MDX!!! Maybe one day they will toss an "S" into that beast!
Thanks....does an 'S' mean like a Sport version?...this bad boy seems pretty sporty to me....45 more horsepower than the ML and yet 23 MPG on the highway....
Old 11-10-2002, 11:17 PM

2000 CLK320 Cabrio 2020 E 450 Wagon '92 VW
Congratulations on your new purchase. I hope you have lots of fun with and get good service out of your Accura. It’s too bad -- you just joined the MB Forum and now you’re leaving for Honda/Accura. We’ll look for you there. What’s the URL for a good H-A Forum?
Old 11-11-2002, 10:11 PM

hey, congrats on the new purchase, my mom got an MDX about 5 months ago and its an amazing car, it's Havasu Blue w/ black leather with the Touring and Nav package and i love it. since she has gotten 3 of my friends parents have gotten one too. The only thing i had with the MDX is not enough power, but i guess that is kind of sacrificed sometimes if you want to get 20+mpg out of an SUV. I dont think they are underpowered, just think itd be cool to be able to spin the tires when its dry But yeah, they are really great cars, here is a message board for the MDX.
http://www.acuramdx.org/
Old 05-18-2010, 07:49 PM

ml320
I have owned from 2000 onwards, 2 MDX's both since sold. I still have my 2000 ML320.
Whilst I totally agree with the OP's comments about the MDX, unfortunately over time the MDX is more lightweight than the ML and starts to feel cheap i.e. rattles squeaks, bodywork seems to mark more easily, car park door dents stand out more etc., dash rattling.

The ML has amazingly passed the test of time and not really got much worse than when new- 10 years on and it is still going strong. The ML has quality problems when new, but appears to be better quality product when older.

BTW - the MDX has more acceleration than my firneds 4.4i X5 so no idea what the last poster was on about.

Just MY OPINON.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:03 AM

02ML320
Honda Quality is something Mercedes Engineers can't even dream of, let alone built anything to match it. The deal breaker when I was shopping for an SUV and pick the ML over the MDX was 4 wheel drive, the MDX was not a 4 wheel drive car. The new one is now with SH4WD.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
You went to a much less expensive vehicle built to a lower price point. While it may be relaiable it certainly does not have the safety factors that the ML has and is under the skin much lower quality and strength. Keep in mind that your ML a W163 is no longer made and is old news so you really cannot compare value or features. The newest W163 ML is 5 years old. For one point check out the tesile strength of the steel used in both vehicles. That may open up your eyes a bit.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
MLs are built tough, safe & to last...

I can bet you that an Acura or Lexus is going to start feeling aged after a 8 year/120K mile run or so...minor squeaks & rattles, worn bushings, dull paint, fading trim etc. etc.

The ML on the other hand gives a feel of graceful aging...the power train, body and frame feel as solid, shiny & squeak free as they were on the first day..

To tell you the truth, the only thing, I have done with the power train on my 145K 10 year old 2000 ML is replace spark plugs..my neighbor has gone through 2 trannys on his 2000 Accord by now in comparison...

As for safety, the ML's pioneered ESP on SUVs..and I think, its safety features & record are impecable..way ahead of Lexus or Acura...

Lastly, there is the drive feel...an Acura drives like a Honda & a Lexus like a Toyota, no matter how fancy they get on the luxury features on them...there is something different about german car designs - the suspension, the chassis etc. etc. - the other day I was test driving a 2009 C class for my wife, and boy with 5 people inside, we cornered at 50 mph...the suspension feel and the lack of body roll in the rear seat was something I had never experienced in a compact sedan before..
Old 06-01-2010, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by mihir_d
I can bet you that an Acura or Lexus is going to start feeling aged after a 8 year/120K mile run or so...minor squeaks & rattles, worn bushings, dull paint, fading trim etc. etc.

The ML on the other hand gives a feel of graceful aging...the power train, body and frame feel as solid, shiny & squeak free as they were on the first day..

To tell you the truth, the only thing, I have done with the power train on my 145K 10 year old 2000 ML is replace spark plugs..my neighbor has gone through 2 trannys on his 2000 Accord by now in comparison...

As for safety, the ML's pioneered ESP on SUVs..and I think, its safety features & record are impecable..way ahead of Lexus or Acura...

Lastly, there is the drive feel...an Acura drives like a Honda & a Lexus like a Toyota, no matter how fancy they get on the luxury features on them...there is something different about german car designs - the suspension, the chassis etc. etc. - the other day I was test driving a 2009 C class for my wife, and boy with 5 people inside, we cornered at 50 mph...the suspension feel and the lack of body roll in the rear seat was something I had never experienced in a compact sedan before..
Very good point. However I do not think it will take 8 years to tell the difference. Perhaps anyone who is the least bit perceptive will begin to see the lack of durability and safety after maybe 6 months or a year. Mihir, its my take that some of these people that feel this way do not really have the perception of what is really under them while they are riding around. In addition in many cases comments like this come from people that cannot afford an ML or such and the cost of its ownership and this is their justification for downsizing without having to really talk about their financial situation.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
For those who question the wisdom of keeping their aging M-Class...

A year or so after I purchased me ML, this book was published on how the M-Class was concieved, designed & manufactured my MB...

http://www.amazon.com/Mercedes-Benz-.../dp/0760304319

If you haven't read it, I suggest, get a copy & read it...

It's down to the piston rings where MB's extensive research into material science has played a role in the making of ML, apart from all the other parts of the truck.

Yes 1997-2001 model years did have quality issues with fit & finish, but the drive train, frame & body were designed & built solid - to last for years....
Old 09-28-2011, 02:11 AM

mbz e320 & ml 320
i would never ever ever give up my 2000 ml for a lexus , let alone a acura mdx . i have never had a single problem with this 11 year old vehicle that has seen plenty of snowboarding and other outdoors trips . my older sister drives a lexus rx 300 her daughter a lexus lx 470 and the younger sis a lexus rx 330 and now they are starting the buyers remorse and my enjoyment is just starting with my ml having "only" 130 000 miles. Eat that ml haters
Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by stumpie

So, I be happy. Hope you guys are too....trust me - I'm not trying to curse your darkness - just light you a candle.

[Oh...the MDX base is $36.3K....same warranty period as ML]

Why exactly do we need a candle?
Old 10-02-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
W163 ML500 w/Kleeman headers (gone but not forgotten); R63
Candles?

Originally Posted by steven rensch
i would never ever ever give up my 2000 ml for a lexus , let alone a acura mdx . i have never had a single problem with this 11 year old vehicle that has seen plenty of snowboarding and other outdoors trips . my older sister drives a lexus rx 300 her daughter a lexus lx 470 and the younger sis a lexus rx 330 and now they are starting the buyers remorse and my enjoyment is just starting with my ml having "only" 130 000 miles. Eat that ml haters
Well, ML quality control is nowhere near what the Japenese competition provide, but in my case I have to agree.

I have an 02 ML500 (purchased late 05 w/78k, now 143k) and an 07 Lexus 400h with about 60k miles. Of course, the newer car has much more bells and whistles, including better Navi and built in bluetooth. The leather is nicer than MB tex. Remote control rear door, very convenient. But the w163 only lasted to about the 05 model year, so that is expected. I would guess the newest ML has ALL the features of either the Lexus or the Acural. But the difference is in the driving which is the primary reason I buy a vehicle.

The Lexus is nice enough for what it is. It is a decent highway car up to about 80 mph. After that, it feels a little light, in contrast to the MB which feels rock solid way into the triple digits. And that is with wider 255-55/18 tires on 18 inch AMG rims.

Passing is just ok in the Lexi. The CVT revs up for about a half second before there is any noticeable forward motion. Feels like a car that downshifts with a half second of slipppage. The MB on the other takes off hard, and if I want to get it ready, I can manually shift down a gear (can't be done on the Lexi, don't know about the Acura).

Open and close the doors. The Japenese cars close nicely enough, but the doors feel light. The MB closes with a thunk, like a door on a bank vault.

Towing? Not even close. The Lexi is rated for 3500 lbs. Maybe. The MB? It has a frame, it is a real truck underneath. 5500lbs here and 7700 in Europe, which to me is nothing more than MB USA simply looking to limit liability since most people don't know recommended towing weight is generally 80% of rated capactiy. I have towed 4000 lbs and you barely know anything is back there (other than watching the gas gauge!!!)

The Lexi gets better mileage, especallly in town. 24 ish for the Lexus (helped by the hybrid nature of the battery pack) vs about 17 for the MB. However on the highway, the faster you go, the less MPG advantage to the Lexi. Could be gearing, could be the CVT, but with the gearing changes I have done, I can get a real 20-21 mpg at 65 ish, while the Lexis gets around 23-24.

Repairs? None on the Lexi yet ( coming up on 1 year of ownership), minimal on the MB. Coolant reservior, power steering hose, and water pump. Otherwise, mostly maintenance items, including shocks.

Again, I am using the comparo only to note the difference in general between Japanese SUV's and our German SUV. And newer vehicles vs. older vehicle.

Candles? I don't need no stinkin' candles!!

Regards,
Jerry
Old 10-02-2011, 11:42 PM

W203-4M W163
My ML320 is now 12 years old, most people think it's 4-5 years old, and that's after living through Michigan winters. 135K miles. No rattles. Drives 95% like it did when I bought it. At that time, I drove Acura and Lexus, and they just seemed "light" compared to the ML. Safety features are outstanding, and it's amazing in the snow and ice.

No costs except routine maintenance (Cat Converter on passenger side replaced at 110K, but I don't consider that unusual).

This has been an outstanding vehicle, and it's still in excellent condition and fun to drive. I doubt that the Acura I drove is in similar shape after 12 years, but good luck with yours.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
I'll take the looks and safety of my ML over your Acura any day thank you very much!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:32 PM

1988 300E, 1994 E320, 1999 ML 320, 2002 SLK 32 AMG -SOLD-, ML 350SE -REPOSSESED-
Haha asian cars... I can't stop laughing
Old 11-14-2011, 10:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
Isnt the MDX like 5 years newer in design? I should hope its decently better in some technoligical aspects. I not knocking it, I had a acura RL and it was super nice. Enjoy it though, Happy motoring to all and to all a goodnight
Old 11-16-2011, 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by Stiggs
I'll take the looks and safety of my ML over your Acura any day thank you very much!

Did anyone here notice you guys are responding to a nearly 10 year old post???
Old 11-16-2011, 10:29 AM

1990 190E 2.6, ... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Good Point!

Here's an appropriate post -----
How's that MDX doing 9 years on?
Mike
Old 11-17-2011, 03:21 PM

1988 300E, 1994 E320, 1999 ML 320, 2002 SLK 32 AMG -SOLD-, ML 350SE -REPOSSESED-
Who cares! Its fun talking %^&* about asian cars because they suck...
Old 11-20-2011, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
I honestly did not notice.