M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML Changing OIL BRAKE PADS/ROTORS DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2003 | 05:17 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
ML Changing OIL BRAKE PADS/ROTORS DIY

Hey im sorry i know this has been gone over before my question just wasnt fully answered so i needed to ask this.

Ok so i want to change my own oil my uncles good at this and this would be my first time so he would guide me through. If it was an old honda i probably wouldnt have any question but this ML seems a bit diffrent so here goes.
1. Getting the oil out, i heard you should use a pump but we dont have access to a good one so were going to drain it and then pump any excess oil out i know you need to cover a certain area from getting sprayed with oil when it drains im going to look at the cap and place one accordingly do you guys know where this is or have any extra tips on getting the oil out.
2. Replacing the filter, this is a lot diffrent from what ive seen on most Fords and such. You leave the filter holder (or whatever its called) in and replace the filters inside of the holder? Im going to order the filters soon and ill probably realize it when i look at then but right now im kinda confused.
3. What type of oil!? I know this sounds really basic but ive read diffrent replys. I live in Massachusetts it drops down to 10 degrees at night so i have to cold start in the morning (does that make a diffrence in oil selection). So i was thinking of using 0-30W Mobil Synthetic. Is that good? Whats the best? And should i use diffrent during the warm/hot months?

Ok About the brakes and rotors. Im going to have my uncle help me with this too. Ive read on the Ml they are pretty easy to replace, i already have the rotors i just need to get the pads. So onto the questions....
1. Whats up with the sensors? Do you need one per pad on each wheel? The guy i was buying the pads from said you need one sensor for the front and one for the back. any ideas?
2. Is this hard? I hope its not im not too familar with this my uncle definetly knows his stuff but he hasnt worked on too many Mercedes's. Is something i should i have a mechanic do to make sure its done completely right

Other DIY projects: I have a 99 Ml320 with 50k on it. Anything i should check or retighten? I just bought this car a bit ago and im just starting to learn more, i cant wait to be able to do this on my own.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 02-09-2003 | 08:18 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: ML Changing OIL BRAKE PADS/ROTORS DIY

Originally posted by buddhatikigod
1. Whats up with the sensors? Do you need one per pad on each wheel? The guy i was buying the pads from said you need one sensor for the front and one for the back. any ideas?
Already answered, see this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...832#post273832

Originally posted by buddhatikigod
2. Is this hard? I hope its not im not too familar with this my uncle definetly knows his stuff but he hasnt worked on too many Mercedes's. Is something i should i have a mechanic do to make sure its done completely right
If you're the least bit worried, have amechanic do the work.

Many people find it to be quite easy:

DIY brake info
Old 02-09-2003 | 08:35 PM

ML
For the oil change, the procedure is shown here using the E-Class as example. The part numbers for the ML may be different, but the procedure is same. Since you're taking the oil out the drain plug, use a paper/plastic/cardboard funnel to divert the oil from areas where it's not supposed to splash. One method is to cut out an opening at the bottom of an empty windshield washer fluid container, and use that as a funnel. Oil type for your year should be in the manual. I have a MY02 and the oil is Mobil-1, 0W40.

BTW, at 50K and less than 4yrs, this should be warranty work - the last one. Or are you just past 50K. If less than 50K, and FSS shows 1000 miles or less left to go, then you're eligible for free regular maintenence, albeit, your last one.
Old 02-10-2003 | 03:44 AM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
"BTW, at 50K and less than 4yrs, this should be warranty work - the last one. Or are you just past 50K. If less than 50K, and FSS shows 1000 miles or less left to go, then you're eligible for free regular maintenence, albeit, your last one."

I bought the extended warranty. I had an oil change done already once. They charged me for it, your saying they shouldnt have? All my oil changes are covered while under warranty? Im sorry i didnt fully read mine, i knew they gave you some oil changes i just didnt know if i was in that group i never thought i was.
Thanks,
Steve
BTW Wouldnt the MB Techs know that my warranty covers it, condsidering i bought the car there?
Old 02-10-2003 | 10:05 AM

ML
Yes, in the US (not true for Canada), the basic warranty is 4yrs/50K and that covers EVERYTHING except for wear items - brakes, wipers (covered first year), tires, etc. Since this is your 4th year, if you are still under 50K the regular maintenance should be free, no charge. The xtended warranty is usually up to an additional 3yrs/100K. If purchaswed through MB, the maintenance coverage is same as above. Otherwise, it may depend on who manages the plan. And yes, your service advisor should know.
Old 02-10-2003 | 12:48 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
"Yes, in the US (not true for Canada), the basic warranty is 4yrs/50K and that covers EVERYTHING except for wear items - brakes, wipers (covered first year), tires, etc. Since this is your 4th year, if you are still under 50K the regular maintenance should be free, no charge. The xtended warranty is usually up to an additional 3yrs/100K. If purchaswed through MB, the maintenance coverage is same as above. Otherwise, it may depend on who manages the plan. And yes, your service advisor should know."

I bought an extended warranty im trying to go over it now. I paid 1000 for it. Imp retty sure its the extra year 100k miles one. Does that make sense for the price?
-Steve

I bought the car used with 42k onit
Old 02-10-2003 | 04:49 PM

98 ml320
dumb question

sorry for what may be a dumb question.
can u still get extended after 50k warranty expires?

plus i dont get why they sell brake pad sets with just one sensor for rear and one for back if u need 2 each.

thanks,

jj
Old 02-10-2003 | 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Darkmann, u keep forgetting that included maintenance started in 2000, i believe his is a 99.
Old 02-10-2003 | 11:12 PM

ML
Originally posted by AlBoston
Darkmann, u keep forgetting that included maintenance started in 2000, i believe his is a 99.
Al, you are absolutely correct. I keep forgetting that. JayJay, forget everything I just told you about free maintenance. That's only valid for MY2K+ trucks. Man, sorry to get you all revved up. I apologize for overlooking one very important fact. Thanks Al.
Old 02-11-2003 | 01:40 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
"Al, you are absolutely correct. I keep forgetting that. JayJay, forget everything I just told you about free maintenance. That's only valid for MY2K+ trucks. Man, sorry to get you all revved up. I apologize for overlooking one very important fact. Thanks Al."

why is it only included in 2000 and up? Did they raise the price for these cars? I know my car is on the FSS system and they said it was using synthetic ever since it came around. So i dont know... i havnt gone into the dealer yet.
-Steve