M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Exhaust Mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by STi_JL
i knew a guy that did a straight pipe for his ml 320 and the exasut come out from the middle like the mini coopers
Viktorious did straight pipes on his ML, you will know when a car is straightpiped... and center bumper exhaust on the MLs is I believe Remus... are you sure it wasnt a remus exhaust he had? That would explain the not so loud

Originally Posted by Stiggs
Good question. I called Midas. I'd like to use this local Midas because its so damn close. Is that wrong? LOL
I wouldnt go to Midas for exhuast work... thats just me though. There has to be an exhuast shop(not midas) in your area

Now when you say 2 inlet and 1 out... is that for DUAL exaust? or for mine also ?
I believe that design is for all engines...that muffler is where the two exhuast banks combine. They become one pipe out of the muffler... if a car has dual exhuast it is split behind the rear axle.

and i believe its 3inch if not 2.75inch
I believe its 3" myself

If you look at the first pic in post#2 you see there are two pipes going into the muffler and one pipe coming out the back. I guess thats the hard part.
that is correct... 2 in 1 out...
Old 02-24-2009, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 W163
stiggs. take a look under your car, and MAKE sure you check these infos okay!!

Which side is the inlet going in and which side is the outlet coming out...

For ex. the inlet in the pictures looks like the inlet is going in (dual) from the left self and the outlet is coming out from the MIDDLE...(thats the main thing for a after market exaust)
you have to see which side the inlet outlet is going from..

Also you need to know the size ofd the inlet dual pipes. and the single outlet pipe.. GEt a estimate.

i believe the inlet DUAL pipe should be smaller than the single outlet..
Old 02-24-2009, 05:31 PM

02 W163
55fanatic: I think the 2 inlets could be 2.5inch or smaller 2inch inlet and then 3 inch outlet...
I dont think he got a remus exaust, i honestly dont know.... i shoudl go check it.

But dont go to midaas, there not that great. go to a CUSTOM MUFFLER SHOP..
The ones where you can watch them fix it and tell them what to do....make sure you tell them to SEALL ALL HOLES... or else you would get a ugly sound
Old 02-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

stiggs. take a look under your car, and MAKE sure you check these infos okay!!

Which side is the inlet going in and which side is the outlet coming out...

For ex. the inlet in the pictures looks like the inlet is going in (dual) from the left self and the outlet is coming out from the MIDDLE...(thats the main thing for a after market exaust)
you have to see which side the inlet outlet is going from..

Also you need to know the size ofd the inlet dual pipes. and the single outlet pipe.. GEt a estimate.

i believe the inlet DUAL pipe should be smaller than the single outlet..
the mufflers are universal... all he needs is the size of inlet and outlet, an exhuast shop will bend the pipes to make it fit. even if they are smaller they can make it work too... the two inlets come from the front of the car, the outlet goes to the back of the car... stiggs knows me, and he knows I know the car inside and out like the back of my hand...
Old 02-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

55fanatic: I think the 2 inlets could be 2.5inch or smaller 2inch inlet and then 3 inch outlet...
I dont think he got a remus exaust, i honestly dont know.... i shoudl go check it.

But dont go to midaas, there not that great. go to a CUSTOM MUFFLER SHOP..
The ones where you can watch them fix it and tell them what to do....make sure you tell them to SEALL ALL HOLES... or else you would get a ugly sound
on the V8s its DEF NOT 2.5 inch... its a massive pipe 3"
Old 02-24-2009, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
... stiggs knows me, and he knows I know the car inside and out like the back of my hand...
Who are you and why are you stalking me?

I think I found a good muffler shop near the condo. They sound like they know what they are doing. I'm going over there tomorrow morning for a looksie and see what I need. No Midas for me so have no fear! I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:27 AM

02 W163
ya thats what im saying, V8 muffler are obviously different from v6.

but as i was saying. yes tehre are 2 inlet and one out.

the 2 inlets are connected to the LEFT SIDE OF THE MUFFLER as seen in the pic.
and the SINGLE Outlet is connected on the MIDDLE of the muffler.

Thats whats important also, as well as the size of the muffler, and the inlet outlet, which you should just go with 3 inch.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

ya thats what im saying, V8 muffler are obviously different from v6.

but as i was saying. yes tehre are 2 inlet and one out.

the 2 inlets are connected to the LEFT SIDE OF THE MUFFLER as seen in the pic.
and the SINGLE Outlet is connected on the MIDDLE of the muffler.

Thats whats important also, as well as the size of the muffler, and the inlet outlet, which you should just go with 3 inch.
V8 muffler, V6 muffler... same thing, seriously they are...hence why a v6 wont sound like a v8... a muffler is nothing but a can with several walls in the can... it is designed to push the exhuast gasses around the walls, which can modify the tone of sound the car itself puts out... a muffler never amplifies sound but depending on the lay out of the internal chamber it may limit the sound LESS... http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler3.htm a straight piped car is VERY VERY loud... Here is an example of an M3 no muffler... with cats, and resonators... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqVbtcDiRZk... stock M3s are SILENT compared to that

and the positioning of where the inlets and outlets really does not matter... a good exhaust shop should be running entirely new pipes anyways...
Old 02-25-2009, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
So I went to the independent muffler shop today. Guy seems to know what he's doing. He pulled up a schematic of the ML exhaust system right on his computer. I narrowed down the Flowmaster exhausts choices to the 50 series and the 70 series. The guy at the shop said the 50 series would cause alot of droning and can be really annoying at highway speeds. He said my wife/fiance or kids might not like it when she's in the car. The part number for the 50 series was #530513. The 70 series should have less droning but still have a nice deep tone to it, so I'm gonna go with that one. The 70 series part number is #524703. Both series make two inlet and one outlet. Even though the inlet pipes are closer together on the ML and further apart on the flowmaster muffler, the muffler guy was not too worried because he said we are cutting out the resonator and putting in new pipes. He said they will make it fit just fine. I was convinced so I have an appointment for March 11th. I'll try to take as many pics as possible while they are doing the work. I just hope they let me watch while they do it. giggity
Old 02-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

So I went to the independent muffler shop today. Guy seems to know what he's doing. He pulled up a schematic of the ML exhaust system right on his computer. I narrowed down the Flowmaster exhausts choices to the 50 series and the 70 series. The guy at the shop said the 50 series would cause alot of droning and can be really annoying at highway speeds. He said my wife/fiance or kids might not like it when she's in the car. The part number for the 50 series was #530513. The 70 series should have less droning but still have a nice deep tone to it, so I'm gonna go with that one. The 70 series part number is #524703. Both series make two inlet and one outlet. Even though the inlet pipes are closer together on the ML and further apart on the flowmaster muffler, the muffler guy was not too worried because he said we are cutting out the resonator and putting in new pipes. He said they will make it fit just fine. I was convinced so I have an appointment for March 11th. I'll try to take as many pics as possible while they are doing the work. I just hope they let me watch while they do it. giggity

Thanks Pete for all your information, I should have listened to you from the very begining... seriously what was I thinking when I was talking about going to Midas
fixed that post for you
Old 02-25-2009, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
fixed that post for you
Hey! I was desperate. Midas was close. Luckily this guy is even closer. Thanks Pete! Now I really owe you a shot!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:26 PM

02 W163
Nice, thanks for the part number, Btw, how big is the muffler compared to the stock one?
and how much is he chargin you around?

I check under my buddies ML that did the muffler coming out of the middle.

Looked under the car, and it was a 3 inch piping, and it had a muffler,\

The muffler was SO SMALL.... 2 inlet on the left side, and one outlet coming out form the middle...

But heres the thing, the guy that did his muffler, told me ther was 4 freaking resonator or something. id ont know if he knew what he was tlaking about.

But im really confuised../.. WHICH RESONATOR DO I DELETE.

if not, What are you doing to ur car stiggs?

are you doing muffler exchange and resonator delete?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 PM

02 W163
i looks at the 70 series, and the inlet is 2.25? is that too small?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
what would have to do to the 55 amg sounds or maybe even the X5 4,8
the 55 doesn't even sound good on the ML, too much restriction and still too muffled. The 55 and 500 engines pretty much put out the same sound, so it's really just about changing the exhaust. The ML55 the only difference is the AMG muffler has a bit more free flow.

I would get magnaflow mufflers, it sounds nice
Old 02-26-2009, 02:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
Thanks, ya im looking for a 4.8 rumble, not 3.0.
Ill try the resonator first, that should work well hopefully,
then ill try the magna flow if it doesnt work out...
but i had magnaflow for c coupe, it just sound tooo loud....

Ill hit up the muffler shop next week also stiggs lol

Record some pics and Videos...

take some pics while there working on it, i want to see how and what exactly i should change Thanks
bmw's have different engine designs, their cams yield a different rumble, no matter what, it will never be comparable to MB's even if they had the same mufflers systems. To get a good ML sound, just put magnaflow
Old 02-26-2009, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Nice, thanks for the part number, Btw, how big is the muffler compared to the stock one?
and how much is he chargin you around?

I check under my buddies ML that did the muffler coming out of the middle.

Looked under the car, and it was a 3 inch piping, and it had a muffler,\

The muffler was SO SMALL.... 2 inlet on the left side, and one outlet coming out form the middle...

But heres the thing, the guy that did his muffler, told me ther was 4 freaking resonator or something. id ont know if he knew what he was tlaking about.

But im really confuised../.. WHICH RESONATOR DO I DELETE.

if not, What are you doing to ur car stiggs?

are you doing muffler exchange and resonator delete?
The guy at the shop pulled up some diagram on his computer and it listed 5 cats and 1 resonator. I think theres an extra cat right before that resonator. The guy will cut out the resonator + muffler and leave the cats. Not sure about the pipe size. Maybe I'll call him and ask. Even so...I'm sure they will do something to make it fit.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:37 PM

2004 ML 500
Looking forward to seeing/hearing yours when its all done. Hopefully its the sound I'm looking for, because I really want to get mine done similarly to yours!
Old 03-02-2009, 01:28 AM

02 W163
too much stuff to do for a simple exahust lol..
5 cats? 1 muffler one resonator?
I can guarentee you would lose 200 pounds + after the exaust mods
Old 03-02-2009, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
I;m leaving in all the cats....just removing the resonator and changing the muffler. Should shed some pounds still. Maybe get better gas milage. LOL
Old 03-03-2009, 01:02 AM

02 W163
ya, i have a buddy that works at the muffler shop, he said the 70 series may be just useless in sound. But dont take my word.
Im not a fan of the rumble sound either, but if im gonna change the muffler, i still want to get some sound out.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

too much stuff to do for a simple exahust lol..
5 cats? 1 muffler one resonator?
I can guarentee you would lose 200 pounds + after the exaust mods
hmmm NO... he would be lucky to lose 50 pounds...
Old 03-05-2009, 06:21 PM

2000 ML55 (parted out), 92 1jz SC300, 92 Sentra (DD), 05 Cadillac SRX
I could sell you a ML55 engine, transmission, mcu and exhaust for $4500 Then you could have the power and sound

I am parting out my ml55 if you want dual exhaust...
Old 03-05-2009, 10:34 PM

2004 ML 500
Originally Posted by jefferino
I could sell you a ML55 engine, transmission, mcu and exhaust for $4500 Then you could have the power and sound

how much for the exhaust?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55

I'm just looking to spend about $200. I'll see how the 70 series works out for now. If I"m not happy then I'll swap it out for a different one.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

what color? What condition is your drivers seat? I might want some parts!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Mods