M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML Lemon lawsuits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML 320
A mass air flow sensor is basically what it sounds like. It's a sensor that monitors the air intake and mixes the appropriate amount of gas to that air to create combustion.

When that sensor went out. It were as if I let off the gas and were in neutral. Once it would get down to 40mph, it would then get really jerky up to 50mph and then stop again. Very frustrating.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:25 PM

ML350
Well - I just got the VIN for my replacement ML. I was talking to the dealer and since I'm leasing the car, they call it an collateral asset swap. Not only am I getting an ML350 for my ML320, but my MBCC lease remains in force. I get to buy the '03 350 at the end of my lease for the residual price of the '01 320. My lease is has about 18 months on it, so I also have 18 months to put 39,000 miles on the car if I wanted to. My original lease agreement is still in force, just with a rider that says MB swapped one VIN for another. Funny, though, the dealer says he does about 15 of these "swaps" a year. I asked him what happens to the old car, but as with any dealer, you can only believe about 5% of what comes out of his mouth. He said the title gets stamped as a "factory buyback" and it just gets wholesaled at the auctions. The car is cosmetically in great shape, so I have a funny feeling it is going to get polished and put on his used car lot and some other poor guy is going to get stuck with it....
Old 12-20-2002, 04:35 PM

2000 ML 320
Once again I am amazed! I would be more than willing to accept that deal, even though I am about sick of Mercedes. That sounds like you got a good one. I lease my car too. It'll be up in 11 months. Maybe the will just swap me for the ML350 just like they did you and I will be home free. Let's all pray.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Let's hope the '03 doesn't have 1000000000 problems...otherwise you may be trading one problem for another.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:26 AM

ML 500
98%

98% of the time - I LOVE my 02 ML500!

But the few things it does are annoying.

3 continuing problems so far:

1) Break Squeel that started at 4k miles! Brakes cleaned, reinstalled, de-glazed, goop added - nothing - this time they are replacing w/ the new rotors and pads.

2) Throttle cable sticky. Actually had a service assistant argue that there was no calbe in there to be stuck and I'm "feeling something else" - I explained I knew what I was feeling and that this was NOT an SL500 w/ fly-by-wire. She went off in a Huff (I made sure to show her the service invoice for a new throttle cable. ) Seems these things cables come from the vendor with crappy grease that wears away (leaks out?) after 3 months. (Mine was slick for 2 months, bearable for 1 and now going back for cable #3.)

3) AC with a mind of it's own: Will NOT go into "auto mode" some times - will not go OUT of auto mode sometimes. Changes temperatures drastcally all of a sudden and fan speeds too. 75% of the time it's GREAT! adjusts perfectly to the Florida temps in the winter - (85 in the sun daytime and 40 at night.) So I have to drive it in when it's not allowing me to change it and it's blowwing the opposite of what it say it is.

Guess it's all the same stuff.

-Joe
Old 01-10-2003, 08:16 AM

2000 ML 320
Thats funny about the lady and the throttle cable.

The problem with it is this. The hole that was drilled in the firewall for the cable to go through, is at the wrong angle so the cable kinda goes in side ways and creates the binding. What it is actually doing is grinding away at ,inside-out, of the cable. Eventually it will cut all the way through the start working on your firewall.

I've had 7 cables in mine.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the only reason why I still keep my ML is because the fact it is safe and confortable. The electronic parts on the car just fails all the time.
I had a post couple days ago about the transmission and now I wonders if it is possible to make the car shift harshly everytime so that the dealer can do something about my transmission. I personally think that it is in the design of gear selection program.
Here's what I think:
1)When the car slows down to 10mph the gear switches from 2nd to 1st.

2)If you apply the gas at the right moment when it is switching, the car would shift very harshly because it is trying to go to second again but somehow the programs is wrong and switches from 1st and 2nd back an forth.

I think thats how the harshness comes from.

What do you guys think?