M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

SRS & AIRBAG OFF indicators

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 ML320
Smile SRS & AIRBAG OFF indicators

My thanks to timdf and mbtech208 for replies to an earlier post. I finally had an opportunity to get the vehicle into the shop. The diagnosis and fix was in fact the sensored passenger seat cushion. Once exchanged with a new one, all's well.

I salvaged the foam cushion in order to investigate the problem but learned little. A "tape" with what presumably are pressure nodes does a good job of covering the flat area of the cushion. The "tape" (not unlike the clear ribbon cables inside much of today's electronics) terminates at some sort of sealed control box at the rear corner of the seat foam. A three-lead wire runs from this box to the connector under the seat.

I intend to disect the system further and, if successful, will report any findings that might be helpful for others to know.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230
Did you ever take the sensor apart?? I have a 2003 C230 with for the second time the SRS light is on. Both times my daughter was in the passenger seat. MB said they fixed it but within 3 days the light is on again. It is interesting to note that when the SRS light is on the rain sensing wipers stop doing their rain sensing bit and now the option of 30 second lights on when leaving the car no longer functions.