M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Brake Noise After Rotor and Pad Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 ML320
Brake Noise After Rotor and Pad Change

Great forum, after a 4+ year love/hate relationship with my ML320, I'm glad to join in!

A recent problem has brought me to the brink of despair, and I am curious if anybody else has encountered it or could help me diagnose the possible cause...

Had my local MB dealer perform a rear rotor/pad replacement at 45,000 miles at their urging (I know that's early for the rotors, but that's another story). Ever since this service, there is knocking sound eminating only from the right rear wheel when tapping the brakes while backing up (recreated every time I back into the garage).

I've had the truck back to the dealer twice for this problem. While they acknowledge hearing the sound, they cannot find anything out of the ordinary, and assure me that the brakes are installed to specs and that no unsafe condition is present.

I would greatly appreciate any input.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
My suggestion is to take this problem to another MB dealer. Make sure you bring the receipt of the brake replacement. If any fix needs to be done, the dealer can charge straing from the original dealer where you did the brake job.
Old 02-14-2003, 08:58 AM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
Fricking theives ALL OF THOSE MB TECHS THEIVES!!!!
Old 02-19-2003, 08:55 PM

'99 ML320
I finally got an answer! I decided to give an independent shop a try, and they were able to pinpoint the problem within minutes!

It turns out that the new brake pads (and/or backing plate, I'm not 100% sure on the tech details) has more play than is typical (function of manufcaturing tolerances). This play is a non-issue for forward braking, as the brake pad is pushed in the forward-braking direction by the retention spring; however, in backwards-braking situations, the excess play has to be taken up at the beginning of each brake engagement, resulting in a knocking sound. It's not a safety issue, but a mere annoyance that should disappear with the next set of brake pads. This I can live with and all is right in the world again - at least as it pertains to my ML. Why couldn't MB make what in hindsight appears to be a straight-forward diagnosis?

The place that came through for me is Oldwick Village Garage (oldwickvillage@earthlink.net). If you're looking for a reliable shop in the Morris/Hunterdon county area of NJ, I would strongly recommend them.

Last edited by tk14; 02-20-2003 at 09:43 AM.