M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

What is considered a wear item for warranty purposes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E63S AMG & 2013 GLK350
What is considered a wear item for warranty purposes?

I have an 05 ML500 thats in the dealer for a few things including power steering leak, trans leak, REST mode not staying hot, and a check engine light. The truck has 50K miles and is under factory extended warranty till Oct 2011. They call me today and tell me the check engine light is on due to a small leak in an EVAP system line between the charcoal canister and the gas tank, and that this line is considered a wear item and is not covered under warranty. I told them to fix it, at a cost of $700 - but it just seems funny that a line in the evap system is considered a wear item.

Anybody have any similar experiences?

Steve
Old 02-19-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML320, 2010 Ford F150
I have a 99 ML430 with 192,000 miles on it. I've replaced no EVAP line. Tell them to explain to you, in simple terms, WHY this is considered a 'wear' item. What is there to 'wear'? It's not a moving part. So, they'd refuse to stand behind your transmission, as well, if it failed, since it's a wear item?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:24 AM

02 W163
Mercedes always try to rip you off MANY MANY MANY TIME..
it has no qualitly service, no respect AFTER you buy the car, and no money no talk.

I remember this was all over the forum, where mercedes dealship had charged some guy to replace the WHOLE SUNROOF which cost over 1000dollars, because the roof wont open, or close.

And guess what.... the owner took the car to a private mechanic, and got it done for free.
WHY? because there was a small rock stuck and blocking the roof from opening or closing.

Make sure you ask for everything. make sure you blame them, blame them for everything trust me.

I took my car for a simply oild change. and the started to work on my car for other prolems and charged ME AFTER wards for the extra partrs and labour, that i was not notified about.
I then basically B**CH him out so bad, and demanded the manager to take out the hidden fees.

I work at a Nissan dealers ship, and honestly, MERCEDES COVER EVERYTHING. The only thing they have to do is announce it to MB HEADQUARTERS that " we have a customer that is under warrenty and this part of the car needs to be replaced, and we need you to cover it." all the warrenty is up to the headquarters, and if they say no, then no.
but Mercedes dealership dont decide whether its covered or not. (unless its really your fault like brakes ect) they simply have a guy that calls the head quarters and Argues, complains, explain, ect to them that the headquarters should cover it.

The dealership basically claims for there warrenties.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:30 AM

The problem with warranty work is that MB only pays 60 to 70% of the actual charge. So, the dealerships put their least experienced on your car. Training of sorts.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by cmitch
The problem with warranty work is that MB only pays 60 to 70% of the actual charge. So, the dealerships put their least experienced on your car. Training of sorts.
This is absolutly not true. MB pays almost retail on labor and replaces the parts used from dealer inventory at no charge. As for the quality of the mechanics, its the luck of the draw as to who works on your car.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:22 PM

2015 E63S AMG & 2013 GLK350
Originally Posted by STi_JL
The only thing they have to do is announce it to MB HEADQUARTERS that " we have a customer that is under warrenty and this part of the car needs to be replaced, and we need you to cover it." all the warrenty is up to the headquarters, and if they say no, then no.
but Mercedes dealership dont decide whether its covered or not. (unless its really your fault like brakes ect) they simply have a guy that calls the head quarters and Argues, complains, explain, ect to them that the headquarters should cover it.
Thats how I feel too but they basicly said that if it is not listed in the warranty book then it is not covered and the only lines listed are metal lines, therefore plastic lines are not covered and then considered a wear item. This all sounds like BS to me but it's done now and the truck is ready so I'll see what the advisor says when I pick it up on Monday. I do feel they should at least try (or make me think they tried) to see if they could get it covered.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by sosh
This is absolutly not true. MB pays almost retail on labor and replaces the parts used from dealer inventory at no charge. As for the quality of the mechanics, its the luck of the draw as to who works on your car.
Then there seems to be a conflict in what I was told by a former service man, who used to work with a MB advisor, and what you are maintaining. Am I correct that you are a SA? If so, then you should know. This is what I was told:
All campaign recall repairs are paid at 100% with parts supplied.
Warranty work is paid based on several factors (none of which were explained to me), but, generally anywhere from 60% to 70% of 'going' rate with parts supplied at 100% replacement. He mentioned that warranty work was where they tended to put their 'greenies' because their pay rate wasn't up to the more experienced service. He also mentioned that, regardless of the REASON the dealership performed a 'warranty' repair, they would NOT pay the dealership at all if they felt the repair was questionable. That would explain why MB is so hardnosed when it comes to these kind of things.
Sosh, I'm not calling you a liar, but you called me one. So, I feel compelled to explain to you where I got my information from. We all share information whether it be flawed or accurate. I can't help it if I was misled.

I do appreciate you for setting the record straight, though I wished you would do it with a wee bit more tact, next time.

Last edited by cmitch; 02-20-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:28 AM

02 W163
i think its so freaking ridiculous that a benz dealership is trying to sell a used car that has problems, what were they thinking?

its like saying, Ill buy a used benz for 500 that doesnt start, and ill sell it for 10000 without fixing it lol
Old 06-06-2009, 02:34 AM

2000 ML55/Kleeman Headers
reply to original post

call Mercedes directly and complain to cust service. Most times it is the dealerships discretion to replace or warranty. Remember they are out to make money and are human. To me a faulty hose is a faulty hose and has nothing to do with wear. IF the hose wore then it was a faulty design especially at 50k mile on a benz or it was faulty hose. CUST SERVICE IS FAR BETTER AT LISTENING TO YOU imo. But then again this is my experience for 15yr of Benz ownership.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:36 AM

2000 ML55/Kleeman Headers
ADVISOR=CLOSER