M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Juat a Few Reminders

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Juat a Few Reminders

I posted this on Benzworld, but, what the heck:

I was installing my summer wheels and tires this afternoon and thought to share a few reminders here as the season changes. Chime in with your season prep tips please:

Doing rim/tire Change Over for Summer?
  1. Get the right tools to do the job.
  2. Inspect pads and suspension pieces when you take off each wheel. Also take a look at the tranny pan to make sure it's not wet with tranny fluid!
  3. If you like, use a hose to spray off dried salt/sand/dirt that would have accumulated over winter.
  4. Use some silicone spray grease on the poly bushings on the rear sway bar/anti-roll bar!
  5. I usually spray all the rubber CV boots also with the silicone grease while the tires are off and everything is nicely exposed.
  6. Clean wheels inside and out before installing. I also use a small screwdriver to "dig" out small rocks that had taken residence in my tire groves during the winter driving. I get them all out. If it's a nail that's actually sealing things, I leave it alone and have the tire repaired.
  7. Even the OEM whell/tire package is pretty heavy, so lift carefully. If possible, get a wheel anchor like the sedans have. I'm still looking for one.
  8. Maybe a good time to rotate tires - front to back for 4WD, I believe (as opposed to the X pattern for others).
  9. Don't forget to install lug nuts using the star pattern. The recommended torque for my 05 500 is 110ft-lb. I go a tad higher to account for uncertainties in using a torque wrench you have no idea if it's calibrated.
  10. If you have anything other than OEM rims (a lot of us do), then don't forget to keep a set of lugs in the car. This is because the OEM spare tire works only with the OEM lugs - just in case one of your 28 inch tires goes flat for some reason and you need to use the spare!
  11. Record mileage at installation - it'll help remember when to do the next rotation.
  12. Do a test drive at various speeds to make sure all is OK - alignment and balance mostly. You could loose a balance weight without knowing it, so test drive it!
  13. One other thing I also do at this time is to use some leather cleaner/polish on the seats, especially the driver's side. I apply it on and by the time I'm done with two tires, it's ready to be wiped down. Keeps the leather fresh, and smelling nice too.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 C300
Some good tips and a few that I certainly wouldn't have thought of doing with the wheels/tires off the ML. One to add: Great time to clean up the wheel wells. Safety: Make sure you have good sturdy jack stands!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94-MBC-220/03-ML320
just asking question

hi hey man, question.in your opinion but first, let me tell you this, i have an 03-ML320- which i have it for 8months now. i already replaced the back door lacht, the fuel door lock(the plastic lacht) and the lower power steering hose came off. the dealer replaced that. and the bottom bumper grille. this truck has 49,000 thousand miles only. you know what sometimes i'm scared to use this on long drive like 5- to 10 hours drive . i don;t wanna get stall at the side of the highway. what you guys think.please i need some input. thanks i'll apreciate it. I'm planning to trade this in back to japanese car. its more reliable.coz, i have a Lexus GS300 its perfect i have no problem at all.I have a C-220 ITS A 96- old school, its only have 28,000. thousand miles on it.but this is made in germany. the ML -is made in usa. thats why. don;t get me wrong.ML made by Crysler.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
your. post. is. very. difficult to understand... you may want to post it in another thread... or start another thread entirely.

Darkman, thats a pretty good list, I would also recomend people give there wheels a good cleaning in the summer I usually clay bar my AMG wheels, compound them, polish, wax and seal... makes em look new again
Old 04-09-2008, 04:59 PM

ML
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
y... in the summer I usually clay bar my AMG wheels, compound them, polish, wax and seal... makes em look new again
And helps tremendously with keeping the dust away, for those who have OEM pads.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:04 PM

ML
Originally Posted by renato
hi hey man, question.in your opinion but first, let me tell you this, i have an 03-ML320- which i have it for 8months now. i already replaced the back door lacht, the fuel door lock(the plastic lacht) and the lower power steering hose came off. the dealer replaced that. and the bottom bumper grille. this truck has 49,000 thousand miles only. you know what sometimes i'm scared to use this on long drive like 5- to 10 hours drive . i don;t wanna get stall at the side of the highway. what you guys think.please i need some input. thanks i'll apreciate it. I'm planning to trade this in back to japanese car. its more reliable.coz, i have a Lexus GS300 its perfect i have no problem at all.I have a C-220 ITS A 96- old school, its only have 28,000. thousand miles on it.but this is made in germany. the ML -is made in usa. thats why. don;t get me wrong.ML made by Crysler.
Like 55Fanatic pointed out, it's difficult to understand your post. From what I get, you are satisfied with the Japanese and the Ml is a headache - get rid of the ML and get any Jap you want. They will be more reliable. All you'll miss is the fun factor.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by Darkmann
And helps tremendously with keeping the dust away, for those who have OEM pads.
I got rid of that junk after 2 brake jobs on my ML... both were about 14k miles each... I switched to zimmerman rotors and porterfield RS4 pads... Im going on 25k miles now and there is still meat left on the pads and rotors are doing great