M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Cup Holders

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus GS430, ML430
Cup Holders

Does anyone know how to remove/repair the cup holders at either side of the dash? Both of mine are not working. It appears there is some sort of spring that helps it "pop" out. Also, is there some place I can buy replacements if I cannot repair them?
Old 12-18-2007, 06:42 AM

2002 ML500
Same Here

this same thing happens to my cupholders. I think that in my case it is from too many spilled drinks and so they are sticky. When I push them in they don't pop out. I have temporarily solved this by after pushing them in I grab the corner and pull and they come out.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:51 PM

2000 MR-S daily driver, 1997 SL600 weekend fun, 1999 ML430 tow vehicle
I had both springs come out on each side so I just left the springs out and has been working for a long while now
Old 12-20-2007, 08:48 PM

2000 ml320 1986 560sel 1973 280se4.5
I borrowed these from cudaspaz in mercedesshop.com

If there is no spring tension any more, then you probably had the spring pop off inside the cup holder.

All you have to do is pry either side of the cup holder (middle pivoting piece) until you can pull one tab out and wiggle it out.
There you will see the spring inside the housing.
You have to reinsert the spring into the hole on the cup holder and then into the slot on the housing.
It may take some studying to see how it goes back in, but once the spring is in, you have to pop one of the tabs back into place(start with the side that the spring is on) and then pry a little bit to get the other tab into the hole and you are done.
This is a pain in the behind the first time you do it, but the next time you will be a pro.
The hardest part of it is holding the cupholder and the spring in it's seat in the housing until you pop the spring side into it's seat.

Let's hope this is all you had happen and did not bust one of the roller mechanisms.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:07 PM

ML320
I think I busted it

Originally Posted by roberthelfrick
If there is no spring tension any more, then you probably had the spring pop off inside the cup holder.

All you have to do is pry either side of the cup holder (middle pivoting piece) until you can pull one tab out and wiggle it out.
There you will see the spring inside the housing.
You have to reinsert the spring into the hole on the cup holder and then into the slot on the housing.
It may take some studying to see how it goes back in, but once the spring is in, you have to pop one of the tabs back into place(start with the side that the spring is on) and then pry a little bit to get the other tab into the hole and you are done.
This is a pain in the behind the first time you do it, but the next time you will be a pro.
The hardest part of it is holding the cupholder and the spring in it's seat in the housing until you pop the spring side into it's seat.

Let's hope this is all you had happen and did not bust one of the roller mechanisms.
My cup holder wasn't opening so I pulled it a little bit harder and I think I broke it for good. It opens now but doesn't stay closed. I will try to take it out to see what happened. I think a plastic mechanism popped on me and I may need to take it to the shop but only it I can't fix it myself.

Does anybody have the part number? Or used cup holders?
It's the dash cup holder on passenger side.

These damn cup holders!

S.P.

Last edited by pryce; 05-02-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-12-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ml 500
I got an ML500 who cupholder stays open ... were you able to figure out how to fix it..

I am trying to figure out how to get it out .. so from what I can see it pivots around two horizontal legs (axis) and has two tabs at the top which give it the support to stay level (flat) when open. So pry at the right and left and get the unit to come out of the tabs by moving the unit down is the right way to do it?

How do you get it out?