M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Shock Options...PLEASE advise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML320
Shock Options...PLEASE advise

Can anyone out there please let me know what the best option would be for shocks....looking for a soft ride, comfortable...Ive heard the bilstein are tight and hit hard on bumps.....I have 120k on original and my truck rides like shi%...I was going to trade it in but I love to much, had it since new....00' So I am going to restore it as best I can. I just had it painted and replaced all of the lights, grills etc...looks great, rides like hell. I got all of the bushings and ball joints...etc. L. axle too. Now I need some good shocks....
Also, I want to lower the truck 1.5" with the Eibach springs in the rear and the Torsion bars up front. But I need some input on the right shocks to buy. Also, I am on a tight budget....and there are aftermarket 20" rims with semi low-pro tires.....
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Chris

Last edited by chriswit1; 09-22-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Since budget is tight and you want soft ride, I'd get rid of the 20s first (i.e. if you still have the original rims) - it'll ride better - and forget about lowering. If that's not possible, look at Monroes. I believe Sachs makes some also for the ML. The 'Steins are definitely way too stiff for you. Be careful because the OEM shock/spring is a matched pair. Make sure whatever springs you chose will not allow the spring to bottom out over moderate bumps.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML320
Thanks for the reply...I have decided to scratch the idea of lowering and I ordered 27 55 r20 at tires that should give the truck a better ride, they are 32" General Grabbers. Would the monroe/sachs shocks still be a good choice if not lowered....please advise....Thanks
Old 09-26-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by chriswit1
Thanks for the reply...I have decided to scratch the idea of lowering and I ordered 27 55 r20 at tires that should give the truck a better ride, they are 32" General Grabbers. Would the monroe/sachs shocks still be a good choice if not lowered....please advise....Thanks
They still would be. I like the hard ride so I can't really talk much about the softer options. There are many here and at benzworld (benzworld dot com) who have transitioned to the Monroes/Sachs/softer systems. Do a search. My choice is 'Steins, H&R and no LoPro tires, all around - that's darn stiff. But then I drive the truck rarely, mostly between MD and GA/LA area, 98% highway, so the harshness isn't an issue for me!