M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Spare tire carrier

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare tire carrier

I have seen a ML with a Spare tire carrier with swing arm installed at rear, also come with the brake light, it looks cool, anyone have any idea we can get it?
Old 04-06-2003, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
It used to be available in the US in the '98 model year (maybe '99 also), but with the addition of the M7 (3rd row seat) package, they saw that if you got that along with the tire carrier, the third-row safety would not match MBUSA safety requirements, so the carrier was discontinued for the US market.

There used to be a California dealer that used to stock them for some reason, but I don't believe that kind of a setup still exists, so if you want the carrier, you'll probably have to order it from Europe or something like that.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:36 AM
Almost a Member!

ML320
You mean something like this!

Originally posted by mbakshi
It used to be available in the US in the '98 model year (maybe '99 also), but with the addition of the M7 (3rd row seat) package, they saw that if you got that along with the tire carrier, the third-row safety would not match MBUSA safety requirements, so the carrier was discontinued for the US market.

There used to be a California dealer that used to stock them for some reason, but I don't believe that kind of a setup still exists, so if you want the carrier, you'll probably have to order it from Europe or something like that.
I actually have one on my ML. It is great when you need to change your tire because it is easy to access, but it is a pain to always swing the tire out of the way when you need to open the tailgate ... Mine actually came with the ML when I first bought it, but from what I have heard ... they are not selling them to the US because of safety requirements ... it also slightly limits rear visibility ...

Check out this website: http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/ml320_M4.html, it was where I got the picture from.