M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

98 ML320 starting problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2009 | 04:16 AM

98 ML320
98 ML320 starting problem

I occasionally have a problem starting my 98 ML320 on cold mornings. This is my first winter with the vehicle (purchased last summer). Sometimes on cold (<40F) mornings, when I turn the key, one of two odd behaviors occur: (1) nothing happens (starter doesn't turn, but radio etc. seem to work), or (2) the engine seems to start and then runs for about half a second before dying. So far, it has always started on the second or third attempt, but it spooks me a little, especially when traveling. My theories: (a) battery is on the verge of dying (it's over 3 yrs old); (b) fuel pump problem and/or water in the fuel line; (c) starter problem; (d) key module problem (I've read that the drive authorization logic can fail); (e) random electrical gremlins. Anyone have any thoughts on the source of this problem (and how to fix it)? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2009 | 05:34 AM

02 W163
Go to a mechanic or someone you know that has this device, that checks the Battery life.. they simply do a quick test on the battery and see how long much power or life the battery has....battery are expensive and you should always check to see if you need to change it or not....usually cold area battery are changed more often.

It may be fuel pump... and always alternator or starter..
I had past experience with my Ml dying on the road due to alternator. it only runs for a block and dies.