M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Which grade of gas are you using?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'82 turbo yugo
Re: Thats exactly why at WOT the knock sensors..

Originally posted by timdf
My 996 TT however because its turbo charged and thus at a much greater risk of detonation always gets 91 octane.
...and it is optimized to run on 93 so the ECU is retarding the timing with 91 octane gas to prevent detonation.

Kind of like the ML's ECU does when you use 87/89 or it's really hot.

(insert goofy smiley here)
Old 07-29-2003, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Oh NO!!!

my 996 TT is about to self detonate because I've been running it on 91 octane rather than 93 !!!!

Better go drain the tank and re-fill it with 93 right away - oops just remembered can't get 93 in California.

Better warn all the other TT drivers in California that their valve gear might be at risk due to low octane fuel ;-)

BTW

E-Klasse, what's with the K&N air filter mod ? Now that is a dangerous item to futz with - could be letting all sorts of over sized particles into the engine and could even be reducing your engines power ?

Not to mention inducting hot air from the engine compartment rather than cooler external stuff. I'm puzzled now as I can't see it in your pictures ?

Anyway, I've never really understood the attraction of K&N air cleaners, guess it complements the chrome wheels ;-)

Last edited by timdf; 07-29-2003 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:59 PM

98 ML320
Wink What Grade of Gas ....???

Simple rule of thumb:

If you can afford a luxury car/truck, you SHOULD/MUST
afford the cents-differential...

Or, am I missing something????? Otherwise drive a truck/car
that uses lower octane ...
Old 07-29-2003, 08:38 PM

The point of this thread, at least from my perspective,

is not about what grade of fuel makes most sense. Clearly anyone who afford $$$ for expensive SUV's or whatever won't be concerned about fuel costs etc.

Rather it's how ECU's work in general on ALL modern engines, not just ML's or Porsche.

Specifically how the knock sensors automatically adjust ignition timing to compensate for poor fuel quality, air, temp & pressure.

It's a mathematical fact that ECU's adjust timing for these reasons and there is no long term damage to the engine - even on hi compression engines - like my 996 TT which is recommended to use 93 but can only be fed 'poor quality' 91 octane here in California.

How different is that to running on ML on 89 instead of 91 or even 87 instead of 91 ?

All your doing is boosting the gas companies profits by using a higher octane than is strictly required :-)

Last edited by timdf; 07-29-2003 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:45 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: The point of this thread, at least from perspective,

like my 996 TT which is recommended to use 93 but can only be fed 'poor quality' 91 octane here in California.
Many Union 76 stations carry 100 octane.

www.76.com has a station locator but it's incomplete (more stations carry it than are listed).

For most street driving it doesn't really make sense to mix 91 and 100 to hit 93 but there is a noticeable difference at the track (+/- 5 mph at the end of long straights in addition to a lighter wallet), especially on hot days
Old 07-29-2003, 08:58 PM

Hi Pete, Thanks for reminding me about the 100 octane..

However for street use etc I'm not going to run around to fill up on 100 octane to reach 93 octane etc - it's just not worth it for normal use.

On the track would be a different matter all together....

Going by some of the comments in this thread, because I can afford a 996 TT I must / should fill it up with the 'correct' grade ;-)

Poppy**** !!
Old 07-29-2003, 09:06 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: Hi Pete, Thanks for reminding me about the 100 octane..

However for street use etc I'm not going to run around to fill up on 100 octane to reach 93 octane etc - it's just not worth it for normal use.
Yes, it's a hassle.

I did a few tanks using tuolene and achieved the same results but it turned out to be even more of a hassle considering the "toxic" nature of the stuff(rubber gloves, glasses), finding a paint supplier that would sell it (too many meth labs buying it up so they stopped stocking it), etc.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C300
Re: Oh NO!!!

BTW

E-Klasse, what's with the K&N air filter mod ? Now that is a dangerous item to futz with - could be letting all sorts of over sized particles into the engine and could even be reducing your engines power ?

Not to mention inducting hot air from the engine compartment rather than cooler external stuff. I'm puzzled now as I can't see it in your pictures ?

Anyway, I've never really understood the attraction of K&N air cleaners, guess it complements the chrome wheels ;-)
Your attempt at a personal attack is off the subject. I am sure that there is a discussion about K&N drop in filters elsewhere or are you just trying to change the subject.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:27 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: Re: Oh NO!!!

Originally posted by E-Klasse
Your attempt at a personal attack is off the subject. I am sure that there is a discussion about K&N drop in filters elsewhere or are you just trying to change the subject.
No, his question about the K&N goes directly to your credibilty, or lack thereof, with regards to your claims of valve damage with lower octane fuels.

K&N filters are snake oil and indeed can allow large particles to pass into your engine.

They are indeed a threat to your engine at worst, or just another useless mod at best, while the octane issue isn't a threat to your engine. (insert lameass smiley here)

Last edited by Some Pete Guy; 07-30-2003 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C300
Another country heard from...

Originally posted by Some Pete Guy
No, his question about the K&N goes directly to your credibilty, or lack thereof, with regards to your claims of valve damage with lower octane fuels.

K&N filters are snake oil and indeed can allow large particles to pass into your engine.

They are indeed a threat to your engine at worst, or just another useless mod at best, while the octane issue isn't a threat to your engine.

Wrong tread, once again. You are trying to divert the attention from engine destruction due using fuel that it was not designed for.

I have already said that it is your engine. If it makes you happy, go for it. You will just trade it in and it will be the next owners problem.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:54 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: Another country heard from...

Originally posted by E-Klasse

Wrong tread, once again. You are trying to divert the attention from engine destruction due using fuel that it was not designed for.

I have already said that it is your engine. If it makes you happy, go for it. You will just trade it in and it will be the next owners problem.
LOL. On topic, since it goes to your fundamental lack of understanding.

How am I, or anyone, trying to "divert attention" when your silliness vis-a-vis octane is mentioned in each post?

"engine destruction" ROTFLMAO!

Please don't educate yourself on this topic.

Your replies are too funny to miss!
Old 07-31-2003, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C300
Get a clue Petie

Pete, you havn't got a clue or an understanding, fundamental or otherwise. I find your posts pointless. I don't feel sorry for you because of your ignorance but for the next owner of your ML.

I can see how credible you are...

Last edited by E-Klasse; 07-31-2003 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
ok I think we got the point of gas and gas grades.