M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Some strange issues with my 02 ML320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some strange issues with my 02 ML320

Did some searching around, but couldn't find anything that might cover what I've experienced, so apologies if its' been posted and solved before.

My 02 ML320 started acting a little weird (electrically at least) about 3 weeks ago. The automatic windows stopped working right, and if you press two window switches at the same time, neither window will go down.

The folding mirrors started acting up at the same time; rather than have them fold in or out completely after pressing the button, they only move a bit (a tiny bit), so to fold in or out, you have to press the button repeatedly until they're in position.

Finally - after my driver's side headlamp started flickering on vacation this weekend (I've got the stock Bi-xenons), it went out on our return trip. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to diagnose this, and determine whether I've got to replace a bulb or if there's something more onerous waiting for me.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:08 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
You may have a fuse panel that is on its way out...

Originally Posted by giantcrazy
Did some searching around, but couldn't find anything that might cover what I've experienced, so apologies if its' been posted and solved before.

My 02 ML320 started acting a little weird (electrically at least) about 3 weeks ago. The automatic windows stopped working right, and if you press two window switches at the same time, neither window will go down.

The folding mirrors started acting up at the same time; rather than have them fold in or out completely after pressing the button, they only move a bit (a tiny bit), so to fold in or out, you have to press the button repeatedly until they're in position.

Finally - after my driver's side headlamp started flickering on vacation this weekend (I've got the stock Bi-xenons), it went out on our return trip. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to diagnose this, and determine whether I've got to replace a bulb or if there's something more onerous waiting for me.

Thanks for any advice!
Check to see if the e-box fan is working...if it has been dead for a while, your fuse panel could be over heating off and on...especially, in peak summer days on long drives, the fuse panel will start to act up because of the excessive heating...

You may also have some relays that are either blown or on their way out...some of what you describe could be the result of relay chatter.

Some of these problems may go away after you leave your truck parked for a few hours and as the sun sets...but if the panel has taken heat damage, some problems may go away, some will not...and so on.

The e-box fan is a known problem on the MLs...
Old 08-29-2008, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mihir - I'm definitely going to check out the e-box fan and see if there are any fuses shot.

I know that the problems are present when the vehicle is cold, so I'm hoping that whatever damage is present only happened to the relays and fuses and not the more expensive electrical components.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Unfortunately, on MBs, relays and fuses are not cheap either...

Originally Posted by giantcrazy
Thanks Mihir - I'm definitely going to check out the e-box fan and see if there are any fuses shot.

I know that the problems are present when the vehicle is cold, so I'm hoping that whatever damage is present only happened to the relays and fuses and not the more expensive electrical components.
The relays are almost $15 a pop and the fuses $5 a pop.

I have been having similar problems for almost 1 year now....until eventually, I seem to have figured out the problem. Once I started doubting the e-box fan, I got it checked right away.

My mechanic is sure that my e-box fan has been dead for a while. At this point, he isn't very confident on the fuse panel. It may have taken permanent heat damage...he adviced on changing both to stop these mysterious electrical problems from happening..

I scoured on the internet and found a salvaged fuse panel off a wrecked ML 350 with all fuses and relays on it on eBay for $90 (new from MB is $500).

Ordered the new e-box fan for $86, and will probably pay my mechinic around $150 to swap out the fuse panel & blower fan. The car is going to the shop soon after labor day weekend.

All in all, if $350 solves these mysterious problems...it is well worth it.

I have been mysteriously losing critical functions like fuel pump relay (car will stall on hill climbs), starter solenoid relay (car refuses to start)...etc.

Everytime, I swap the relay out everything is fine..for a few months and then the sequence repeats...