M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Is there a separate amp (Bose sound system)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 ML320
Is there a separate amp (Bose sound system)?

I recently purchased a 98 ML320 with the Bose premium sound system (factory installed) which I'm considering replacing. I can't tell if the original system has a separate amp or not -- I haven't seen one anywhere. Can anyone tell me if there is a separate amp, and if so, where it's located? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:21 PM

02 W163
yes, there is one for non bose system also.

I believe bose maybe under the seat????? not sure
if not then it should be in the trunk
Old 02-28-2009, 08:42 PM

2004 ML 500
i believe the factory amp is behind the dash. I know when I got my subs installed that they mentioned something about being lucky that they didn't have to go to the amp because its somewhere in the dash. Don't take my word for it though
Old 02-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Bose amp is in the dash, behind the drivers side cup holder... you can interface into it pretty easily... In any case you dont really need to worry about it.

If you want to just change the deck you can wire up an aftermarket radio to use the factory amp just fine. Just make sure to purchase something with front and rear RCA pre outs. If you want to add a sub you will want to find something with all three sets of outputs then. If you want to change out all the speakers then you are going to want to rewire the car then... Let us know what you are trying to do and I can guide you through it
Old 03-04-2009, 01:04 AM

98 ML320
Thanks for the info. My plan is to replace the factory radio with one that has integrated iPod functionality and an aux input for XM. I already have the replacement radio (purchased for my previous vehicle but never installed); unfortunately, it doesn't have pre-outs for the main speakers. So... I assume I'll have to remove the Bose amp, or at least bypass it.

Two questions:
(1) Is there anything special about the speakers that would preclude driving them directly with the new radio?
(2) How much of an ordeal is it to get to the amp? Will removing the lower panel of the dash provide adequate access? It looks like removing that panel may not be too bad -- as far as I can tell, just remove a few screws (including those in the glove compartment and behind the small panels beside the steering wheel). Is there more to it than that?

I found a harness adapter (70-1786) on Amazon. It has RCA jacks for the speaker connections, but I assume I can just remove the jacks and splice the wires. I also found an antenna adapter online. I think that should be all I need (not installing a sub at this point).

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-04-2009, 04:16 AM

02 ML320 Sport, 04 350z,06 E350 4matic
Looking to rewire the truck I guess

Originally Posted by 55fanatic
Bose amp is in the dash, behind the drivers side cup holder... you can interface into it pretty easily... In any case you dont really need to worry about it.

If you want to just change the deck you can wire up an aftermarket radio to use the factory amp just fine. Just make sure to purchase something with front and rear RCA pre outs. If you want to add a sub you will want to find something with all three sets of outputs then. If you want to change out all the speakers then you are going to want to rewire the car then... Let us know what you are trying to do and I can guide you through it
I have a 2002 ML320 with bose no ?DVD. I need to replace all the speakers. Not replacing head unit at this time and not waiting to replace head unit. I am willing to get a 4 way amp if necessarry. What steps do I need to take to run the new speakers (Infinity 6020s reference) from the OEM headunit?
Old 03-30-2013, 11:01 PM

2001 Ml 320
Originally Posted by 55fanatic

Hi 55fanatic

When wiring in a new HU does it matter about OHM output on HU with stock amp?

I have a April 2001 ML320 with a Audio 10 CD

Cheers
Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 ML320, 2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Glenn Polner
Hi 55fanatic

When wiring in a new HU does it matter about OHM output on HU with stock amp?

I have a April 2001 ML320 with a Audio 10 CD

Cheers
This thread is close to 4 years old Not sure if they will respond.

Since you will be using Pre-Amp outs...Ohms won't matter. You want a 4V pre-amp out if possible. My Pioneer is 2.2V and the sound is MUCH lower than stock.

If replacing your speakers...different story - Ohms matter.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:32 PM

2001 Ml 320
Originally Posted by boardboy330
This thread is close to 4 years old Not sure if they will respond.

Since you will be using Pre-Amp outs...Ohms won't matter. You want a 4V pre-amp out if possible. My Pioneer is 2.2V and the sound is MUCH lower than stock.

If replacing your speakers...different story - Ohms matter.
Thanks Mate,

the standard is good but over the what seems like good reception clarity and no aux plugin lol,

once again appreciate the reply