M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Maintenance @92k on 2001 ML320?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2008 | 05:32 PM

Audi A8 & A6
Maintenance @92k on 2001 ML320?

Hello all,
I found a nice 2001 ML320 with all the options that I wanted but it has 92k miles on it. The car seemed to be in good condition, well taken care of. What am I expecting to spend on this one for maintenance or things to fail at this mileage? Please give some info. This is from a dealer, therefore, there's no maintenance records of the ex-owners. Carfax is clean.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 02-05-2008 | 04:17 AM
Almost a Member!

01 ML320
Read the sticky list of stuff to watch out for on W163
Old 02-05-2008 | 04:55 PM

ML
Read the sticky as advised but be very careful with that sticky - the issues stated don't necessarily apply to later year MLs. As for the 92K service, there's really nothing like that with the later model MLs (I believe from 2000 model year) - the service is dictated by several conditions, including driver "behavior." Thus, the system will tell you (on the display) when service is due. That said, if I were to buy a 01 ML today, at the very least, I'll do the following:
1 - I will look for a 04 or 05 instead - much better built trucks
2 - If I can't find a 02 -05, I'll go progressively downwards, 03, 03, 01, 00. In 02, MB significantly changed the truck and you may want to take advantage of that. I drove a 00 for a while, then had a 02 320 which was later traded for a 05 500, so I know a little bit about the changes - significant.
3 - If you still want a 00 model, get the VIN, go to a MB dealer and ask for a VIN check. They will at least give you some service data on the truck.
3.1 - ask for all service recalls/TSB activity on the truck (check here for that or use the information on the sticky)
3.2 - have the truck inspected by a qualified MB shop - use sticky data and don't be shy because maintenance can be serious on these trucks.
4 - Come here a lot and ask a lot of Qs b4 you write that check. These trucks can be problematic if not properly maintained. Infact, some of them are just darn problematic, regardless of maintenence, period!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5 - And if you do get the truck, spend the money to get ALL the fluids changed/serviced, including drive train fluids. Don't take no for an answer because MB shops may tell you that the tranny/xfer-case fluids don't need replacing. Have them replaced.

After all that, you're good to go. Problems will happen, but come back here for solutions. We're pretty good here at flaming idiots and also at helping everyone, including flamed idiots, so don't be shy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Darkmann; 02-05-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2008 | 05:21 PM
Almost a Member!

1988 300E, 1973 450 sl, 1999 ML320, 1986 300E, 1985 190D
cool

if you are gettign the truck then with all used cars start that there is nothing down. change all the flueds and filters. and then go to the dealership and have them check for the recalls and yu be don. for me I did all that and then changed the spark plugs.
Old 02-05-2008 | 06:42 PM

Audi A8 & A6
Thanks all for your inputs, I'm not in a hurry to get this ML for my wife. Yes, I read a lot and looked at differences between the years. Darkman is right, I like the 2002 over the <2001, besides the headlights, I also like the interior better. I found a few 03 & 04 ML350, but I don't know if I like the 3.7 liter engine that only used for these 3 years 03-05, not much more hp but bad on the mpg. My wife doesn't need the extra hp and she's very heavy footed on the gas pedal.
My goal is to find an 03 ML320 with 7 passengers option & heated seats, we go skiing every chance we get and I do like the them. Audi has both front and rear heated seats, I can't believe MB only make the front ones with the money they charged.
I think all cars have pluses & minuses, I just want to know what I'm getting into. I've been driving AWD cars since the late 80s, and they've all been Audis. Now with 2 kids and we need 7 passenger AWD (I don't know why, but that's what she wants), I have to start all over with a new type of car, although it's an MB, but with a not very good reputation (like people say "they don't make them like they used to").
Anyhow, thanks for everything, and btw, do they still use timing chains in the MB or timing belt these days?
Old 02-05-2008 | 08:04 PM

ML
I think you're making a very good balance between model year and your preferences. I totally agree that the extra HP of the 350 is really not worth the money - besides, that HP comes late in the RPM anyway, so, really no net gain for my driving style. I can't guess as to why she wants 7 seats, but they came in handy (and still come in handy) with me, my wife and our three kids. The oldest is now 15, and almost 5'6" and she still fits back there when the middle seats are moved a bit forward. if you can find one, get it. Yes, MB still has chains, they're not noisy and practically last the life of the vehicle - unlike belts!!! if you really want all three rows heated, there are OEM outfits that sell easy to install kits.

Last edited by Darkmann; 02-05-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-06-2008 | 03:13 PM
Almost a Member!

1988 300E, 1973 450 sl, 1999 ML320, 1986 300E, 1985 190D
its good to take your time

I think I speak for all of us and sayign we would be very happy if you became a MB ower. they are very safe and very very very good in the snow. i know becous well im in the state of Wa. and o yah we have snow. I just ogt rid of my 3rd row.
Old 02-06-2008 | 05:12 PM

Audi A8 & A6
Dave,
I was thinking about getting a 5 passenger with all the options and get the 3rd row afterwards, but the 3rd row cost ~2k (used) and god knows how much for the new ones. That's why it's so tough to find one with everything on it. I found one 03 with most of the stuffs, but the color is the one WE can do without.

03ML320

Thanks,
Old 02-06-2008 | 07:40 PM

ML
Originally Posted by ltooz_audis
Dave,
I was thinking about getting a 5 passenger with all the options and get the 3rd row afterwards, but the 3rd row cost ~2k (used) and god knows how much for the new ones. That's why it's so tough to find one with everything on it. I found one 03 with most of the stuffs, but the color is the one WE can do without.

03ML320

Thanks,
Get one with 3rd row already installed, otherwise it gets more expensive timewise and cahswise. Did you try the MB used car database? Also, don't limit yourself to your locality. These trucks are usually under $1K to ship, coast to coast. My new 05 500 came all the way from CA to MD - I just wanted the darn thing and it was the only available 500 Sport with all options including 3rd row. Be patient, if that's even an option for you.

BTW, my advice here to your wife: with only the four of you, you'll need the rear room more than a 3rd row. You will only need that third row when the kids start simulating world wars back there. However, with that divider in between them, the wars will be timid. If you had three kids, then 3rd row would be a basic requirement. I have 3rd row and do a lot of driving with the three kids. I can gage very weel how useful or useless they can be. Now see if you can convince her of that.

Last edited by Darkmann; 02-06-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-06-2008 | 08:05 PM

Audi A8 & A6
Darkman,
I was reading the reviews by consumers and I couldn't stop laughing. Some hated the ML so much that they could write poems for it... Many loved them. What's up with the brakes & power steering hose failures. Plastic parts falling off inside the car? Sunroof handle breaking off?
Yes, I'm very patient, I'll get a good one. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2008 | 07:48 PM

Audi A8 & A6
Thanks all for your inputs.... My wife demanded Q7

We picked up the 08 Q7 last weekend, unbelievable. From a teens Ks car to 50k car in a flash. Well, she doesn't want to spend over 20k for a used car and not a very reliable one. She's afraid of being dead in the middle of the street due to this cam sensor thing.

Thanks all for your inputs, at least in 4 years, I don't have to worry about fixing anything on this car except designing a fixture for a 14"-17" screen laptop for the kids to watch all their movies (stored in the hard drive) without me searching for DVDs while driving.

THE_WIFE_NEW_RIDE