M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

limp mode after full Throttle driving.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:15 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
limp mode after full Throttle driving.

Need help figuring this one out...
2000 ML55. 149K miles.
When I get on Full throttle the truck will take off quick like normal but after I release the throttle the truck goes into a limp mode. There will be a big delay in throttle response almost seems like the truck dont want to move. I call it the "limp mode"

The throttle response will go back to normal when I shut down the engine and restart it. Like a reboot. Sux that Im afraid to go Wide Open Throttle now.

I changed new plugs and wires and didnt make a difference. I even clean the MAF sensor and Air filter. didnt cure the problem.

Last thing the most trouble and expensive to try is O2 sensors.

Any ideas?

list of my other problems not relating to this.

-Stability control is pitching the car at speed.
Yaw rate sensor may be bad?

-Power steering rack leaking. / need alignment.

-windshield washer pump not working

-Gas Gauge show empty when full.

-Change rear shocks.

-Change Tires.

-Change Headlight bulbs.

There goes my X-mas bonus.

Last edited by fkong777; 12-29-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by fkong777
Need help figuring this one out...
2000 ML55. 149K miles.
When I get on Full throttle the truck will take off quick like normal but after I release the throttle the truck goes into a limp mode. There will be a big delay in throttle response almost seems like the truck dont want to move. I call it the "limp mode"

The throttle response will go back to normal when I shut down the engine and restart it. Like a reboot. Sux that Im afraid to go Wide Open Throttle now.

I changed new plugs and wires and didnt make a difference. I even clean the MAF sensor and Air filter. didnt cure the problem.

Last thing the most trouble and expensive to try is O2 sensors.

Any ideas?

list of my other problems not relating to this.

-Stability control is pitching the car at speed.
Yaw rate sensor may be bad?

-Change rear shocks.

-Change Tires.

-Change Headlight bulbs.

There goes my X-mas bonus.
mine used to do this... it stopped doing it after I installed a cone intake filter... randomly...

some solutions on your other problems too...

This should have 2 active recalls on it... check with your dealer...

common problem... sometimes goes away on its own

-Change rear shocks.
good luck, dont go with H&R sport springs... OEM shocks come with springs mounted

-Change Tires.
Not sure if they're still around, I found a set of continental cross contacts on close out pretty cheap, around $120 a tire in OEM size

-Change Headlight bulbs.
Not sure if you bought these yet... I am running a set of bulbs from khoalty.com that I picked up for cheap in my M3 and they are flawless...

-There goes my X-mas bonus.
If there is anything left you can send it to me
Old 01-08-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01 ML55, 91 Supra Turbo, 05 Audi S4
[QUOTE=fkong777;3873648]Need help figuring this one out...
2000 ML55. 149K miles.

THROTTLE ACTUATOR, Happened to me last year WHILE DRIVING ON I-95, check for code it should throw one, after replaced with new one it never happend again.

CHECK FOR RECALL FROM MB...

CHECK RELAY NEAR THE FUSE BOX FOR CORRISION...

MINE DID THIS FOR TWO YEARS AND NOW IT WORKS PERFECTLY,...GO FIGURE!

-Change rear shocks.
OEM REARS ARE EXPENSIVE, GO BILSTIENS AND LIKE 55FAN SAID DON'T GO HR SPRINGS, BILSTIENS MAKE THE RIDE HARD ENOUGH, BUT IT HANDLES GREAT!

-Change Tires.
PIRELLI SCORPIONS FOR $187 FROM TIRERACK.COM...CONTIS ARE GOOD TOO.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
Here are the issues. cause / cost for repairs reference for the M163 folks.

Covered by warranty policy.
Limp Mode - Transmission conductive plate. $850 replace and install.

Not covered
Steering rack - Replace rack
remanufactured part only $500 + $200 core at carsteering.com
or
local rebuilding service $225
Labor is $450 w alignment. I choose local rebuild.
re: Recall. I went to the dealer last month.. They only replaced the lower hose and said there is no more recall on the steering.
Stability control pitch / activating brakes - Yaw rate sensor. $550
Windshield washer pump - new reservoir $50.
Fuel Level Gauge - is fuel pump. not worth doing since fuel pump still works.

Personal maintenence item.
rear Shocks - Bilstein $140 each. $130 to install both
Tires - Nitto 285/50/18 $117 each onlinetires.com.
Bulb - still shopping for it.

I tell ya.. you have to love these cars to be spending this kind of money on maintenence.

I think that yaw rate sensor should be a recall item but it isnt.
I posted a defect report at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Consumer.cfm

Last edited by fkong777; 01-11-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01 ML55, 91 Supra Turbo, 05 Audi S4
I've had my ML for @4+ yrs and spent over 15k in repairs so far,...it's a love hate thing or AMG (All Money Gone) relationship! If I keep it twenty more years the price may even out
Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
The money factor depends on how you look at it..

Originally Posted by hanniep
I've had my ML for @4+ yrs and spent over 15k in repairs so far,...it's a love hate thing or AMG (All Money Gone) relationship! If I keep it twenty more years the price may even out
Firstly, I would not recommend getting into a pre-owned AMG, forget AMG, I would not even consider buying a pre-owned luxury vehicle for that matter...luxury vehicles are expensive as hell to fix, and it is worth the investment by paying for new and get the 4 year warranty...

A pre-owned vehicle is always a mystery that is waiting to be unraveled..with a luxury vehicle, that adventure can prove to be very costly..I think, that's what ended up hurting your pocket...

I have had my ML (purchased new) for almost 10 years now (140K miles on it), and must have spent about $3000 in repairs (another $5000 in consumables and preventive maintainence, which I don't crib about at all - that's part of the deal of getting into a luxury car - oil changes, brake jobs and tires are pricier).

All in all, I don't see my ML as a money sucker.....with the numbers I posted above..

Of course warranty covered some 10-15 odd ball items in the first 4 years including two big ticket items - yaw sensor and catalytic converters..

Last edited by mihir_d; 01-11-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by mihir_d
Firstly, I would not recommend getting into a pre-owned AMG, forget AMG, ..
Some of us like our AMG's and wouldn't mind buying a pre owned. Sorry.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C32, 03 ML55
2003 ML55 - limp mode after full throttle

[QUOTE=fkong777;3889859]Here are the issues. cause / cost for repairs reference for the M163 folks.

Covered by warranty policy.
Limp Mode - Transmission conductive plate. $850 replace and install.

I also have this issue. I think I saw where you had a 2000 ML55 - is this correct? I have 2003 ML55.

I can jump on it and sometimes it will go - other times not - straight to limp mode. And once it goes to limp mode, I too have to turn it off and restart it to get the responsiveness back. Limp mode in LA traffic... sheesh, can get you run over.

Any one know what limp mode would have to do with whatever a transmission plate is? Trying have some knowledge of how it works so that I can speak intelligently about it. Which warranty policy? Did you purchase an after market policy or was this the MB warranty of some sort. I bought mine used a few years back, so

As for other issues:
I have the leaking vacuum brake booster hiss. MB wants $1200 to fix. Still debating on if I fix diy or pay to have it done.

Speedometer / Instrument panel - flickers and some times goes out altogether. Can't tell if it is my alternator, or if there is a short, or if it is the instrument panel itself. I have taken it out and reviewed the connectors.. nothing to report. Issue stayed same after putting back in.

Other than that, been a good ride.