M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Conked out at traffic lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
Conked out at traffic lights

Ml320 conked out at traffic lights today for no apparent reason.

Any ideas as to why this may happen?

it "felt" like it just ran out of fuel, and shut down. but plenty of fuel and it started again straight away.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:49 PM

01 S2000, E46 M3, 99 ML320
Originally Posted by luckyg
Ml320 conked out at traffic lights today for no apparent reason.

Any ideas as to why this may happen?

it "felt" like it just ran out of fuel, and shut down. but plenty of fuel and it started again straight away.

Sounds exactly like my car problem and will only get worse.....

Check the crank sensor!

We thought it was the fuel pump and even a bad ecu but turned out to be a faulty crank sensor which is a common problem listed in the sticky thread up top of common ML issues!

rick
Old 02-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Almost a Member!

01 ML320
Did the CEL light come on afterwards? Was there any previous symptoms like erratic idling or hesitation when accelerating? It could be your crank positioning sensor giving up the ghost. This has happened to me and it turned out to be my plugs and wires. CPS is easy to replace search the forums.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320
Originally Posted by s4play
Sounds exactly like my car problem and will only get worse.....

Check the crank sensor!

We thought it was the fuel pump and even a bad ecu but turned out to be a faulty crank sensor which is a common problem listed in the sticky thread up top of common ML issues!

rick
thanks s4play. how much did it cost you to fix? i just replaced the fuel pump two months ago!!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320
Originally Posted by Mr Cheeks
Did the CEL light come on afterwards? Was there any previous symptoms like erratic idling or hesitation when accelerating? It could be your crank positioning sensor giving up the ghost. This has happened to me and it turned out to be my plugs and wires. CPS is easy to replace search the forums.

dont know if cel light came on. was too freaked out about holding up all the traffic behind me!!

may i ask, what is a CPS and what does it do, many thanks for you reply.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
CPS Chrankshaft position sensor. CPS is on the bellhousing, it is harder to get to on a ML then other cars since the coolant tank is right above it. If you can get your arm down the back of the left head then it is pretty easy to replace. Need E8 inverted torx, remove the bolt, pull out the sensor, twist to brake free and pull out. Install new.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:43 AM

'11 C300
Actually this is a common problem and I don't know the cause. Happened on my '99 ML320 and now happens since purchased on my '03 ML320. Doesn't happen all of the time. I have posed the same question on this and other Benz forums and really didn't get a response as to what can be causing it. On both cars I thought it could be the fuel filter or something fuel related but money thrown that way was a waste. Still did/does it. I know it happens on a bunch of ML's. Knowing it is going to do it I just put my foot gently on the accelerator when stopped with the other foot on the brake to keep the idle up and prevent stalling and live with it. I had not tried replacing the CPS. If it works for you let us know.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:13 AM
Almost a Member!

ML320
Originally Posted by OttoBon100
Actually this is a common problem and I don't know the cause. Happened on my '99 ML320 and now happens since purchased on my '03 ML320. Doesn't happen all of the time. I have posed the same question on this and other Benz forums and really didn't get a response as to what can be causing it. On both cars I thought it could be the fuel filter or something fuel related but money thrown that way was a waste. Still did/does it. I know it happens on a bunch of ML's. Knowing it is going to do it I just put my foot gently on the accelerator when stopped with the other foot on the brake to keep the idle up and prevent stalling and live with it. I had not tried replacing the CPS. If it works for you let us know.
happened to me again yesterday in same type scenario-slow driving in traffic and stopping a lot.

it sounds like a good idea to give it some gas like you said. will try it next time.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:11 AM

2000 Mercedes-Benz ML320
luckyg,
I would suggest changing out your Crank Position Sensor if you have not already. The part costs about $80 and it pretty easy to do. Search the forum there are a couple walk throughs. Here is the most recent I have seen:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...407&highlight=
If this isn't the problem right now, it will be for sure one day. Trust me you don't want to get stranded on the highway in the middle of summer like I did. As the weather gets warmer your bound to have more problems. This problem occurs around 60k-100k. Just my two cents. Good luck.