M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML 500 vs. GX 470 My 2 Cents

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 10:30 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You merely rehashed your previous arguement, I believe the Land Cruiser was mentioned at length prior to my reply, hence my inclusion of it. Besides, they are both Luxury SUVs, and in the same price segment. Or maybe is it that MBs are overpriced?

I don't know, but I sense hostility... I was just suggesting that your opinions were biased. I'm just offering numerical, logical deduction. Look at the KBB, prices, performance, sales etc.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:07 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
ok i did some research,

here goes....1999 ML 430..new base msrp.-43000
1999 Land Cruiser..new base msrp.-46000
this info is from edmunds.
kelly bb......2000 ML430 with 30000 miles in excellent cond.
2000 Land Cruiser with 30000 miles in excellent cond.
the land cruiser depreciates less by 3000 dollars.
understandable since the land cruiser has been in production for many years. remember the ML name plate is only 2 years old at the point where i put my numbers together. imho it is holding it's value pretty well "for not being a real Mercedes".

as for sales...the ML buries the land cruiser in the US.
and as for performance...the ML will run circles around the land cruiser in all but the roughest environments.

so much for logical deduction.
oh and sorry...i don't mean to sound hostile....i'm just trying to be factual and enlightening.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:54 PM

red bicycle
My opinion...like most of the Lexus line, the GX470 suffers from poor styling. Lexus emulates the LS430 in the front, yet the profile is very similar to the GMC Envoy. And the back is too busy. I'm sure it's a great SUV with outstanding quality, but the styling is not coherent. To each his own.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:30 AM

there's no such thing as a stylish suv.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:06 AM

s65AMG, sl500
Ah spotted, I was being tongue in cheek about the country club.

SLequalsHARDON you are of course right on the money, but in the US you are more open minded, the lexus products in the UK still carry a bit of a stigma , probably unjustified apart from thier unusual styling. People still associate them with Toyoyta (still a good brand, but not thought of as premium), this isn't helped when they have cars that are Lexus and Toyota sharing the same shell.

Down at our club the SUVs tend to be X5s, MLs, Range Rovers and Jeeps, I've seen a Land cruiser there (GX shell), but no Lexus SUVs.

I really liked the original LS400 when it came out, but since then the styling of most of their products has been a bit too off the mark for me and I think UK tastes, the sales have suffered abit. I really looked forward to the conv SC430, a 4.3 conv with a hard top , till I saw it , great engineered car, very unusual styling.

In answer to your M3 cab vs Coupe question.

The Cab is the best 4 seater cab for the money.
Its is about 3% slower than the coupe, has 3%+ less grip 0.86g, mileage is slightly worse at speed, its a bit less rigid on bad roads you do get some body flex, but then you get that in the Boxster S I've got as well, its not enogh to upset the cars grip on the road or affect the steering, but it can make the car creak against the hood on the worst bumps. In bad weather there is a bit more wind noise/rain noise with hood up than the coupe, but it's remarkably good and almost as quiet as the coupe in most circumstances. But the best bit is the hood comes down, you get to hear that glorious engine and experience more of the thrill of driving, to me it more than makes up for the dynamic advantages the coupe has.

The Coupe is one of the best 4 seater coupes for the money. Its steering may be a fraction better but I would have to drive thenm back to back again to check. As mentioned above its a bit quicker and has a bit more grip. They both have really hard rides .

It comes down to if you won't put the hood down a lot get a Coupe, but if you put the hood down ocasionally get the Cab .

The reasons we went and got the ML are, we needed a car with a more comfortable ride for long trips than the Porsche or M3, comfortable for 4 adults, reasonable luggage room, good in bad weather, with some off road ability (forestry and country estate tracks), decent on road performance and that also wouldn't look out of place going to a posh Hotel for the weekend ( badge snob).

We did look at the X5, ML and Grand Cherokee 4.7, no Lexus I am afraid , but the ML was the best overall package and the deal offered good value.