M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Brand New 2003 - ML350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350, prelude5th
Smile Brand New 2003 - ML350

Hi,

I just got it home yesterday w/ an inspiration edition. It's quite of a good deal that I got out of the door w/ cd changer for under 42k ! I want to ask some of you about the available warranty program at the dealer. Should I buy any extended up to 100k miles, Lojack, .... to add into my billing payment ? Right now the ML only have 4 years/50K miles warranty. What about Lojack ? I think the 21st insurance company will cut down the premium if I have lojack right? Thanks in advance for your input.
Yeah, the ride home is quite exciting since I never have experienced w/ SUV. It's really way up high in the driver seat , and higher than any other SUVs that I passed by them !
Old 03-31-2003, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Well first off congrats on your new ML !

As far as Lojack, it is completely redundant and IMO not that useful if you get MB's TeleAid service, which already includes GPS satellite-based vehicle tracking if it is necessary. You probably have that right now if you filled out the forms - new MBs come with a free year of TeleAid service.

TeleAid is activated by the two button panels on the overhead console, one with the "i" and the wrench on it and the other that says SOS. Each of them will open up when you push on them (kind of like those safety flips for activating a missile from the movies) and underneath the first one are two buttons - the "i" will give you TeleAid's concierge/info service where you can ask any little questions about the car, route ambiguities, and IIRC also weather, stocks, etc. The wrench will put you through to MB Roadside Assistance, who can remotely diagnose any problems in the car and send out repair cars, etc. for minor problems like a flat tire or a broken switch or something or arrange for towing to a local dealer. The SOS button opens up to a red button that is meant for emergencies and is in case you need emergency assitance (they can call the police, ambulance, etc.) Also in a serious crash, the car will transmit crash data to MB, which will automatically call the police, ambulance, etc.

If you can get a nice deal on the extended warranty then go for it, otherwise you may want to just leave it.

Hope the info helps and good luck with your new ML!
Old 03-31-2003, 06:37 PM

ml350, prelude5th
Thanks for your advices.

I just read at edmunds . There are so many problems & minor problems with the older model ML320 that 90% messages recommend to get the extended warranty after 50k miles. Damn, that is a bad news for the ML320. I hope the ML350 should have done better. Anyway, I absolutely prepare for at least 50% deal on the extended warranty. $3,700 is way too much into the finance equation ! After every thing done, I have to drive this SUV with a different approach, that is not to over abuse this car . My current Honda Prelude 98 is so awesome & reliable for 110k at the moment
Old 04-01-2003, 12:30 AM

Re: Brand New 2003 - ML350

Originally posted by Danny D
Hi,

I just got it home yesterday w/ an inspiration edition. It's quite of a good deal that I got out of the door w/ cd changer for under 42k ! I want to ask some of you about the available warranty program at the dealer. Should I buy any extended up to 100k miles, Lojack, .... to add into my billing payment ? Right now the ML only have 4 years/50K miles warranty. What about Lojack ? I think the 21st insurance company will cut down the premium if I have lojack right? Thanks in advance for your input.
Yeah, the ride home is quite exciting since I never have experienced w/ SUV. It's really way up high in the driver seat , and higher than any other SUVs that I passed by them !
Congrats on your new purchase. You got an awesome deal. I 'm also in the mkt for a ml350. can you tell me which dealer you got it from and who did you deal with?
Old 04-01-2003, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Originally posted by Danny D
I just read at edmunds . There are so many problems & minor problems with the older model ML320 that 90% messages recommend to get the extended warranty after 50k miles. Damn, that is a bad news for the ML320. I hope the ML350 should have done better. Anyway, I absolutely prepare for at least 50% deal on the extended warranty. $3,700 is way too much into the finance equation ! After every thing done, I have to drive this SUV with a different approach, that is not to over abuse this car . My current Honda Prelude 98 is so awesome & reliable for 110k at the moment
The minor problems that early MLs faced were mostly in the '98 and '99 model years. I'm not sure if you have driven a '98 ML320 but the difference between that and an '00-'03 and especially the '02/'03 models vs. the '98 is tremendous.

The problems are basically as a result of cost-cutting efforts (you have to remember MB created the midsize luxury segment, and to do so, the price for a base ML320 could not be in the $40k's) in the early models. In '99, ESP and a few other safety features were added. In '00, the ML interior was revamped (all new colors and some new components) and the exterior was slightly modified - colored bumper covers for the 320. In '01, some new technology was added and a downhill descent control. For the 2002 model year, the ML was facelifted, and many interior changes were made, as well as exterior (new bumper covers, clear projector headlights, built-in fog lights, etc.) changes. Plus over 1500 internal components were changed out. For '03, nothing was changed, and for about the '2003.3 model year', the ML320 was made into the ML350, with the 3.2L V6 being stretched into a 3.7L V6 with a gain of about 20 HP.

Many of the quality problems of the early MLs are now rare in the newer trucks, and hopefully the production will be up to German-made MB quality when the W164 (next-gen) ML comes out in late 2004 as a 2005 model year vehicle.

As far as reliability, recent ('00-current) MLs are pretty reliable - the issue that appears on many forums is that some of the early MLs messed up the truck's reputation, so many still think it's an unreliable vehicle.

Personally, a relative's '01 ML320 now has about 40k miles and not a single problem - has only been to the dealer for regular servicing. My '02 ML, although it only has about 3500 miles on it, also has had no problems.

So you'll probably enjoy your car a lot - new car technology is amazing. (just check out the SL ) But as a result, the entire market's cars are getting less reliable because technology=sub-old-car-reliability for the most part. That doesn't mean they're unreliable, just that for example a current 7-series is nowhere near as reliable as for example maybe a W124 E-Class or a similar-aged 5 or 7-series.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:58 PM

ml350, prelude5th
Thumbs up

Hi,

I got it at House of Import MBZ.com. It's a matter of your smart bargain. Ex. what ever on the sticker price that is a minimum margin price you want to pay out of the door.
you see ?! The rate is excellent at MB. I got it at 5.9%.

I am still don't know if I need extended warranty & lojack or not, but I think I will .