M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML320 very bumpy/jumpy esp in rear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML320
ML320 very bumpy/jumpy esp in rear?

Our 2001 ML320 has had a problem for as long as I can remember. The truck tends to get very bumpy especially in the rear; it really moves up and down quite a bit over bumps in the road, and even jumps/sways side to side during turns and over jittery surfaces. It's gotten to the point where I almost always get carsick.

The dealer kept claiming that it was normal, but I can't believe that the ML320 would have a less composed ride than a Honda Pilot or RAV4 (my only other SUV experiences). And I have no access to another ML320 to compare. I thought originally it might be the shocks, but the rear bumper test seems to show pretty good dampening.

Do you think this behavior is normal because it's a truck-based SUV, or could it really be a problem? It has 106k miles on it, so if it is abnormal what would be the initial suspects? I just want some background info when I bring it to a mechanic; I would hate to pour another couple grand into the truck if it won't improve the problem.

Thanks in advance :-)
Old 11-29-2007, 11:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
The way you describe it, I would say it's abnormal. I had a 02 320 for a few years and it never felt nervous in any situation, and I don't believe there were drastic (if any at all) suspension changes from MY01 to MY02.

That being said, I'd start by checking the tire pressure. If that's OK, then you most likely have a combination bad springs and shocks. At 106K anyway, it's way past time to replace the shocks. The springs, may be not. I'd ignore the dealer advice and replace the shocks/spring combo and any other accessory hardware that come with these components (bolts, washers, pads, ..., whatever). You'll feel a different ride.

There's a remote chance that you may have to look at the torsion bars or it's links, if after replacing the shocks/springs, you still have that sideways swaying. But that's remote. Please post (or just PM me) your solution, whatever it turns out to be. This is one problem that I have not heard or read about and I'm really curious to know what would cause this.

Last edited by Darkmann; 11-29-2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
Did you ever find out the cause . Interested as I am having similar problem.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 ML55,2007 ML63
Update your profile!!!!

Bumpy ride??? Is it jumpy or bumpy?
If it is jumpy it is your tyre pressure. Buy a digital tyre pressure gauge. When you fill your tyres at the garage always check them with your gauge. The garage gauges need to be calibrated every so often but no one does it.......So as a law you always overfill your tyres because of bad gauges.
If it is bumpy , I mean the whole of the back or front is moving up & down & keeps on moving then it is your shockes.