M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

How to Change battery on ML 320

Old 03-16-2009, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320 - 2000 Model Petrol
How to Change battery on ML 320

Hi Everyone,

I want to change the battery on my ML 320, I have unlocked the clamp, but I dont know how to take the battery out as it is hindered with the steel strip whicg locks the battery to the chassis of the car.

Please help

Cheers
Vj
Old 03-19-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
I thought, MB roadside would do it at no cost....

They just did mine...it requires removal of the hood struts for easier access to the battery compartment. I would suggest, let MB roadside take care of it..
Old 03-23-2009, 05:52 PM

ML320 - 2000 Model Petrol
I have changed the battery of ML 320.
The process goes like this.
Depress the plastic lock on the battery, and remove it from the lock position
Depress the steel stip it will come off the chasis, you might have to remove by putting your hand beside the battery to release from the hinge/hold.
Then you take off the hoses fronm the side of the battery compartment, they are just locked on with clips.
The you remove the plastic covering on the edges of battery compartment which is just clipped on.

Then you have to unscrew the bolt 12 mm on the righ side on the outer base of the battery.

Then you will see that the battery walls/battery compartment is easly movable. On the bolt side of the battery compartment, the battery sheeting is hooked into the battery base so, you need to pick your battery compartment from left side slide a bit towards left side.

You will notice the movement is very smooth and easy.

Now disconnect your positive first and secure with plastic bag so that it does not touches the chasis, similarly do the same for negative side, and secure it with plastic bag.

move the both positive and negative lease away from terminals.

Now lift he battery casing out, by lifting from left side. Go half up nad then put ur hand on the righ side to lift it all the way out.

Now you can see battery sitting with no obstruction.

Remove and replace with new battery. Make sure you connect the positive first and negative later. Repeat the whole prosess with last instruction first and repaat. the battery will be secured in place.

Very Important: before you start changing battery remove the key from ignition. once you have changed it then the ESP light will come on. sit in side the car start engine and move your staring all the way to left and then to right this ESP warning will go.

This way you have changed batery on your own. In australia, the battery change will cost you minimum $100 as it take half to 45 minutes to change the batterty.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:09 PM

ML320 auto 1999
changing a batterey on ML320

many thanks job done.....
Old 01-15-2014, 02:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 ML55,2007 ML63
CKV, in the future always remove the negative first then positive. When connecting positive first then negative. This sequence eliminates sparks/surges