M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

What you don't know can hurt you.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 ML320 Sport, 04 350z,06 E350 4matic
What you don't know can hurt you.

Switched cars with the wife for a few days and noticed a loud clicking from the engine bay on cold startup in the morning. Did a search on the boards and self diagnosed as a lifter problem. I made an appointment at the dealer since I'm under ext warranty. So as I'm waiting a couple of days to take the car in I start hearing clicking noices when the heat is on. The sound is coming from inside the dash. I complain to the wife that that better be under warranty as well. She agrees and mentions that the passenger seat heater does not work as well as the driver's.
So I take the truck to the dealer. They promptly try to blame everything on me not getting the B service in 40k miles and 7k over the suggested service.. I tell them that I changed the oil in July and actually overfilled a little.
Well they're going to check it out and let me know.

I came home and checked the boards. Sure enough I found a possible cause to the clicking in the dash. Stupid cabin filter needs to be replaced.. Dealer's quote for B service $610, quote for cabin filter $130, quote from the boards $20-$30 and DIY. We'll see about the lifter issue.
I think they'll just say - needs b-service or cabin filter and oil change. Pretty sure the seat will be fixed.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 ML320 Sport, 04 350z,06 E350 4matic
Talked to the dealer. They cleaned the cabin filter? Lots of leaves.
Suggested an oil change since they said oil was low. Fine. Jiffy Lube was $100 and short filled it last time. No lifter roblem but they did see a water pump probvlem. replacing water pump and pulley under CPO warranty. Waiting on parts to replace both heated seats. I the meantime rocking a '07 c230.

Lesson learnded: Definitely get the extended warranty on MB's
Old 12-22-2007, 11:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
back in the 70-80's people got benzs because they were supposed to last 10-20 years. I think that's still true today, they just made them cheaper and now you need to pump some more money into them to keep them running.

Back then a benz is more expensive to where probably 2 out of 10 people can afford one compared to now it is something within the reach of more than 5 of 10 if not more. they dropped the cost and quality to get more people in, vs keeping cost and quality high and letting only a few people in.