M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

hitch advise for a 2000 ml430 (dealer discontinued)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml430
hitch advise for a 2000 ml430 (dealer discontinued)

I have a 2000 ml430 that I need to pull around a small utility trailer (harbor freight 1700lbs max) and after searching the forums and calling dealers, I''ve come to find that MB does not make or sell this hitch or wiring harness anymore. I''d prefer a MB one and am looking into junkyard pulls, but I would like to get a recommendation from this forum.

http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant...ategory_Code=H

This hitch looks most like the MB version and is what I''m leaning toward (it has the frame brackets, the MB yard pull ones don''t). Is this a decent product in terms of quality and look? Does it fit with the stock bumper? As for the wiring harness, any ideas? It looks like I''ll have to grab a plug that mates to the stock harness and pull out my multimeter to test. Do wiring diagrams exist? I can''t find them on the forums.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
00 ML430, 00 E320 4matic wagon
It does match up the the bumper holes and looks nice once installed. Be sure to use loctite. As for the electrical, you will need a 5 wire harness. I did not have a wiring dagram. I removed the tail lights and used a multimeter.
If you want to cut the hitch cover to fit around the receiver, use a piece of cardboard as a templet. Once you get the hole in the correct place and the correct size, cut a line straight up from the bottom to the hole to allow it to twiwt to fit over the receiver. Try several times to get it perfect before you cut into your cover.
Good luck