M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

new headlights??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2003 | 01:20 AM

'98 ML 320
Question new headlights??

ive got a 98 ML320 and i was wondering what my options would be if i wanted to upgrade the headlights. how much would new headlights, maybe from a newer model or however its done, cost? what are the differences in the 98 and 2002 or 2003 headlights as far as performance and looks? anyone with pics of the new headlights, if you could, please post them... thanks
Old 02-10-2003 | 03:40 AM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
You have a bunch of options....
1. Upgrade to the new look headlights on 02s and up with the cleared out Altezza look. Now if you do this you can either stay with halogen or go with the expensive bright flashy HID $500 for the halogens and around 1000-1300 for the HIDS. The halogens are really easy to install just make sure they come with the pig tail adapter or youll run into some problems.

2. The europe spec lights, made by Mercedes but some kinda european Bi-Xenon specifications. Im not too sure on these, i think they look the same as the new style lights but might be brighter???

As far as performance youll notice a huge increase in horse power once you put the new lights in about 10hp gain from the halogens and 25-40 from the Xenons
The halogens are a bit brighter then the old halogen setup and the HIDS are as bright as....most HIDS
Old 02-10-2003 | 06:33 PM

1999 ML430
Your options are......

as mentioned in the previous post. Halogens or Bi-Xenons. The place to get them from is Performance Products. They include the adapters so they will work. Without the adapters all you will have is high beams. Call Richard at 1-800-853-6360. The Halogens are around $478 and the Bi-Xenons a little over $1300. Install is plug and play and takes no more than 20 minutes.
Old 02-10-2003 | 07:32 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
"as mentioned in the previous post. Halogens or Bi-Xenons. The place to get them from is Performance Products. They include the adapters so they will work. Without the adapters all you will have is high beams. Call Richard at 1-800-853-6360. The Halogens are around $478 and the Bi-Xenons a little over $1300. Install is plug and play and takes no more than 20 minutes."

About the included adapters. MAKE SURE THEY INCLUDE THEM! I bought the halogen set from them and they didnt have the adapter. I didnt know any better and i brought the lights into the Stealership when i was geting my B service done. I asked them to install them. They installed the lights and realized after that the high beam didnt work. They took them out and still charged me the 90 bucks.
I thought the lights were broken i had no idea adapters were needed so i sent the lights back with a copy of the reciept from the stealership and a copy of the S&H charge for sending the lights back. Performance Products said they would not reimburse me for the install because the Mb techs shouldve known it wouldnt work its there fault the rep said. Well of course the stealership wont acknoledge fault so i take the loss.

Just venting.
-Steve