M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Puncture fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 01:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml320
Thumbs up Puncture fix

Just had a pleasant experience.

Over the years and various punctures I ahve tried re-inflating aerosoles, having the hole fixed by a tire shop for $, using the gunk you are meant to pour in the valve stem and my prefered route of just buy a new tire.

Anyway - this weekend I was musing over what to do about a very slow leak I have on my wifes ML320 that looses 5psi per week. Whilst in KMart I came across a $9 including tools that enables you to use a rasp to roughen the hole and then insert a peice of rubber plug. The plug is inserted whilst lubricated with glue as a lubricant/solvent. I did this and left it 18hours and hay presto - the leak is permanently fixed.

If you are a DIY keeno like this and have never come across this go check it out.

I know small thing please small minds:p
Old 03-31-2003, 03:35 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: Puncture fix

Originally posted by marineboy0
Whilst in KMart I came across a $9 including tools that enables you to use a rasp to roughen the hole and then insert a peice of rubber plug. The plug is inserted whilst lubricated with glue as a lubricant/solvent. I did this and left it 18hours and hay presto - the leak is permanently fixed.
Plugging your tire via that method can work, but I've had it fail on me as well, depending upon the puncture.

The reliable solution for a permanent fix, and fix that will survive hard driving and the associated higher tire temps and pressures, would be to have the tire plugged (which you did DIY) and patched (from the inside by a tire shop).

Better yet, a "stem patch" plugs and patches at the same time (tire shop again).
Old 03-31-2003, 06:49 PM

2002 S430
Discount Tire Co. also know as America's Tire Co. will patch anyone's tire for free and rebalance them after. It is just part of their marketing so that you will think of them next time you need to buy tires. I don't know where you live so I don't know if you have those stores there.. but hopefully you do

Jason
Old 04-01-2003, 08:18 AM
Almost a Member!

ml320
Thanks for your tips. I think Discount Tires franchises are only in the South and South West.

That type of hospitality seems alien here in Boston! - hope to be proven wrong.

Some Pete Guy -

I agree this isn't suitable for some puncture types . I doubt I would do this on a high speed vehicle and I will keep the tire on the rear.