M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Advice for sudden power steering loss

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2003 | 03:50 PM

2000 ML320, 2003 C240
Advice for sudden power steering loss

After owning my 2000 ML320 for almost 3 years, suddenly I lost my power steering. My MB dealer replaced the clamps and bleed the system, but now there was this short and strange noise sometimes while turning left at full lock. Anyway 4 months later, I lose my power steering again. This time my MB dealer said that besides a new updated clamp, Mercedes Benz also recommends the replacement of the hose to an updated one. I also had them replace my power steering pump, since this has happened twice and not good to run the PS pump without any fliud, which is what I did to get it home and to the shop. Now my ML runs great without that annoying noise at full lock. If you are having this problem, do what I did and insist on a new pump. You wouldn't want this to happen while your on the freeway doing 70 mph.

Randy
2000 ML320 Brilliant Silver, 2003 C240 Alabaster White, 1992 190E 2.3 White
Old 03-20-2003 | 10:45 AM

NHTSA is investigating this matter

very dangerous for MB not to issue a re-call. bmw has recalled 40,000 X5's but MB is too stupid. Do they just want a few people to die then be hit will litigation? MB are morons.

this happened to me but i had no choice but to pay for the fix because i brought my 2000 ml320 to UK. UK MB is worse than MBUSA.
Old 03-20-2003 | 10:50 AM

ML
Re: NHTSA is investigating this matter

Originally posted by UK320
...Do they just want a few people to die then be hit will litigation? MB are morons. ...
C'Mon now, loosing pwer steering boost at freeway speeds will not kill you. The "power" is power steering is simply an "assist". That means that without the boost, the vehicle is still safely steerable, albeit hard at very low speeds. At highway speeds, you'll be able to safely steer the vehicle out of traffic.
Old 03-20-2003 | 10:55 AM

my point is that - we should not expect this type of faults on a benz and if there is a common issue with this - they need to take care of it. i have lost confidence in benz. this week- my front driver's side window locked up- therefore i cannot put the window back up. benz dealers around the london area said they will charge $250 for rescue team to fix it - or i can wait for 4wks and get it serviced. this is bollocks.
Old 03-20-2003 | 10:57 AM

btw- forgot to add- the day i was having the issues with the windows (still not fixed) and getting the terrible treatment from benz, i got called by benz sales cos they wanted to know i was interested in buying the new c-class. i told him to take his stupid c-class and shove it up his ....!
Old 03-20-2003 | 01:48 PM

ML
Originally posted by UK320
my point is that - we should not expect this type of faults on a benz and if there is a common issue with this - they need to take care of it. i have lost confidence in benz. this week- my front driver's side window locked up- therefore i cannot put the window back up. benz dealers around the london area said they will charge $250 for rescue team to fix it - or i can wait for 4wks and get it serviced. this is bollocks.
Agreed. However, I haven't quite lost confidence in them yet but the approach that MB has taken to resolving ML issues is anemic. I find it hard to blame higher ups in the organization. I believe it's the mid-level people who seem to have a chip on their shoulders. Personally I have had a very good relationship with my MB service people and thanks, so far I haven't had to take any complaints past my service advisor.

I also think that with the new ML due in a couple of years and sales of the current ML going very well, MB has no incentive to concentrate lots of effort on issues regarding the current model - not a good plan.