M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

CD Changer not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD Changer not working

I have a 2002 ML 500

The stereo is not recognizing the CD changer, when i click the CD button i get a message on the nav screen that sais "NO CHANGER" the cd changer will not let me eject the CD cartridge.

Has this happened to anyone?

I had a amp and 2 subwoofers installed the day before this happened, however best buy sais that has nothing to do with the CD changer is there any relation to installing and amp and 2 subs that would cause something to happen with the wiring for the CD changer ?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
Not sure where you live but I know someone who does installations for Best Buy and they normally won't touch a Benz, largely because of the issues you describe. Installing the amp and woofers definitely did affect your system, but I really wonder if the Best Buy "techs" are qualified to diagnose and fix the problem. They'll claim they did not do it, but installing any kind of amp affects the whole system from what I've read. I would complain loud and long to the store manager (not the install department) until they made good on their work.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:44 PM

i unplugged the cd changer then it worked for a little while when i changed CDs it went back to "NO CHANGER" message on the display

my last option is to go to the dealer i know they will want me to replace the CD changer or do something else that will be extremely expensive even if it is a minor issue,
Old 05-02-2010, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
The installation of the equipment would have lots to do with the changer. I would register your complaint with the store manager and try to get them to pay for your dealer repairing the issue. Would not let Best Buys touch it again, even to attempt to repair. When Circut City was in business they would not touch an MB at least the one that was near me.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:21 PM

Does anyone know specifically what could have been done, or what might have been incorrectly that would have affected the CD changer. it works at random times then stops and reads "NO CHANGER".

I had an amp installed to power one 12" subwoofer. Bestbuys explanation is that no wires were touched connecting the head unit to the cd changer.
The techs there have worked on Mercedes before and never had a problem who kows if there being honest or not

I guess I will have to take it to the dealer and see if they can tell me specifically what is wrong.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:49 PM

08' GL550 4Matic
Same Problem on a 2003 ML320

All of a sudden my changer went to unrecognized by coming up as "NO CHANGER" on the dash and when I attempt to eject the cartridge the eject light blinks and some movement occurs then it all stops. If you found a solution to this I would appreciate it. I didn't change any equipment on the car just put in new burned cd's, which I read on another forum has caused issues. PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP. Thanks
Old 01-01-2011, 10:08 PM

08' GL550 4Matic
Drove with the changer plugged in but not screwed in, accidentally drove rough and the changer hit the side of the trunk. Decided to work again and has been fine since so if anyone has this problem try messing around with it but not too much. Not worth the dealer price to replace. IS FIXABLE
Old 01-09-2011, 11:16 PM

2003 ML 350
Originally Posted by siby513
Does anyone know specifically what could have been done, or what might have been incorrectly that would have affected the CD changer.
Did you replace a Bose amp? If so, it may have everything to do with it. I think the Bose amp had fiber optic input by that year. The fiber network is a ring. If you remove with one part the rest is affected. There are fiber jumpers you can get to complete the ring but they are ridiculously priced from most sources. Look around and you can find one for less than $10.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:31 AM

2007 sl55 amg
FIBER-OPTIC JUMPER TO REPLACE CD CHANGER

Originally Posted by benzml350
Did you replace a Bose amp? If so, it may have everything to do with it. I think the Bose amp had fiber optic input by that year. The fiber network is a ring. If you remove with one part the rest is affected. There are fiber jumpers you can get to complete the ring but they are ridiculously priced from most sources. Look around and you can find one for less than $10.
The CD changer in my SL55 is dead.
Contrary to what has been said in this forum and in Mercedes service literature, the CD changer can be removed without taking all the trim off. There is a gap beside the CD changer on both sides (one wide one narrow).
All that is required is slim pair of water-pump pliers to loosen the 4 short bolts holding it in. These can be completely undone with a finger or a small sharp screw-driver. I have bought some knurled screws with the same thread to put it back. The screws must be cut down to 6mm length.
Once the CD changer is out ALL audio, nav, phone, liguatronic is lost until you pop in a jumper. Mine cost $13 from EBay (search MOST FIBER OPTIC LOOP).
Old 01-20-2014, 10:29 AM

2007 sl55 amg
Unhappy Why do CD Changers Fail on SLs?

Originally Posted by billandpixi
The CD changer in my SL55 is dead.
Contrary to what has been said in this forum and in Mercedes service literature, the CD changer can be removed without taking all the trim off. There is a gap beside the CD changer on both sides (one wide one narrow).
All that is required is slim pair of water-pump pliers to loosen the 4 short bolts holding it in. These can be completely undone with a finger or a small sharp screw-driver. I have bought some knurled screws with the same thread to put it back. The screws must be cut down to 6mm length.
Once the CD changer is out ALL audio, nav, phone, liguatronic is lost until you pop in a jumper. Mine cost $13 from EBay (search MOST FIBER OPTIC LOOP).
My car has 30,000 miles on it and is now on its third CD changer.
Why do they fail?
On the sides of the changer are two square plastic plugs.
They cover the suspension springs.
I believe that when the changers are supplied it is supposed that they are mounted horizontal in a trunk or glove box.
In the SL they are mounted vertically.
It seems that the square plastic plugs should be removed and the spring mount rotated so the springs are also vertical.
Hopefully the unit should then last longer.
BTW (and for what it is worth) there are two people who Mercedes should fire:-
The first is the one who selected the CD changers in the first place. I've had CD changers in all manner of cars and even boats (marine environment is tough) and never experience such a POS.
Secondly, the idiot who designed the CD mount in the SL which (according to the book) needs half the interior to be removed to get it out.