M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Any comments re WSJ article about MB declining quality control??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BENZ
I agree!

Mercedes MLs as well as other models have their problems, especially with fuel pumps, window switches, oil consumption, harmonic dampers etc... I dont believe it all lies with MBUSA. The parts that are failing are not made by MBUSA. They are bought by MB from different manufacturers. Thats where the problem begins. As for my income... All I can say is JOB SECURITY!!!!! They keep braking, I keep getting paid.
Old 03-28-2002, 04:15 PM

'00 ML430 & '02 Porsche 996
Why I hold MB USA responsible...

is primarily because I suspect MB USA let their component suppliers get away with shipping sub-standard parts or perhaps less likely because MB USA has relaxed the specs so much that suppliers are allowed to supply problematic components.

It's MB USA's job to make sure components are up to snuff - patently they've not been doing their job as well as they might.

That said, the overall the build quality from the factory is OK, it's just the darned components !

Still it keeps guys like you in a job and you know exactly what to do when someone reports a known defect ;-)

Well that about wraps it up...

Tim in San Diego
Old 03-28-2002, 04:35 PM

BENZ
Thanks!

Its been good talking to you Tim, take care & keep motoring...
Old 03-28-2002, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Tim, once again you and I agree...

that the main problem is not so much the build quality as it is the RAW MATERIALS. Many of them are now FLAT CHEAP. This is distressing that Germany would slash their quality requirements so much as to lower costs by so little. Plastic, glass, carpets, and electronics are the main areas that are nowhere near the previous generation cars. And this is all in the name of the dollar. The Daimler beancounters value profits (read, units) over quality. And MBUSA is ovbiously telling them that they can get away with it as the MB customer base becomes younger in America. These first or second time Benz buyers have no frame of references for real Benz quality; they think the W210 or 202 is a well built car. I will say once again that a true Mercedes customer--a lifer, with the proper treatment--would be happy to pay 5% more for a substantially better guilt car. And when these new owners do complain, service advisors (perhaps like our friend above?) tell them that hey, that's just the way it is. In fact, what they should do is to encourage them to contact New Jersey as well as politely making their thoughts known to the local franchisee. Sorry, I'm through. Again.
Man, I'm glad my Dad didn't live to see this.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:07 AM

BENZ
(Your friend above)

What would you have me say to them? I wish I could pull a rabbit out of my hat. I never said Mercedes Benz vehicles were bullet proof. I did agree the quality is lower than ever. What would you say to an MB owner that is having problems with their ML? I don't lie to them. If someone asks me why their ML will not start, I tell them most likely a bad fuel pump assembly. When they ask me why the fuel pump is going bad at 30,000 miles, I say poor manufacturing. The standards MB is setting is far lower than in the past. I AGREE!! How would YOU make it right with a distraught customer with quality problems?
Old 03-29-2002, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Sorry, my point was not to..

personally insult you. I know that service writers have a tough job. I was simply suggesting that if the customer was indeed as frustrated as many of us are, that it would help you, them, and us if you let them know that pointing this out to your franchisee/dealer principal, MBUSA, and Daimler Chrysler if possible, would be a good idea. Of course, my experience in the last couple of years indicates that D/C doesn't care at all, and MBUSA doesn't care that much. But again, I didn't mean for that to attack you personally. You asked what I'd have you do, that's just my suggestion. Thanks for the dialogue.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:07 AM

2002 S500, 2001 ML430
MB Quality -- its our fault

I'm a victim of poor MB quality -- on a 2001 ML 430 and a 2001 S500 (that MB has to replace with a 2002 due to repeat failures).

Bottom line - WE keep buying these vehicles despite knowing of the quality issues. IT'S OUR OWN FAULT. If we spoke loudly with our wallets, MB would have to listen and remedy the issues.

As long as the consumer's dollar keeps pouring into MB cars, and sales go through the roof... MB is not incented to do anything.

A nice 20-30% drop in sales should get MB management attention. The Customer Surveys and warranty feedback (dealer to MB) obviously isn't working!

Just my thoughts -- but I will NEVER buy another MB product again.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:34 AM

BENZ
Bingo!

It is a shame the quality is getting so poor & consumers like yourself are suffering. I wish mb would open their eyes. I wish I could do more than just complain to the company. But for now I'll just keep telling unhappy Benz owners to call the home office with their complaints. If that does no good, MB will suffer in the long run. I still am happy with my 00 ml 430.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:37 AM

BENZ
allanjdmb

Didn't mean to come off as an a--. I just didn't want to be mistaken for an uncaring advisor. You have a great point. You are right, They probably are not listening to the complaints.