M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Extended warranty cover over 100,000 miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
Extended warranty cover over 100,000 miles

I'm new to this forum and have been reading for the past few days and feel slightly relieved I'm not alone with all the problems I've been having!!

I bought an ML320 2001 in June 2007 when it had 112000 miles. Now, 6-7 months later it has 118k and ive had a new fuel pump, new rear springs, new MAF, window switch gone (which im delighted to see one of the forum members has made a guide how to fix, so i will give it a try) and now the catalytic converter is gone.

Its costing me a fortune. I really love the comfort and looks of it but i have obviously bought a lemon.

Today I've looked into extended warranties and a company have offered me a limited warranty for £300 / $ 600 per annum
which only covers the engine, the gearbox, the turbo and the transmission and they will cover all labor costs but only 50% of the parts costs if things go wrong with any of the above.

Do you think this is a worthwhile investment? I am not mechanically minded and don't know much about the inner workings of cars so if anyone can tell me if any of the problems i outlined in the first paragraph would fall under the categories in the third paragraph I would be grateful.

many thanks
Old 01-29-2008, 05:08 PM

2000 ml320 1986 560sel 1973 280se4.5
I don't think any of your problems would have been covered under the plan you outlined.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:09 AM
Almost a Member!

01 ML320
Originally Posted by luckyg
I'm new to this forum and have been reading for the past few days and feel slightly relieved I'm not alone with all the problems I've been having!!

I bought an ML320 2001 in June 2007 when it had 112000 miles. Now, 6-7 months later it has 118k and ive had a new fuel pump, new rear springs, new MAF, window switch gone (which im delighted to see one of the forum members has made a guide how to fix, so i will give it a try) and now the catalytic converter is gone.

Its costing me a fortune. I really love the comfort and looks of it but i have obviously bought a lemon.

Today I've looked into extended warranties and a company have offered me a limited warranty for £300 / $ 600 per annum
which only covers the engine, the gearbox, the turbo and the transmission and they will cover all labor costs but only 50% of the parts costs if things go wrong with any of the above.

Do you think this is a worthwhile investment? I am not mechanically minded and don't know much about the inner workings of cars so if anyone can tell me if any of the problems i outlined in the first paragraph would fall under the categories in the third paragraph I would be grateful.

many thanks
To call your ride a lemon considering the mileage it had when you bought may be a bit harsh. A ride with that mileage and no paperwork or checks done to verify its maintenance history by its previous owner could be risky. Some owners as a point of maintenance have renewed the failing/failed items you have mentioned. Check online suppliers for the parts that have failed to reduce cost and have a reputable and knowledgeable mechanic do the diagnosis and repairs on your ride.

The warranty you describe is not worth it so i suggest that if you want to cut down on maintenance cost then a lot of the maintenace will have to be done buy yourself or an extremely helpfull and not to pricey mechanic.

Last edited by Mr Cheeks; 01-30-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:33 AM
Almost a Member!

ML320
Originally Posted by Mr Cheeks
To call your ride a lemon considering the mileage it had when you bought may be a bit harsh. A ride with that mileage and no paperwork or checks done to verify its maintenance history buy its previous owner could be risky. Some owners as a point of maintenance have renewed the failing/failed items you have mentioned. Check online suppliers for the parts that have failed to reduce cost and have a reputable and knowledgeable mechanic do the diagnoses and repairs on your ride.

The warranty you describe is not worth it so i suggest that if you want to cut down on maintenance cost then a lot of the maintenace will have to be done buy yourself or an extremely helpfull and not to pricey mechanic.
Thanks for the advice on the warranty. Its what i suspected.

The ml is a lemon up until 2001, not just mine. Doesn't mean its not an iconic motor, which is one of the reasons i bought it.

I bough the car with a full service history and had it checked over by mechanic before purchase!

And i saved more than 66% by sourcing all the parts myself and having a good mechanic but not mercedes fit them. For example, rear springs (mercedes only part) £900, but i paid £150 from a breakers yard. The cat is £850 from most places, managed to find it for £400 from one dealer but went on to buy it for £240 myself and had it fitted for £50.

Anyways, decision made, not going to go with the warranty. Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Almost a Member!

01 ML320
Originally Posted by luckyg
And i saved more than 66% by sourcing all the parts myself and having a good mechanic but not mercedes fit them. For example, rear springs (mercedes only part) £900, but i paid £150 from a breakers yard. The cat is £850 from most places, managed to find it for £400 from one dealer but went on to buy it for £240 myself and had it fitted for £50.

Anyways, decision made, not going to go with the warranty. Thanks for the replies.
Also try US websites like Autohaus and OEM parts direct who dispatch to the UK. They offer Mercedes OEM products at a fraction of the price of a UK mains dealer. Even even Euro parts or German and Swedish cannot beat their prices. Example a set of 12 bosch plugs and 12 ignition leads from a UK benz dealer £381 a similar patent part from an independent like Euro parts i was quoted £190 autohauz quoted me $307 or £150 including postage to the UK for the original bosch plugs ($4 = £2) and ignition wires. Be carefull of ebay though.

Last edited by Mr Cheeks; 01-30-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320
Originally Posted by Mr Cheeks
Also try US websites like Autohaus and OEM parts direct who dispatch to the UK. They offer Mercedes OEM products at a fraction of the price of a UK mains dealer. Even even Euro parts or German and Swedish cannot beat their prices. Example a set of 12 bosch plugs and 12 ignition leads from a UK benz dealer £381 a similar patent part from an independent like Euro parts i was quoted £190 autohauz quoted me $307 or £150 including postage to the UK for the original bosch plugs ($4 = £2) and ignition wires. Be carefull of ebay though.
Very good to know. many thanks.