M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

So I took the plunge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML430, Audi A8L 4.2L, E92 M3, CLS 63
So I took the plunge

on a 2000 ML430, against everyone's advice, and even some of my own better judgment, and I'm loving it so far. Looking forward to testing this thing off-road and tastefully modding it. I bought the car from a WWE Diva (who will remain nameless), she both neglected the car by not driving it much and also spent a lot of money to maintain it (most recalls she paid for herself because she didn't know there were TSB's on them-go figure), and now I'm hopefully going to reap the benefits of all of that. Got a great price, couldn't pass it up, now enjoying all of it's little quirks...like the gas gauge needle and it's random positions even after being filled up
Also, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the ebay projector halogen headlights, and if anyone has successfully used said headlights and upgraded to a HID system (with ballasts etc), I know projector lenses differ from halogen to xenon, any advice on how to proceed is greatly appreciated!
And I would like to thank Tim and Azinn for all of their help, they seem to be the active ML vets round these parts, and I hope to be one as well
Old 08-06-2009, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Welcome to club !
Now let the mods and fixes start :-)

The fuel gauge issue is a known problem - search the other Benz forum for the fix, involves a new sender unit and pump assy as I recall. Might also be an opportunity to change the fuel filters and fuels lines if they've not already been replaced / upgraded.

Definitely find out about the PAS hose recall.

Tim.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:06 PM

Hey Tim, thanks again. As far as OEM and aftermarket parts for these cars, do you have any recommendations on where I can get off-road (bull guard, tail light guards etc) and on-road parts? Thanks again, you're the man, man.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:46 PM

2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Originally Posted by monizzle
on a 2000 ML430, against everyone's advice, and even some of my own better judgment, and I'm loving it so far. Looking forward to testing this thing off-road and tastefully modding it. I bought the car from a WWE Diva (who will remain nameless), she both neglected the car by not driving it much and also spent a lot of money to maintain it (most recalls she paid for herself because she didn't know there were TSB's on them-go figure), and now I'm hopefully going to reap the benefits of all of that. Got a great price, couldn't pass it up, now enjoying all of it's little quirks...like the gas gauge needle and it's random positions even after being filled up
Also, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the ebay projector halogen headlights, and if anyone has successfully used said headlights and upgraded to a HID system (with ballasts etc), I know projector lenses differ from halogen to xenon, any advice on how to proceed is greatly appreciated!
And I would like to thank Tim and Azinn for all of their help, they seem to be the active ML vets round these parts, and I hope to be one as well
Since your now an owner, you might want to also check out a couple other ML Forums on the net - http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/ & http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...splay.php?f=17
Old 08-06-2009, 05:55 PM

great thanks again guys! a couple of things, do either of you guys have the navi CD? also, looking for a good random parts bin for the smaller parts like side view mirror switches etc.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:03 AM

2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Originally Posted by monizzle
great thanks again guys! a couple of things, do either of you guys have the navi CD? also, looking for a good random parts bin for the smaller parts like side view mirror switches etc.
Sorry....................... sold my ML back in May.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:44 PM

2001 ML320....resident of repair city / '05 BMW 645Ci....fun times...
Welcome, I actually did the headlight mod but the aftermarket projectors I used were the ones that have the cold cathode or CCFL ring to resemble that of the BMW Halo projector. After a year and some change, they ended up failing and caused some electrical issues with my vehicle. I ended up upgrading to a plug and play HID kit with aqua blue lighting. They look awesome but they had to tap my wiring harness directly because the pin out was slightly different on the projectors I had and for whatever reason was only lighting one headlight at a time. I plan on purchasing another pair but without the CCFL ring (OEM that was used for 2002 and up models).
Old 08-09-2009, 02:08 AM

2007 E-350
Originally Posted by prospect500
I actually did the headlight mod but the aftermarket projectors I used were the ones that have the cold cathode or CCFL ring to resemble that of the BMW Halo projector... I plan on purchasing another pair but without the CCFL ring (OEM that was used for 2002 and up models).
I am in the market for a set of HID headlights too. I was thinking of purchasing a projector set from ebay and adding the HID light kit to it. I just am hesitant as I'm not sure what the quality on some of these aftermarket items are.

If you have experience with a good quality set of headlights at decent price, please let me know.

Thanks!